Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone help me identify this ES-335?

Hey all!

I need some help identifying an ES-335 I just picked up on craigslist. The previous owner thought it was a ’59 historic reissue but I think he was incorrect. For starters the serial # does not start with an “A”, there is no “Custom Shop” label on the back of the headstock, it has a serial # stamped on the back of the headstock, and the case doesn’t say “Custom”.

When I look up the model number it appears that it might be a Fat Neck Reissue. It definitely has a huge beefy neck. And it looks like a Fat Neck Reissue with the vintage style tuners and gold knobs. But the serial number of this guitar dates to 2005 and the final pack checklist is dated 1/24/06. And according to the Gibson website the Fat Neck Reissues didn’t come out until 2008. Also, this guitar has the short pickguard instead of the long pickguard that is supposed to come on the Fat Neck Reissues.

So what exactly do I have here? Is it a just regular Dot reissue with a huge neck? Was it maybe a custom order? It plays great and sounds awesome. I would just like to know what I have in my hands. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Model number as listed on label inside the f-hole: ESDPA335

Model number as listed on final pack checklist: ESDPAEBNH1

Serial number: 02455727

pic01_zps1jvm2foq.jpg

pic02_zpsopglicgl.jpg

pic03_zps3kwojj2h.jpg

pic04_zpsl71msw03.jpg

pic05_zpsvdw5zwuz.jpg

pic06_zpsstvamgnb.jpg

pic07_zpsdjf8glri.jpg

pic08_zpsb4nhwek8.jpg

pic09_zpshgzovuhy.jpg

pic10_zpsfvytm3wq.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Reissues, have such model numbers: "ES59...", and "ES63...", these days.

However...

This is a Fat Neck Dot Reissue in Antique Ebony finish from Custom Shop, made in 2005.

Cheers... Bence

Hello and welcome to the Forums!Reissues, have such model numbers: "ES59...", and "ES63...", these days.However...This is a Fat Neck Dot Reissue in Antique Ebony finish from Custom Shop, made in 2005. Cheers... Bence

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I was hoping. But it doesn't have a Custom Shop logo on the back and the case doesn't say "Custom", so can it really be a Custom Shop reissue? Or were they just not doing those on the Fat Neck's in 2005 yet?

Hey I know exactly what that is...what you have there is.......a FREAKING GORGEOUS ES335!!!What more does one need to know!! :)Just kidding, but seriously that is really nice..

Thanks! It's been played over the past few years so it has some "beauty marks". But it still looks pretty sexy in person :-)

Archived