Gibson Brands Forums

1965 Sorrento w/2 mini-humbuckers

jaxson50

I came this eusa_listen.gif close to trading a 1996 Taylor 814ce for an original Epiphone Sorrento, tobacco burst with two mini-humbuckers. The party is asking $1,900.00, the Epi is in great condition, one minor ding, looks like there was a professional repair done to the neck, body joint, plays wonderfully, the switch is clean, pots work great.I'm still thinking..... eusa_wall.gif

• 3 weeks later...
1429548803[/url]' post='1651279']

IMHO, $1,900 is too much for that guitar with a neck repair. Original Sorrentos without repairs have been going on eBay for considerably less.

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't too sure about the price, but thought it was a bit steep. But I must say with the switch in the middle position that Sorrento sure has a sweet voice. I liked the feel of the neck, has me thinking about a Epi ES-175 ,

Is there any particular year or edition to look for?The new ones I see are satin finished, how does the Epi satin finish hold up?

That's a very good point. I have one of the new ones, and it is a satin finish. It seems strong enough to me, but I won't be taking it anywhere, and it's one of a dozen that get regular play, so it will have a good life. You may be right about the durability, I am pretty sure if I was gigging it it would look pretty bad pretty soon.

rct

1431306994[/url]' post='1656773']

That's a very good point. I have one of the new ones, and it is a satin finish. It seems strong enough to me, but I won't be taking it anywhere, and it's one of a dozen that get regular play, so it will have a good life. You may be right about the durability, I am pretty sure if I was gigging it it would look pretty bad pretty soon.

rct

You have have the premium with Gibson pickups? That's the one I saw. They want $899.00 for it. Sound about right?

You have have the premium with Gibson pickups? That's the one I saw. They want $899.00 for it. Sound about right?

That's the one. It really is a great guitar. I got it home in a case for under 850 last...August I think. A little haggling with MF did the trick.

rct

A'96 Taylor 814 is too great a piece-- if the Sorrento had no repairs, particularly in the area described, I would think it would be a matter of the guitar you would play most. In this case, I personally would hold on to the Taylor.

• 2 weeks later...
1432076574[/url]' post='1659388']

A'96 Taylor 814 is too great a piece-- if the Sorrento had no repairs, particularly in the area described, I would think it would be a matter of the guitar you would play most. In this case, I personally would hold on to the Taylor.

Thanks! I have decided to do just that! My delima is I have to darn many nice guitars and before I buy anymore I have to sell somethingmsp_cursing.gif, ! It comes down to selling a Taylor 814ce, or a Martin D-35, or a Tacoma AJF22CE. I have a 1946 Gibson L-4 which I can not bring myself to sell. It's a good problem to have, but cash is nice too!

• 1 month later...

Archived