Gibson Brands Forums

Michael Schenker and Kirk Hammett on That Metal Show

Riffster

I saw that too last night. Great stuff. [love] Thanks for the behind the scenes clip. [thumbup]

What's cool is that little jam really illustrates the different ways the two guys approach note choice/phrasing etc. Hammett has a more"American" feel - more blues based. Schenker of course has something more "European" going on. His note choice always slays me - little outside stuff that fits melodically so well. I'm always like... "how did he think of that?". So tasty. He's a beast. [thumbup]

Yes, Surfpup, I am right there with you. The different techniques side by side were so cool to watch.

I can't believe how they picked this up just on the fly and sounded so damn good for the take on the actual show, they nailed it.

Damon Johnson as the invited guest was the cherry on top too. He is a solid player, I had the fortune to be right in front of him at the Black Star Riders show and he handed me one of his picks.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in Gwangyang, South Korea and I DVR that show. Going to watch it when I get home in a few days.

Hey, my wife is from Daegu. Is this your first time in SK? We went back in 2006 and hit Daegu, Busan, Seoul, and Jeju Island. One of the most amazing trips I have ever taken.

That was pretty cool. [thumbup]

Though it doesn't seem that Kurt understands the Peter Green pickup thing very well. He should read more guitar forums. :rolleyes:

Yea, none of the 3 guitars players seemed to be informed. They must spend their time playing instead of posting in forums or something.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw that too last night. Great stuff. [love] Thanks for the behind the scenes clip. [thumbup]

What's cool is that little jam really illustrates the different ways the two guys approach note choice/phrasing etc. Hammett has a more"American" feel - more blues based. Schenker of course has something more "European" going on. His note choice always slays me - little outside stuff that fits melodically so well. I'm always like... "how did he think of that?". So tasty. He's a beast. [thumbup]

I just re-watched this episode. One thing I noticed that they both did the same. I didn't see either one of them use their pinky finger at all except when playing power chords. :-k

... I didn't see either one of them use their pinky finger at all except when playing power chords. :-k

... I try not to use my pinkey that much. Both my pinkey's have slight bends at the last bone...

I don't think I could play lead as well without my pinky... I use it all the time. Don't use my right one much though even whilst finger picking.

Archived