Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Hummingbird Natural

iwalktheline

Hey guys, so I just wanted to share a bit of my new acquisition. I have only had it for a few hours now, but I'm definitely impressed so far. I believe it's a (2008), Epiphone Hummingbird Natural. It also appears to be solid top and it's actually very beautiful. I know these things had a limited run and I have tried for years to get one. I haven't looked in quite some time and just last week, happened to go on ebay and for shits & giggles did a search. Well, it was the first one to come up, and at a very decent price. I shouldn't have , but I couldn't pass it up since they are so rare. I was actually eying a Gibson Natural Hummingbird, but it had too many questions and concerns and a lot more than the Epiphone. So, I saved myself some big time money and so far I'm quite happy about it. Eventually, I'm going to switch all the plastic parts to bone or tusq, but for now it's pretty damn good.

17031700879_f035b35f57.jpg

lll by johnjel80, on Flickr

17031700789_555aec5727.jpg

$_57 by johnjel80, on Flickr

17031700719_f27ce22e49.jpg

lkl by johnjel80, on Flickr

That is freaking awesome!

lol, I know. The more I play it, the more I realize I got a deal/steal. I have had probably too many epiphone acoustics over the years and this one is without a doubt done a lot better. I have had probably 4 other epiphone hummingbirds (cherry burst) and this by far absolutely friggin kills them all. I'm honestly not saying that to brag or gloat, it's just different, but in a lot better way. I have a ej-200 and that sounds like absolute **** compared to this. I honestly don't think anybody ever played this except for strumming it in the store I bought it from. It has almost no markings on it at all except for a few pick marks on the pick guard. It's absolutely flawless, I did swap out the plastic bridge pins with some older bone ones that I had. This is also a lot heavier than previous epi hummingbirds and doves I have had. I'm thinking that has to do with it actually having a solid top (maybe sides also?), but that's just a guess. I'm digging it, I'm definitely digging it.

I also have a 2008 Epiphone Hummingbird (not natural (cherry burst)). Like you, I have noticed that it does seem to be a physically heavier instrument than most other guitars I've handled. I know mine does have a solid top. I'm not very good at describing the way a guitar sounds, but I very much like the way mine sounds. It has a unique sound different from any other guitar I own.

I'm on board with you in being very happy that I purchased it (I also purchased it used but in pretty much unplayed condition). A while back I felt the need to thin the herd a bit, and ended up selling an AJ220S that I also very much enjoyed and appreciated. However in comparing the two, the sound of the Hummingbird was head and shoulders above the AJ220S, at least to my ears.

Have fun with yours.

I could be wrong, but that one looks like a short scale...In any event, that is one handsome guitar! I want one now!!!

If you are serious that you want one, good luck. Again, I had been looking for one for years. I honestly think they were only out for maybe 1-2 years. I can't find much info on them online. She still sound good and I still have no regrets. Now I want a Epiphone Dove Natural. Those are hard to find now. I had one years ago, but had to sell it to put towards another guitar. I regret that one a bit, but I'm sure one will pop up sooner or later.

I really like that grain on the top - though I don't like the hummingbird scratchplate - it's a bird thing....

I'm rather fond of birds, but I tend to agree. Purely a subjective opinion, but I'm just not fond of "pictures" on the pickguard. Guitars are gorgeous 3-D sculptures. They really don't need a 2-D picture added to them. But again, that's just me. And Mick. For sure, many people like the added artistic touch.

I could be wrong, but that one looks like a short scale...In any event, that is one handsome guitar! I want one now!!!

The Epi HB Natural Tops that I have run across were all 25.5 scale. In that sense they take after some of the Gibson HBs of the late 1960s that were made with a long scale.

Sorry for the delay in the pictures, it's been a busy week. So, here are some better pictures of the epiphone hummingbird. It's actually kinda cool, my brother in law happened to have an extra authentic guard laying around and he gave it to me. He didn't even remember why he had it, said he might of got it in case his tru vintage wore out. Whatever the case, it looks awesome on the epiphone.

Archived