Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown Custom Info Reqd.

harleytech51

Hi Everyone,

Ive recently purchased a used Gibson Midtown Custom in Vintage Sunburst.It came with its Hardcase and all paperwork and also its original packaging carton. Upon reading the various Forums etc ive found this model has been discontinued by Gibson, although I notice that Thomann in Germany are selling what they claim to be a "special run" by Gibson exclusively for their store.?. Ive a few questions about the Midtown Custom if anyone can help,

1. Between which years was this model actually in production?

2. All the ads ive seen state the Guitar came supplied with a genuine Gibson USA Case in Black, my guitar has a Brown Case with a deep pink coloured interior (actually looks really luxurious).Could my Guitar have maybe been a special order or did in fact some models come with this case instead of the standard Black one?

3. The Guitar has Made In The USA. 2014 Model below the serial number. I had read this model was discontinued before 2014? Anyone know more on this plz?

4. Whats the general feeling on how this model will fare in the long term in a sense of value due to its limited production run?

I look forward to some interesting comments and hope someone can put me right on these points.

Cheers Guys.

Hi Harley,

First, congratulations on your purchase! I have a 2011 Midtown Custom in Ebony that I purchased new in December 2011. It is an awesome instrument.

While I am not an official source, in 2011 and I believe in 2012 Gibson produced Midtown Customs in Ebony, Vintage Sunburst, Heritage Cherry Sunburst and Natural. They also produced Midtown Standard models with Humbuckers and P90s in various colors and finishes. In 2014, I saw them bring back a limited production run of the Midtown Customs I believe only in Ebony and Vintage Sunburst. Many retailers sold both the first run and the current run, so I don't think it is anything special to your retailer.

Mine came with the black case with white fur lining. Not sure if the brown is what they switched to for 2014. It is a unique size instrument so I imagine the case you have is what it would have come with. From my understanding, it is unlikely anyone can get any kind of special order out of Gibson for anything including a custom built guitar. That is another topic completely.

As far as value and investment, my advise is play the hell out if it and enjoy it. New they retail for $1499 U.S. I've seen nice used ones on the market go from the $900 to $1200 range. I don't expect these (or any new guitar for that matter) will ever be a wise investment. I've owned much more expensive and rarer models, and all only depreciate to a level where if you keep them really nice, they hit the price they are worth on the market and stay there for a long long time. That is the best you could hope for.

Hope that I answered most of your questions. Enjoy that new guitar!

Hi and thanks for the replies Blueblooded and Fromnabulax, I appreciate your comments. Although still unsure as to why I have the brown case im assured by the guitars original owner that its the one the guitar came with in 2014 when first purchased new. I also as previously stated do have the original genuine outer cardboard carton resplendent in huge Gibson and Headstock logos. The Midtown Custom also was supplied to me with all original paperwork, handbook etc etc.so very pleased with my purchase and love the guitar. I also purchased this at what I consider an really excellent price so have no complaints on any score. My comments re future values were based on an online forum article id read that said due to the guitars unique design having the bodily attributes of both a solid LP and a hollow 335 all rolled into one guitar, combined with its short production run, the guitar is due to become a future classic and will always retain a good value.. I was actually just asking what others views were on those points that id read, not looking for confirmation that id make a future profit..LOL..Im not intending to sell. I have had Gibsons in the past, most notably a 2007 LP 60's Heritage Cherry Sunburst and a pair of ES 333's.one in red and a totally mint one in natural which I very regrettably sold. I must add in all three cases I sold the guitars for good profits having bought them at times when the used market was at a low.Well anyhow Guys once again thanks for your comments etc, I much appreciate your time..All the best..post-40148-077601300 1429999358_thumb.jpgHeres a pic of the guitar and case.

Archived