Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Ripper Electronics help

cellkirk74

Hi everybody,

I am new to the forum and will start it right away with a problem I have with a 1975ish Ripper I purchased from Japan last December.

As far as I can see it is in rather good condition, but someone messed araound with the electronics. The pots and the selector switch are obviously not original and they do not really work well.

Here is a picture:

DSC_0350.JPG

The whole bass looks like this:

DSC_0357.JPG

I have never seen a switch like the one in there used with a bass guitar and I want to sort out why the pickup combinations occasionally cut out, so I want to get a new switch with at least 4 positions and new caps and resistors.

The small 100nF cap that is wired to the choke also broke off with not enough 'jeg' left to solder it back into place.

Can someone here please give me a hint on which parts to use? I think I will also exchange the pots since they are cts 250k, but I would really appreciate recommendations.

One thing left is that I live in Germany, so the stuff should not be too exotic.

Oh, here is a family picture, missing the SG-Z and my '72 EB-O:

DSC_0359.JPG

Servus nach Frankfurt, Kumpel, und herzlich willkommen hier im Gibson-Forum! [biggrin]

Perhaps you already found out that we are lucky to have a peerless expert on pickups and electronics in general and Gibson Ripper/Grabber lover in particular. Searcy is his name, and I'm sure the topic title will make him chime in here soon.

Nice collection you have there. [love]

Good luck, and have fun, mate! [thumbup]

P.S.: Frankfurt/Main oder Frankfurt/Oder, wenn ich fragen darf?

Genau genommen Wiesbaden.. ;)

I actually wanted to ask directly in Searcy's thread on the rebuild of his Rippers, but couldn't since I nee to get access to the lounge first...

Servus nach Frankfurt, Kumpel, und herzlich willkommen hier im Gibson-Forum! [biggrin]

Perhaps you already found out that we are lucky to have a peerless expert on pickups and electronics in general and Gibson Ripper/Grabber lover in particular. Searcy is his name, and I'm sure the topic title will make him chime in here soon.

Nice collection you have there. [love]

Good luck, and have fun, mate! [thumbup]

P.S.: Frankfurt/Main oder Frankfurt/Oder, wenn ich fragen darf?

I took the Ripper to the band rehearsal yesterday. It did quite well and luckily didn't cut out this time. But nevertheless, I wonder what happend to the electronics or if this was a well made copy and not an original Ripper.

Here is another closeup of the guts:

DSC_0352.JPG

Thanks. I got a lot of wiring diagrams and stuff, but my question is which actual parts will be best to get as close to the original thing in terms of pots and caps and especially the switch. My choke seems to be working, even if I do not know if it is up to the original specs.

I read the whole thread Searcy wrote about restoring his, but he could he had original parts.

Pots and caps are not to hard to get. The switches are another thing. I have never found an after market 4 position switch that I like so I just buy the originals off Ebay. And boy are they expensive. On at least one occasion I used a 6 way switch from a Gibson L6s guitar which worked well.

Thanks a lot for joining.

Do you know a good place to get the 100nF cap? All I get here is much bigger stuff. Also, what difference will it make whein I go for 100k or 300k for the midcontrol? Over here, all I can get is either Bourns or the cts 250k or 500k Pots. The Original ones with the closed back are not available at all.

Can you point me to a good source for those parts? It does not reallx have to be all original, but I want the best possible sound from the stuf. I think the pickups are still good, though they lack a bit in bass, compared to the other gibson stuff I have here.

Pots and caps are not to hard to get. The switches are another thing. I have never found an after market 4 position switch that I like so I just buy the originals off Ebay. And boy are they expensive. On at least one occasion I used a 6 way switch from a Gibson L6s guitar which worked well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Do you know a good place to get the 100nF cap?

I already told You in bassic that i am probably able to help You out with the capacitors. My only problem is lack of time to do the resoldering - three bass amps are in the waiting queue. Other sources should be Conrad - i don't know if there is one in WI but there are shops in MZ and in F. And in DA there is another electronics store which i cannot imagine to carry such a standard part.

If You prefer mail order, a source without minimum limit on their orders is http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Kondensatoren/Cornell-Dubilier-Polyester-DME:::31_477.html. Musikding also has them in their web store (i have put the 68 nF version of those in my EB-11 and am satisfied with the quality).

Tube town also has rotary switches in good quality that will fit into the bass according to the 2nd example in Cadfael's collection of bass circuitries (an again - i should have one of those surplus.).

• 2 years later...

Archived