Gibson Brands Forums

ES 125 T- Need Suggestions

Silvercrow

Hi Folks-

A couple of months ago I posted about a "Project" Gibson ES 125 T I was given. I posted some pics over in the "Lounge" area as in private discussions with members that hang out over there, there was an interest in seeing pics.

In retrospect, I should have posted them here. I don't like to take up a bunch of bandwidth- posting on / in both sub-forums.

Anyway- I was given the guitar; structurally it is good; no cracks, major dings. Neck joint is strong and stable. The guy that gave it to me received it as a project and he does not have the time or desire to restore it-thus he gave it to me.

Someone tried to refinish it- then stopped after stripping off the sunburst on the top. It also needs a tailpiece and bridge, as they are missing. The original tuners work but are lightly rusted.

The P90 in it works (!) I plugged it in and by tapping lightly on the pole pieces it seems VERY strong. The volume and tone pots, though a little scratchy, work. Reportedly they are "audio taper"- they have a good deal of control and variance. The pup cover is degrading- but I called Lindy Fralin and he / they have replacement covers for cheap ($7.00).

Anyway I don't have the money to get it professionally restored. In pristine condition they seem to go for around $1000.00 or a little more. This is nowhere near pristine. I thought I might take a stab at my own refinish, using Stew Mac or ReRanch. The only spray area I would have is my garage.

So questions are 1- how feasible is it for me to refinish myself? I have virtually no experience BUT I can comprehend, and follow directions, as long as they are explicit. I would not say I have a "natural" ability with woodworking or refiniishing.

2- Would there be any value in selling it / the parts? (If it were a Fender, the light rust patina on the tuners would fetch a premium as there seems to be a market for making things look vintage [flapper] relative to Fender guitars / parts ). Seriously- someone with skills in this area could make it nice for not too much outlay.

Don't know what to do. There are very little YouTube or other videos featuring this guitar- but it sounds cool, the two videos I located / saw.

I wish it were a solid body single coil / P90, but it ain't.

Any suggestions / direction welcomed. If you think it's OK to re-post pics here, let me know; don't want to violate rules or be obnoxious. Otherwise I posted a bunch of pics on the "Lounge", titled "Project Guitar, Gibson ES 125 T".

Thanks in advance folks!

Brian

Since you are inexperienced and undecided, you may consider selling it (at a reasonable price) to someone else who may be more decided about its fate.

Yeah- I guess I'm coming to the same conclusion. My friend (who gave it to me) had a similar one, stolen. This was given to him in the condition it is in now. So it is not as if it was his "baby"- I don't believe there is a bit of sentimental attachment.

I LOVE LP Jr's and such- and while I can appreciate a "jazz-box" like tone, it's really not my thing.

I could certainly use the money toward an LP Jr. or similar.

I'm going to begin doing the research to see what would be fair relative to selling it- but will first check with my buddy to get his "blessing".

So...thanks for stating the obvious,or what should have been obvious, to me, Retrorod!

Brian

I'd be curious what price range you'll be in. It's one of those cases where the cost to restore it would exceed the value and where the decal on the headstock has been removed...that's just unfortunate (understatement).

It's a good chance for a custom paint job or...well, it's a blank slate, really. Provided it's not too dear.

I personally like the walnut color and if it were mine I would look into the possibility of just cleaning up what's there, knowing it's not original but appealing nonetheless.

Talk to me when you come up with a number.

I'd be curious what price range you'll be in. It's one of those cases where the cost to restore it would exceed the value and where the decal on the headstock has been removed...that's just unfortunate (understatement).

It's a good chance for a custom paint job or...well, it's a blank slate, really. Provided it's not too dear.

I personally like the walnut color and if it were mine I would look into the possibility of just cleaning up what's there, knowing it's not original but appealing nonetheless.

Talk to me when you come up with a number.

PM sent to you, Ksdaddy...

Brian

Archived