Gibson Brands Forums

More Info on odd 71-72 SG

njmote

I was hoping someone can help me learn more about this SG I just picked up. From what I can tell it's a modified/custom 71-72 SG100. It's different from other SG100s I've seen because it has no contour, has a natural finish, has a humbucker, has no serial number on the neck, has a reversed control panel with a control knob instead of an input jack, the input jack is on the side, the bridge has been changed and holes filled in. It's obvious that the machine heads have been changed. I was wondering if anyone could give more info on how it would have came from the factory and how much it may be worth. Thanks.

IMG_20150420_123805966.jpg

IMG_20150420_123827630.jpg

IMG_20150420_123835670.jpg

IMG_20150420_123856365.jpg

IMG_20150420_123714788.jpg

IMG_20150420_135046121.jpg

IMG_20150420_135055616.jpg

I don't see any indication that this is made by Gibson. It may have been, but I'd need to be convinced of it. To me it looks like a wood shop project.

But I'm no expert, and I know there are some weird Gibsons out there.

Your guitar looks like a modded SG-100 from the early 70s. The SG-100 had one single coil pickup at the neck and two control knobs, the SG-200 had two single coil pickups with two control knobs and two slide switches. The SG-250 was the same as the SG-200 except it had a cherry sunburst finish. AFAIK, these bodies all had the typical SG bevels.

The guitar you have doesn't look like it has a Gibson body - it's missing all the bevels. I don't recall any SG's of this period that didn't have bevels. Someone might have acquired SG 100 that had a damaged body or they damaged the body while modding it. Maybe the owner had an SG body shape cut from a new piece of wood, but didn't replicate the bevels. The old neck was set on the new body, refinished and the serial was sanded down in the process. The control mounting plate is flipped and the old jack hole now holds a third control knob, while the jack was moved to the side. The only thing about this scenario is the old, filled, bridge/cover holes are on your body, making the body shape even more of a mystery. Interesting to say the least.

Original SG-100 with bevels, without bridge cover -

p2_utobxgure_ss.jpg

Original SG-200 without bridge cover -

sg200-1.jpg

Original SG-200 with bridge cover -

dcj3bugllhjw2m2fgw9k.jpg

Here's a 250 with sunburst finish, no bridge cover -

Original.jpg

Thanks guys for adding some more info. I have found a few other instances of '71 SGs without contour/bevel. Here's a picture of another SG100 without contour.

sg1007.jpg

Here are some links where people mention their non-contoured SG100-200s

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/4093/any-gibson-sg-experts-in-neck-angle-question

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/36052-the-gibson-sg-yearbook-game/page__st__20

The problem here that I see is the stopbar/tailpiece. Them guitars didn't have them, the bridge was much lower, more Fedner like. So the neck is called a flat neck Gibson on that guitar in original form. As you look down the neck in the one picture you can see the TOM needs to be screwed down about a half inch into the body to get the action right on that thing.

Next is that neck joint. That just looks...whack. I don't recall Gobsin neck joints like that, but I don't have to recall everything. Still, it just looks all wrong.

I don't remember slab bodies like that, but that's ok, I don't have to remember anything.

With that whack headstock, no serial number, all of whatever finish is gone, really whack bridge stuff and on and on and on I can only hope you did not pay much for it.

rct

The problem here that I see is the stopbar/tailpiece. Them guitars didn't have them, the bridge was much lower, more Fedner like. So the neck is called a flat neck Gibson on that guitar in original form. As you look down the neck in the one picture you can see the TOM needs to be screwed down about a half inch into the body to get the action right on that thing.

Next is that neck joint. That just looks...whack. I don't recall Gobsin neck joints like that, but I don't have to recall everything. Still, it just looks all wrong.

I don't remember slab bodies like that, but that's ok, I don't have to remember anything.

With that whack headstock, no serial number, all of whatever finish is gone, really whack bridge stuff and on and on and on I can only hope you did not pay much for it.

rct

Hey RCT. Here is a pic of another SG100 with the same neck joint. I know that the bridge has been replaced and tailpiece added. You can see where the original bridge and tray cover were.

6213146_orig.jpg?215

... I have found a few other instances of '71 SGs without contour/bevel. Here's a picture of another SG100 without contour.

Nice find. Reading through your links I see the early '71 had no contours. Examples must be pretty rare. No wonder I've never seen one. So the guitar wood is all original. Interesting that the modder picked up a 70s bucker for the bridge - I wonder when the mod was done.

Thanks for posting back on what you found out. Very interesting indeed. . . B)

Archived