Gibson Brands Forums

Crack along neck pls help!

Is it really cracked? Or is that just a separation line in the paint where they sprayed over the edge of the fret board? Hard to tell from your picture. Sometimes that happens when the masking is up a bit high on the FB and the paint doesn't hold as well to the rosewood so it hairlines along the edge. Can you slip a thin card or something similar into the crack?

If it's new, I'd ask the seller about it. If it's used, I'd play it under tension and see if it gets worse.

IMO worse case might be having to have the FB re-glued to the neck.

Good luck

Is it really cracked? Or is that just a separation line in the paint where they sprayed over the edge of the fret board? Hard to tell from your picture. Sometimes that happens when the masking is up a bit high on the FB and the paint doesn't hold as well to the rosewood so it hairlines along the edge. Can you slip a thin card or something similar into the crack?

If it's new, I'd ask the seller about it. If it's used, I'd play it under tension and see if it gets worse.

IMO worse case might be having to have the FB re-glued to the neck.

Good luck

Thanks, pretty sure it's a cracked be impossible to get a card or anything like rants as its super thin.

To my eyes it looks like a crack of the finish only. Sometimes glue "working" under the finish may break through it, that's what happened to my Custom Shop Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess along the Axcess-shaped, shaved neck joint. Thomann repaired it on warranty, but it was a simpler task since the finish is clear and untinted. Works nicely until today.

In case of interest, you may refer to this topic: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/105284-glue-blowing-out-of-axcess-neck-joint/

That's a good pic.

Unfortunately, it's still impossible to tell without an inspection. That area there could be a finish crack from from expansion/contraction, or it could be stress crack from something like a whack to the headstock. Both are pretty common. (could be just the finish even if caused by a hit-that wouldn't be a problem).

What does the rest of the guitar look like? I mean, for cracks?

One way to check would be to see if you can get it to move. If you can press it together and see movement, it's a crack in the wood. You might grab the headstock and put some pressure, see if it moves that way. (Obviously, be careful).

That's a good pic.

Unfortunately, it's still impossible to tell without an inspection. That area there could be a finish crack from from expansion/contraction, or it could be stress crack from something like a whack to the headstock. Both are pretty common. (could be just the finish even if caused by a hit-that wouldn't be a problem).

What does the rest of the guitar look like? I mean, for cracks?

One way to check would be to see if you can get it to move. If you can press it together and see movement, it's a crack in the wood. You might grab the headstock and put some pressure, see if it moves that way. (Obviously, be careful).

Here's a better one http://postimg.org/image/7jurf970h/30d001c6/ note the pic makes the crack 10x bigger than what it is.

It's second hand so there's a couple of dents etc on the top of the head stock and body. The guy that send it said it must of happened in transit , he said it's not a big deal to fix but said if am unsure I can always send it back so I trust him. I put some pressure on it and could see no movement.

It's possible, it's a finish crack, but caused by outside forces. Specifically, instead of the wood breaking or the glue separating, it flexes from a hit of some sort and the finish gives way.

I am making a guess that's what happened, because finish cracks from age are usually more uniform and on more of the guitar, they also usually start as a line or show uneven surfaces between woods or finish lines. And, that IS a critical area, the spot where a lot of the dreaded headstock breaks happen.

But don't guess, find out as soon as possible. Before the return policy is up.

we've seen cracks like this before.

look in the SG thread. the conclusion was it was the finish flaw in separating from the rose wood join, and not really a "Crack" but I am not sure it was ever substantiated.

Archived