Gibson Brands Forums

Fender USA Vintage 58 Tele

Searcy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The owned wrote to Fender about the guitar. Here is their response.

Thanks for sending in the pictures.

There will always be gaps between the neck and body with a bolt on instrument and in this case the gaps are at the furthest end of what I would consider acceptable. In light of that I would be happy to offer a replacement instrument through the dealer where this was purchased.

Kind regards,

Here's a little bit better shot of what Fender USA says is a good neck joint.

11188271_1094681260547785_8097350138345988291_n_zpshjw9nudl.jpg

While you're looking at it check out the messed up string spacing. This is why I would never pay more that about $400 for a Fender anything.

My God. And they think that is acceptable. Unbelievable. What on earth would make them say it's ok? How could you play a solo up in the dusty frets with the string placement like that?

I've only ever owned 7 Fenders so far in my life and thankfully they were all alright. But also, two of those I assembled myself so they don't count I suppose.

In that photo it looks like the pickguard is getting in the way of the corner of the neck, stopping it from seating all the way correctly.

I can't look at that anymore. Think I'll go stick my cruit in the boardroom, see if there's anything funny happening (lol).

That one sucks. Return it. Return shipping is on the vendor, not the manufacturer. You can't fault Fender for Guitar Guitar's sales policy, and shame on the buyer for not doing due diligence, that's a ~$100 mistake, I guess. Maybe Guitar Guitar should inspect/set up each instrument they sell online, I don't know, if I were them, I would, but they don't appear to. I definitely wouldn't buy from them anymore, that's for sure. For that matter, I probably wouldn't buy a high end instrument online, but that's me, and I'm sure I'd make an exception in a special circumstance. And I agree that Fender shouldn't ever let that leave the factory. They need folks to believe that USA Fenders are special in a different way than this one.

Many Teles seem to have a high E string that rides close to the edge. And yes, it's easy to fine tune a bolt on, but that's not the point. My baja's high E is close to the fret bevel at the upper register, but it's fine to play as there's both fret and neck under it. String spacing is great, and the neck sits snugly in its pocket. Truth be told, I love playing it, it's a fun guitar. The nut is cut terribly though. Bend below the 4th fret at your own risk! Bending the G string from A to almost B will push the string out of the nut slot. Bending the E string from G to almost A will too. That's OK, I can get that fixed if it really starts to piss me off... and besides my baja was a less than a third the price of your specimen. If I want to get bendy at the first position, the SG has me covered.

My God. And they think that is acceptable. Unbelievable. What on earth would make them say it's ok? How could you play a solo up in the dusty frets with the string placement like that?

I've only ever owned 7 Fenders so far in my life and thankfully they were all alright. But also, two of those I assembled myself so they don't count I suppose.

In that photo it looks like the pickguard is getting in the way of the corner of the neck, stopping it from seating all the way correctly.

I can't look at that anymore. Think I'll go stick my cruit in the boardroom, see if there's anything funny happening (lol).

Look, as far as the response from Fender- it's believable. Not right, they're not being "stand-up" folks, but not surprising. Anything else and they'd have to admit that some person or group of persons, in the "Custom" division of Fender, no less, let some Big-arsed mistakes get "out the door"! In my mind, I'd have respect if they did "get in front of it", if they said "You know, we really don't know what happened here, but we are taking steps to prevent it from happening again. Apologies and we are working with Guitar Guitar to get you a replacement ASAP"

SG50 is correct- ultimately for us consumers, the retailer is responsible. Like a QC experience I had recently (on a MUCH cheaper item, BTW) the retailer (Musicians Friend) cheerfully and quickly credited my account and said they were taking up the matter with the manufacturer / distributer. I was told that too many complaints about any one thing and that particular item, by that manufacturer, is no longer carried. The way it should be IMO.

Let us know what happened Searcy..

Brian

That one sucks. Return it. Return shipping is on the vendor, not the manufacturer. You can't fault Fender for Guitar Guitar's sales policy, and shame on the buyer for not doing due diligence, that's a ~$100 mistake, I guess. Maybe Guitar Guitar should inspect/set up each instrument they sell online, I don't know, if I were them, I would, but they don't appear to. I definitely wouldn't buy from them anymore, that's for sure. For that matter, I probably wouldn't buy a high end instrument online, but that's me, and I'm sure I'd make an exception in a special circumstance. And I agree that Fender shouldn't ever let that leave the factory. They need folks to believe that USA Fenders are special in a different way than this one.

Many Teles seem to have a high E string that rides close to the edge. And yes, it's easy to fine tune a bolt on, but that's not the point. My baja's high E is close to the fret bevel at the upper register, but it's fine to play as there's both fret and neck under it. String spacing is great, and the neck sits snugly in its pocket. Truth be told, I love playing it, it's a fun guitar. The nut is cut terribly though. Bend below the 4th fret at your own risk! Bending the G string from A to almost B will push the string out of the nut slot. Bending the E string from G to almost A will too. That's OK, I can get that fixed if it really starts to piss me off... and besides my baja was a less than a third the price of your specimen. If I want to get bendy at the first position, the SG has me covered.

Honestly, it's things like we're discussing here that drove me to purchasing G&Ls. IF I'd have had the money, would have went the Anderson or other small manufacturer route. BUT as I've stated previously, I haven't had very much trouble at all with either the Fenders or the G&L's. I've heard horror stories on both marques, but my experiences have generally been very good.

Another thing that bothers me tho- if Fender can "get it right" so much of the time, but still has issues like this with a "Custom" instrument, something is seriously wrong in Mudville. And yet the prices keep going up for American made instruments (because we'll buy them at the price point, I know..)

Brian

In reply to rtc.

Who are you calling a wimp, and a kid? No, we're not offended, why should we be? I was well and truly around when there was no internet, and I still knew what quality control was. It used to come right after common sense.

And even though I was no professional musician, I still count myself to be a real guitar player, and it doesn't matter whether your a 40 year veteran or a rank beginer, we're all one thing - a consumer, by virtue of merely buying the instrument in the first place. They're not given to us.

You reckon some of the best sounds come out of these instruments? Pigs arse! Walk into the recording studio when Joe Walsh or perhaps Pete Townshend were about to record some of their best works, and hand them that guitar, and they would have handed it right back to you. A real guitar player, as you keep refering back to, would not have bought that or loved it. Your peers here are real guitar players, and the general consensus here seems to be, 'POS' and 'send it back'. Why are you the only one happy with it?

It's a tool? No sport, it's not, it's a musical instrument. You're a tool.

Like I stated before, I'm from about the same time as you and no, it was not different back then. Bad is bad, then, and now. Back in this mythical pre-jurassic time you keep alluring to, I would've sent it back, same as I would send it back now. I've been a Fender owner since 1973, and I've never had anything like that happen. And had it, It would've been sent back straight away. Then, and now.

So, tell you what. Your so happy and alright with it, send this bloke the 1,400PS he paid for it and he can send it to you, and you can own it. That way this POS can have a new home with all the other POS you own.

(big tip. the reason you probably have so many POS is because you never sent any defective guitars back in the first place).

=D>=D>

Well said, from one "old guy" to another...

Brian

11188271_1094681260547785_8097350138345988291_n_zpshjw9nudl.jpg

While you're looking at it check out the messed up string spacing...

Hello!

May I guess, it has the vintage-type, 3-saddle bridge? Easy fix, then. Just file the sides of the saddles.

Cheers... Bence

This is how a £1400 American Vintage 58 Telecaster arrived from Guitar Guitar in London. They say there's nothing wrong with it...

CCF846CD-58E5-4900-94AA-C64AD40B98AF_zpsmroodoia.jpg

D9A4C34E-DF8A-4318-AAC9-86E8EA7AC67F_zpsevbyaefu.jpg

First time I saw this post I thought hmmm Searcy must be moving the srtings out of the way so we can see something with the frets or fretboard....I didn't realize that that's where they fall!!!!! [scared] [scared] [scared]

The real gripe isn't that a dud left the Fender USA factory. Aggravating though it may be .. it's happens. And Fender seems very willing to make an exchange to try to keep the owner happy but he will still have to pay shipping from Ireland to London.

The real gripe here is that the shop (Guitar Guitar) is acting as though the owner is some sort of jerk for even complaining about something so minor. The owner lives in Ireland and bought the Tele from the Guitar Guitar web site. He understands that the neck and bridge can be moved and adjusted. But he just spent 1400 pounds on a brand new guitar...

He is now so unhappy with the way Guitar Guitar has treated him that he has decide he will not accept anything short of a full refund so that he can spend his money at a shop that will appreciate his business.

The real gripe isn't that a dud left the Fender USA factory. Aggravating though it may be .. it's happens. And Fender seems very willing to make an exchange to try to keep the owner happy but he will still have to pay shipping from Ireland to London.

The real gripe here is that the shop (Guitar Guitar) is acting as though the owner is some sort of jerk for even complaining about something so minor. The owner lives in Ireland and bought the Tele from the Guitar Guitar web site. He understands that the neck and bridge can be moved and adjusted. But he just spent 1400 pounds on a brand new guitar...

He is now so unhappy with the way Guitar Guitar has treated him that he has decide he will not accept anything short of a full refund so that he can spend his money at a shop that will appreciate his business.

Agreed. As stated, I feel this ALL adds up as "Insult to Injury". Hope the fella makes out OK...

Brian

Well, the counterfeiters are doing so well nowadays at reproducing guitars that Fender came up with a new counter attack.....they started producing replicas of the early days of counterfeiting!! [flapper]

I wish I could consider this whole topic as surreal [crying]

Here's my take on this.................

Do guitar buyers really expect anything better in a world where we pay EXTRA for what I call "Pre Damaged" guitars?

If I were a guitar builder, I'd think "These suckers will pay extra for the ones that fell off the assembly line and bounced down the stairs.....why waste money on setup?"

Sorry.......it's been that kind of day [rolleyes]

NHTom

... This is why I would never pay more that about $400 for a Fender anything.

[thumbup] I love my Fenders, but they are cheap and modified extensively. My crappiest Fender is my American Standard Strat. In fact I can build a better Fender than Fender can these days (and have done so).

Relatedly, I can understand a guitar needing a set up. To be honest I have set up every new guitar I've ever purchased (including a bunch of Gibsons). But that neck pocket is just too shabby.

Here's my take on this.................

Do guitar buyers really expect anything better in a world where we pay EXTRA for what I call "Pre Damaged" guitars?

If I were a guitar builder, I'd think "These suckers will pay extra for the ones that fell off the assembly line and bounced down the stairs.....why waste money on setup?"

Sorry.......it's been that kind of day [rolleyes]

NHTom

This guy didn't pay extra for damage. He paid for a flawless reissue.

I have two Fender guitars ~ 60 th anniversary telecaster american & american stratocaster select both are 2012 models, necks fit perfect and the strings are in line . If Fender would have gotten them back prontoe.

4H

In reply to rtc.

Who are you calling a wimp, and a kid? No, we're not offended, why should we be?

I wasn't talking to you, since you mentioned it. Who is "we"? You talking for you or somebody else?

And even though I was no professional musician,

So you can't conceive of the idea that someone out 3 and 4 nights a week for years with a halfa dozen Fenders might be quite used to re-aligning the neck? That beating on them takes its toll? Or do you just assume everyone has exactly the same experience as you?

You reckon some of the best sounds come out of these instruments? Pigs arse! Walk into the recording studio when Joe Walsh or perhaps Pete Townshend were about to record some of their best works, and hand them that guitar, and they would have handed it right back to you. A real guitar player, as you keep refering back to, would not have bought that or loved it. Your peers here are real guitar players, and the general consensus here seems to be, 'POS' and 'send it back'. Why are you the only one happy with it?

Did you read all the words?

It's a tool? No sport, it's not, it's a musical instrument. You're a tool.

I have stickers on my cases that have been to more gigs than you it sounds like. It's a tool, you use it, put it down, get the other one for the next song. Nobody wants to watch you coo over it and slather it with finger ease and wipe it down, they want to hear music, made by the tools of music.

Like I stated before, I'm from about the same time as you and no, it was not different back then. Bad is bad, then, and now. Back in this mythical pre-jurassic time you keep alluring to, I would've sent it back, same as I would send it back now. I've been a Fender owner since 1973, and I've never had anything like that happen. And had it, It would've been sent back straight away. Then, and now.

So you'd be in South Carolina and ready to get it on and yer 6 year old Tele neck is a tad off because it's been a rough three months you'd "send it back"? Let me know how that works out for you.

So, tell you what. Your so happy and alright with it, send this bloke the 1,400PS he paid for it and he can send it to you, and you can own it. That way this POS can have a new home with all the other POS you own.

Again, did you read all the words? If so, it should be easy for you to point out where exactly I said I was happy with it.

(big tip. the reason you probably have so many POS is because you never sent any defective guitars back in the first place).

Big Tips: Either stop taking yourself so seriously or stop reading my posts. Doing both things would probably help you live longer in less hate.

rct

if you'd buy one that's gigged to buggery then fair call, but I read as though this one was brand spanking new - as in from USA factory (via QC) to warehouse to store to customer.

if it were a $2300 chainsaw or air compressor or whatever tool and brand new but you couldn't use it without fixing it first, well I'd be p!ssed if that were the manufacturer and retailers response, and the buyer may not be aware even how to go about fixing it. (mind you I'm a wimp about such matters though [biggrin] )

Archived