Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! 1994 Les Paul Studio MIII

HEADKNOCKER

I'm doing a setup currently on my 94 Studio Lite MIII, NOTE: Truss Rod Cover removed in pic #1..

It's getting .010" Vintage Nickel Gibson Strings

What a sweet guitar with all the sounds of a Strat & Les Paul Classic Plus 1

1994 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite MIII

ACEMIII%20I.jpg

ACEMIII%20II.jpg

ACEMIII%20III.jpg

ACEMIII%20IIII.jpg

Congrats! [thumbup] Sweet looking Les Paul! Never seen one like that before. Bet it does sound sweet, especially with the single coil in the middle. Is it a 5 way switch with a coil split mini toggle?

Well Kinda!! First I'll call position 1 the Bridge & 5 the neck as far as the 5 way switch goes in single coil or 1 on the mini toggle

It is wired exactly like a Strat in 1 on the mini toggle, In position 2 of the mini 1 is the bridge, 2 is both humbuckers & 3 is the neck humbucker, 4 is the neck pickup thru a inductance coil & cap, sounds almost like the tone control rolled back with the highs reduced, 5 is a bypass or kill = No sound.. Same as the early 90s Gibson MIII..

The mini toggle is a little more than just a coil tap, I have a wiring diagram from Gibson for this guitar & a this specs sheet

Also note this guitar has a rosewood fretboard, not ebony as listed on the 1992 specs sheet, The NSX single coil is the same as used on the 3 pickup Nighthawks..

This Guitar is a Strat & a Les Paul & has a chambered body that's filled with Chromyte/Balsa instead of air like they use currently

Also special thanks to icantbuyafender for the Killer Leather ACEish strap

MIII%20Body%20Front%20II.jpg

MIII%20Body%20Rear.jpg

MIII%20Specs%20Sheet.jpg

JFYI I had never "IN PERSON" seen one of the Les Paul MIIIs till last Friday when this huge 16lb box came from UPS..

First saw one of these on the back of a FREE poster given out at the music store, It was Slash IIRC?

I still have a few of them rolled up in storage somewhere? I have a few ACE Frehley & Joe Perry posters too..

This was a great promotional item that Gibson put out in the Mid 90s, And it worked as I've been looking for one ever since.

Here's the small picture from the back of that poster..

Gary/Hk

Still have the strings off the "BIG RED" Lester as I just haven't had time, I'm also thinking about putting .009"s on it too!!

I'll get around to the setup today if time allows..

Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20Studio%20Lite%20MIII.jpg

GibsonBox.jpg

Well Kinda!! First I'll call position 1 the Bridge & 5 the neck as far as the 5 way switch goes in single coil or 1 on the mini toggle

It is wired exactly like a Strat in 1 on the mini toggle, In position 2 of the mini 1 is the bridge, 2 is both humbuckers & 3 is the neck humbucker, 4 is the neck pickup thru a inductance coil & cap, sounds almost like the tone control rolled back with the highs reduced, 5 is a bypass or kill = No sound.. Same as the early 90s Gibson MIII..

The mini toggle is a little more than just a coil tap, I have a wiring diagram from Gibson for this guitar & a this specs sheet

Also note this guitar has a rosewood fretboard, not ebony as listed on the 1992 specs sheet, The NSX single coil is the same as used on the 3 pickup Nighthawks..

This Guitar is a Strat & a Les Paul & has a chambered body that's filled with Chromyte/Balsa instead of air like they use currently

Also special thanks to icantbuyafender for the Killer Leather ACEish strap

MIII%20Body%20Front%20II.jpg

MIII%20Body%20Rear.jpg

MIII%20Specs%20Sheet.jpg

Cool! Sounds like a sweet guitar! I have a black 1975 Gibson L6-S Custom and you can get some very sweet tones out of it. Love the Ace Frehley style lightning bolt strap, by the way! [thumbup]

I still haven't gotten back around to the Gibson LP MIII but will sometime soon..

My Wifes been sick & I'm afraid that it's very serious, She's going to a hematologist tomorrow for blood work & bone marrow testing for a high white cell count..

I can't really even think about anything else.. We've been married for 32 years.. Trying to keep Her spirits up.. Hoping for the best..

Here I am awake at 1:30 in the morning again..

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

There were a few issues with the MIII that I hadn't disclosed

First The neck pickup was off center & needed the ears bent & straightened up

The headstock repair that was previously done by the last owner wasn't filled & sanded smooth plus the paint is sticky?? I assume that Nitro was sprayed over Acylic Laquer primer, The white stuff.. The whole neck is tacky & will have to be stripped back to the original finish I'm afraid

I've sanded the necks glue joint smooth & trimmed down the dowels flush & have it just about ready to primer/seal on the rear..

BTW the repair is solid as a rock & feels really good now..

Remember I got a steal on this guitar & it just needed some love, Besides it sounds fantastic..

BEFORE

MIII%20Headstock%20Rear%20II.jpg

zzmiii.jpg

AFTER

Polish The Frets

Fret%20Polish%201.jpg

Glue Joint Repair

Headstock%20Repair%20II.jpg

Update: Sunday May 10th Mother's Day

Got the peghead stripped & all the non factory red/cranberry paint removed & got the neck smooth with 400 so far..

Headstock%20Repair%20IIII.jpg

Headstock%20Stripped.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's how my 1994 Gibson Studio Lite MIII is coming along, I'm waiting for the trans red to gas off before wet sanding & buff & spray the black on the front of the headstock, then more wetsanding then clearcoat then more wetsanding then polish IF everything goes RIGHT!! [thumbup]

paint%20lp%20neck%201.jpg

paint%20lp%20neck%202.jpg

paint%20lp%20neck%203.jpg

MIII%20Neckjoint.jpg

MIII%20headstock.jpg

Archived