Gibson Brands Forums

Karen Plays The Drums

Rabs

What an incredible talent in many ways, one of the most beautiful voices ever to grace this planet, and what a tragic avoidable loss.

AND.... no, I won't add a Karen Carpenter joke (although I know a REALLY good one)!

In my opinion she was one of the greatest drummers of all time. She also had one of the most fantastic voices I ever heard although I'm not that specifically a fan of Carpenters' music. Nevertheless, she identified herself as a drummer who sings, and I couldn't argue with that.

What's 29 inches long and has 28 holes in it?

Karen Carpenter's belt.

Sorry, but this is not funny. You may deride me, but I will never get over Karen Carpenter's death. No other celebrity's passing away made me sadder and still does after all these years.

I saw a fate similar to Karen's right before my eyes then: A classmate of my sister taking the same bus to school as we did every day lost nearly half of her weight between 1975 and 1978 instead of gaining some - at the age of 11 to 14! Their family and doctors seemed to be able to save her, at least she was still alive in 1983, but then my sister lost contact.

Since I was a fan of Reader's Digest then, I knew about anorexia nervosa and bulimia already in the early 1970s. I was well aware of what was going on, and being unable to help made me desperate.

I knew she played but wasn't expecting that... :)

This is just one more example of why it's foolish to dismiss, or deride certain artists as having no talent, just because their popular music isn't hard, loud or "in your face".

she was an amazing talent. I've seen that video before as well as a few others. and +1 to what Larry said, she had beautiful voice.

how she could have this image of her self that no one else would ever see, I could never understand.

RIP Karen

Karen was unique in many ways. I guess that finally she couldn't stand the feeling anymore that people like her for what she's doing, not love her for being herself. Nevertheless I think she didn't tend to leaving her drums alone more and more voluntarily. In my belief drumming has been a vital part of her life.

I always would have loved to know that Karen is happy. I would grant her playing with her grandkids these days... [crying]

Given that Karen had sung the Beatles songs Help and Can't Buy Me Love with the same passion like she did We've Only Just Begun, perhaps some more people could have understood how heartfelt and soul-deep the Beatles lyrics matched her personality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz_wnRDAbqQ

Very under recognized as a mad talent on the skins. You can go and find all sorts of quotes from musicians that played with her back in the day and they all gush about her drumming.

To me Karen Carpenter one of the great tragedies in music. Right up there with the drug casualties of the early seventies. Sonic Youth did a tribute song to her back in the nineties and covered Superstar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reSOp1domrU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y21VecIIdBI

This is just one more example of why it's foolish to dismiss, or deride certain artists as having no talent, just because their popular music isn't hard, loud or "in your face".

She was a fabulous singer. I knew she played the drums, but not to that extent!

To my feel her singing was more than hard, loud or "in your face". She hits me deep in my soul, more than any other artist ever did.

The Carpenter's are way underrated, IMHO. Underneath the bubblegum exterior and the pop sheen was a very talented duo. Still they don't make it to my iPod. [rolleyes]

Bubblegum exterior and pop sheen are two very worthy and noble goals in music production, and it doesn't happen at all by accident. Them guys that were putting that music together excelled at it when it was still very young.

rct

A few years ago I saw Richard Carpenter conducting and playing with a local university symphony at The Karen and Richard Carpenter Center For The Performing Arts at Cal State Long Beach in California.

As you walk into the the place there are several glass cases with displays of Carpenters memorabilia including Karen's original drum kit and Richard's original Fender Rhodes electric piano which he had pulled out And set up for some tunes that evening.

Anyhow, at one point he went into a speech about the need for tolerance and acceptance for gay and transgendered folks and said something to the effect that if gays had been able to live their lives more in the open in the 1970s, Karen might still be alive. Take that for what it's worth...

By the way, Richard was very entertaining that night. The guy is one heck of an arranger.

Just got into this and was flabbergasted.

Karen sings fantastic - I nearly had said, as always. Don't know if she realized on stage that the wind instruments partly are a bit obtrusive - these things happen.

However, I really admire her self-control given the guy's goofy drumming. In particular the breaks are questionable in my opinion, some lack any feeling. [crying] Oh my God - she would have beaten the pants off that careless hack. [biggrin] I'm also pretty sure she would have sung same nicely while playing the drums herself. Couldn't resist to post a comment (as emergencyrecorders):

[rolleyes]

In my opinion she was one of the greatest drummers of all time. She also had one of the most fantastic voices I ever heard although I'm not that specifically a fan of Carpenters' music. Nevertheless, she identified herself as a drummer who sings, and I couldn't argue with that.

Sorry, but this is not funny. You may deride me, but I will never get over Karen Carpenter's death. No other celebrity's passing away made me sadder and still does after all these years.

I saw a fate similar to Karen's right before my eyes then: A classmate of my sister taking the same bus to school as we did every day lost nearly half of her weight between 1975 and 1978 instead of gaining some - at the age of 11 to 14! Their family and doctors seemed to be able to save her, at least she was still alive in 1983, but then my sister lost contact.

Since I was a fan of Reader's Digest then, I knew about anorexia nervosa and bulimia already in the early 1970s. I was well aware of what was going on, and being unable to help made me desperate.

I do apologize.

I do apologize.

Thankfully accepted.

Here's one more sad but true story:

Some months ago a friend's wife reported me that her younger sister had died in 2008 from anorexia nervosa at the age of 37 after a nine years battle with the disorder. Although I hadn't seen her since around 1992, I was deeply shocked to hear about it. She had been living with her mother after the parents' divorce for the rest of her life.

My friend's wife had left home in 1984 at the age of 18 to marry him. Soon after her father couldn't stand it all anymore and filed for divorce. Sadly he lost his fight for the custody for his younger daughter. Probably her history would have made a different turn then.

We do best when we give our beloved ones the feeling that we love them. It is Karen Carpenter's legacy which made me explicitly aware of the context. Nobody lives just by the food she or he is eating. Love is a very essential I think.

Archived