Gibson Brands Forums

Learn and Master DVD Series

photodusty

I know there is a "Skills" section on the forum....I have been there and that is where I have found the Steve Krenz DVD series. Does anyone have an opinion on this? It does look good. I am wondering if there is anything else I should look into?

I have been playing for 10 years. Stuck on what I know. Chords and Barre Chords. Looking to expand and learn at my leisure.

db

I may not be the best opinion on this. I have had the course for 2 years now and have not progressed beyond page 7. The early part of the course focuses a lot on nmes of notes, and music theory. Not my thing, and i never was a good or patient student of anything.

I bought the course in December. At that point, I had been taking guitar lessons for a year and a half and had just quit my second guitar instructor (my first instructor left to pursue a different career path and I just didn't jive with the new instructor). At that point, I had learned chords and was able to read simple tabs. Very little music theory, etc. which is what I wanted. This course gave me what I needed. I kinda stopped after Lesson 4 (learning how to read music and first position notes) and now I just started taking lessons at Guitar Center here in Columbia, SC which just opened. Their instruction starts out learning how to read music and first position chords so the Learn and Master course was very valuable to me.

I think it depends on what you want to learn. I found it a good tool. Maybe not the only tool but it goes well as a supplement to what I'm learning from my current instructor.

I've had the course for a couple of years. I bought it after many years off/on and thought it would be a good refresher and a way to fill in holes.

IMO it's too basic for anybody that is beyond basic beginner.

Try out guitartricks.com Very well laid out and tons of stuff to challenge. I will likely keep this subscription active forever :)

No, I'm not affiliated

I've been working with it for a few years.It is tedious,since it does not give many enjoyable tunes one might want to put in your reportoire....but it is "very good" for learning music theory and how it relates to the instrument.I recommend it as long as you have another series of instructional stuff to go along with it,where you can add tunes....I'm using "Flatpicking Essentials" along with the L&MG course.

Archived