Gibson Brands Forums

Incredible Epi Acoustic

Jockobadger

Hello All, I've just recently joined up and I'm happy to be here. FYI, I've been playing for 40+ years, I'm still not very good (but love it) and I've owned somewhere around 100 guitars of pretty much all the usual marques. Further, I've been reading this site for years, lurked on the forums, etc., because of all the great info that's available.

The reason I finally joined up is that I just have to share this story. This past Saturday, a good friend of mine came to visit me in FC. The last few years have been a bit difficult for me for reasons I won't go into but are health-related. The short version is that I have slowly had to divest myself of all my guitars but my beloved 1980 LP and my '73 Tele. Most recently I was finally forced to sell my Huss and Dalton DS-12 12-fret (if you're not familiar with H&D, you should get familiar - they are wonderful instruments, built like I understand Gibsons used to be.) Because of that, I've lately been jonesing for an acoustic to play around with at night (like I bet most of you do.) I had complained several times to my buddy about it. Well, he arrived on my doorstep Saturday and the first thing in the door was truly beat-up dread with a oddly script "Epiphone" on the headstock and a ratty Hard Days Night sticker of John Lennon on the top! Needless to say I was delighted but tried not to show it (I was cautiously optimistic that it was actually an old "real" Epi.) Anyway, we had much to discuss about other matters and I was forced to set it aside without being able to look it over (but I kept eyeing it when he wasn't looking.) In passing, he mentioned that it had been given to his wife but she didn't know how to play and didn't seem inclined to learn so he spirited it away to give to me. After an eternity he took off and I gave it an initial once-over. It was filthy and had obviously been mistreated. My buddy said he had put on new strings, but they couldn't "get it in tune." He had also said the strings were too far away from the fretboard - he was right. After a brief look, I realized that A) there was a large crack in the neck immediately below the headstock and B) it had been set up to play left-handed including a reversed nut, etc.! The low E string was suspended above a much-to-narrow slot in the nut and the high E was swimming in it's slot! It was also tuned way above E and the headstock was pulling away from the neck. I reduced tension, tweaked the truss-rod a bit, tuned it, and I was astounded at the sound it made!!! The resonance and sustain and overtones and volume are all truly amazing! It is obvious from the condition of the area around the pickguard and the neck that it has been played, played and then played some more! Talk about opening up! The sticker inside says its a PR-350S - what seems to be a sort of middle-of-the-road Epi with spruce top and mahog sides and back. The mahog that comprises the back is really quite beautiful and appears to be whole wood but the (thin) finish is flaking off (poly or nitro?) I removed the end pin and it has the same wood for the sides. The top is obviously a couple of pieces of very nice spruce. The neck joint has been repaired (very amateurishly) and it appears that at some point in the past, smallish holes (~1/4") were punched into the sides. These were filled with what looks like Elmers or Tite-bond and allowed to dry. The top wood is in quite good condition, but the finish is marred with numerous scratches, etc. I have left the Lennon sticker on to preserve the "mojo" - at least for now. This guitar sounds so incredible, I'm afraid to mess it up. I gave it a decent strum and timed it with my watch - No lie, I could still hear it ringing 25 seconds later! I thought I had heard the most beautiful guitar in the world with my H & D twelve fret (Adi and Mahog). This thing isn't quite that good, but it's damn close. Here it is two days later and I'm still sitting here picking (which is gorgeous) and I still can't believe it.

SO! - Now what do I do? I was initially inclined to do a bunch of stuff just to put right the injustices that have been committed. Now I'm not sure. I know that I'll have to repair the crack near the headstock - it's ugly. About the rest of it?? I'm not even sure about replacing the nut, though it looks absolutely crazy the way it is. The weird thing is it plays like butter (hate that expression, but it's apt) stays in tune, and the low E doesn't jump off the nut! I believe this beast was built in Korea and whoever did it really knew what he was doing. The serial number is 8902000103. No marking as to its origin. It's actually a weird sticker - just model and serial no.

What do you guys think? Sorry about the long-winded account, but I am just bursting to tell some folks who'll understand! Your thoughts would be appreciated. I've attached a couple of photos - I'll take better ones, particularly of the crack and the neck joint - I'd like opinions on that.

Love to hear a happy Epi acoustic story. Apparently it's a 1989, one of the earliest of the "S" models, which Epiwiki has as running from 1990-2003. As you say, it's a nice solid top, but indications are that the back and sides are lam mahogany. (?) Still, that top with x-bracing must really have come together for a perfect storm of good vibes, from the sound of it. [thumbup]

Yes, load pics to photobucket or some such, then add link from there to the 'insert image' button that runs along the top of the reply screen.

Archived