Gibson Brands Forums

Spirit neck converter

Greg555

I have a spirit GT pro that uses double ball strings. I heard online that there is a neck converter for it that can be used with conventional strings. I watched a you tube video where a guy says that double ball strings are very good. What is your opinion about that? IM leery of the locking string head cause it seems that the strings would slip or kink the strings. Do ya'll think the double strings are better or the regular ones?

And... Where can I get one please?

I have never heard of double strings before I discovered the Steinberger.

Where would be the best place to get the converter?

IM saying that I have the Spirit GT Pro based on what I see online but IM not positive if its a standard or Pro and don't know how to know the difference.

Do ya'll think the double strings are better or the regular ones?

And... Where can I get one please?

I have never heard of double strings before I discovered the Steinberger.

Where would be the best place to get the converter?

Hi Greg,

I don't think there is a "better", it's just about preferences (only a TransTrem would require double ball end strings). Double ball end strings are fine, because they are so easy to install and replace. No problem with slippage ever. However, they may be hard to find sometimes, and some people think they're expensive. For those there are solutions using either an adapter or a "combined headpiece", which both allow using regular strings.

1. The adapter, held at the headpiece just by the string tension.

2. The combined headpiece. Allows the use of both double ball and single ball end strings, and fits on a Spirit neck (not on Hohner necks, btw.). Simply replaces the existing headpiece.

Bernd

Correction: the you tube video says that double stings are "not" very good.

I swear by double ball strings. That is all I use on my Hohner G2T and Sprit. I would never use anything else. I have never broken a string, love the quick string changes, no problem with the bridge string holders. The only time I would use regular stings on my headless is if I wanted to use flat wounds for more of a jazz oriented sound in which I would have to get an adapter but that's it.

Double balls strings for me are the way to go. I use 9's and sometimes 10's, GHS and Steinberger strings.

Archived