Gibson Brands Forums

Help with identifying a Gibson Explorer

Hello

I was hoping someone could help me identify what model of Explorer this might be. I've been told it's a unmodified Limited Edition 1994 model. To me the pick guard looks aftermarket as it's the big kind like you would find on a '58 reissue. I haven't been able to find any info on a 1994 Limited Edition model. Maybe it's a Custom Shop model? Also the serial number (94 14625) seems strange to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Here's a few photos -

091_zpsdqb5ktsz.jpg

092_zpsipgejqal.jpg

098_zpsetmxwpee.jpg

P1016742_zpswl4i5ovu.jpg

P1016741_zpshlgsmdt1.jpg

096_zpsmq7zvxyp.jpg

093_zpsljjl0nel.jpg

Quote:

"Those beginning with "94":

"In 1994, Gibson's Centennial year, many instruments have a serial number that begins with "94" for the year, with the remaining 6 digits indicating the ranking number."

Taken from: http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Serial-Number-Search.aspx

The pickguard looks normal size to me, but I'm not an expert.

Good info! Thanks capmaster! Interestingly enough I have a 1994 Les Paul Standard that has a normal serial number. (doesn't begin with 94) Now I wonder if it's some sort of Limited Edition or just a regular production '76 Reissue Explorer with swapped out plastic?

My guess would be a Limited Edition, but on the other hand she looks very much like an Explorer "Standard" so to say. They don't make many of them though, so they seem to be a long row of "limited editions" to me... [rolleyes]

Archived