Gibson Brands Forums

Fender USA Vintage 58 Tele

Searcy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Owner reports the high e is unplayable above the 8th fret.

I believe this in an instant. It is just poor. [thumbdn]

Obviously I can guess myself lucky with the partly mediocre string runs on my MIM Fenders. The string alignment on my Fender American Deluxe Telecaster Ash is perfect, same as the neck joint clearances on all of my Fenders.

With the strings at pitch loosen the screws, shift the neck to where you want it, tighten them up. GOD people are such WIMPs today.

rct

AND the owners should tick the QC checklist box too while they are at it.

With the strings at pitch loosen the screws, shift the neck to where you want it, tighten them up. GOD people are such WIMPs today.

rct

A former bandmate of mine owned and perhaps still owns a 1970's hardtail Strat with its string alignment significantly off. It has a three-point neck mount with tilt screw. Days or weeks after performing the procedure you recommended, the neck jumped back with a creaking noise, the alignment was off again, and of course, the guitar was totally out of tune. It never worked ultimately. Obviously the neck was severely uptight through that sort of adjustment. This axe was a permanent construction site from 1980 to 1987, then we lost contact.

AND the owners should tick the QC checklist box too while they are at it.

What would you kids have done when there wasn't a QC checklist in the case because the internet hadn't been invented yet so everyone could say QC?

They used to sell guitars to guitar players, not consumers. Consumers need instructions to heat a Pop Tart ferkrissakes, it's no wonder a guitar might as well be a friggin nuclear reactor.

The best sounds anybody ever heard were recorded and toured using guitars that looked exactly like the one in the picture before one of the roadies and the guitar player fixed it, three screws and tilt-a-whirl and all.

I'm not making thiss hit up, it's how it was and we were just fine. Christ on a stick send the damn thing back if it's that bad, a real guitar player will probably buy it and love it.

Actually, necks like that are why Monterose sold his stainless inserts and screws like what Gatton had to use because of how hard he beat on them. It's a tool folks, wasn't meant to be coddled.

Don't anybody take offense either. I am from a different time and we had less guitars than today and we did it differently.

rct

That is horrendous. I can't even fit a piece of paper in between the neck and body on my American Standard Tele. I hope whoever bought that returns it!

Guitar Guitar told him that since there's is "nothing wrong with the guitar" he could return it for an exchange but he would have to pay return shipping and a restocking fee.

A former bandmate of mine owned and perhaps still owns a 1970's hardtail Strat with its string alignment significantly off. It has a three-point neck mount with tilt screw. Days or weeks after performing the procedure you recommended, the neck jumped back with a creaking noise, the alignment was off again, and of course, the guitar was totally out of tune. It never worked ultimately. Obviously the neck was severely uptight through that sort of adjustment. This axe was a permanent construction site from 1980 to 1987, then we lost contact.

Every strat and tele I had from 1972 to 1987, dozen or so, had that done to it at one time or another. Maybe not every, but damn near all of them. My current #1 guitar a 97 Tele has been shifted over twice in 17, 18 years now. I'm alive and fine, so are my guitars.

rct

What would you kids have done when there wasn't a QC checklist in the case because the internet hadn't been invented yet so everyone could say QC?

They used to sell guitars to guitar players, not consumers. Consumers need instructions to heat a Pop Tart ferkrissakes, it's no wonder a guitar might as well be a friggin nuclear reactor.

The best sounds anybody ever heard were recorded and toured using guitars that looked exactly like the one in the picture before one of the roadies and the guitar player fixed it, three screws and tilt-a-whirl and all.

I'm not making thiss hit up, it's how it was and we were just fine. Christ on a stick send the damn thing back if it's that bad, a real guitar player will probably buy it and love it.

Actually, necks like that are why Monterose sold his stainless inserts and screws like what Gatton had to use because of how hard he beat on them. It's a tool folks, wasn't meant to be coddled.

Don't anybody take offense either. I am from a different time and we had less guitars than today and we did it differently.

rct

You played guitars with no frets under the high E string?

You played guitars with no frets under the high E string?

No, not at all, and as long as you've been around guitars, you should not be at all surprised that outside of this extreme example that made its' way onto the internet, Fender players are not strangers at all to shifting the neck. Maybe not as much today, but certainly a guy my age doesn't give it a thought. Sure, that ones a mess, and it might not respond well to being shifted if it is that far out. But come on, send it the ef back if it's that bad. If it isn't, buck up buck, guitars are a dangerous sport!

rct

Welp, I've been around since the 50s, and you've got a lot of tolerance and patience - that's a shitty neck fit in anybody's decade. I wouldn't waste my time checking the neck alignment every time I use a bolt on necked guitar with a fit like that. I'd return it.

I had a 91 Tele for nearly 25 years. No neck issues. I had a 74 tele custom. No neck issues. Call me picky and all but This is a brand spanking new $2300 guitar. Never been played. It needs some frets and maybe even some neck under the e string.

I dunno...I must be the luckiest S.O.B. relative to guitars; I've owned three American Teles, two American Strats, one G&L Legacy and two G&L ASAT Classics between 1990 and 2009 and none of them had an issue that gross relative to string / neck alignment. Neck pocket gaps- only one- but for whatever reason did not effect the playability and sustain at all. One of the Strats did have the "ledge" or shelf, whateveryacallit but only one with a significant gap.

Yeah...unfortunately Fender's QC does seem to be slipshod at times. The thing that irks me about this is manifold: 1- American made Fenders,American anything, are premium priced in the UK (Go ahead and chime in "they are here in the U.S. too!"); a Custom should have never left the factory in this condition; I don't know "Guitar Guitar's" reputation, but total BS that Searcy's customer has to pay the shipping for something as blatant as that. Here in the states you can go any number of places and pick up an American made guitar- and return it if defective. And that's an off the shelf guitar- not a custom. It's adding insult to injury if you ask me.

I'm wondering what shipping will be to the UK? I sold a Larivee to a guy in the UK back about 2004 or so. I think the cheapest I could find, and ultimately paid, was $70.00.

Best wishes to the O.P.- let us know how you fare.

Brian

I had a 91 Tele for nearly 25 years. No neck issues. I had a 74 tele custom. No neck issues. Call me picky and all but This is a brand spanking new $2300 guitar. Never been played. It needs some frets and maybe even some neck under the e string.

Ok, I've had a few that never had to be moved, including my current 13 year old fairly well gigged strat. And yeah, a 2300 dollar just-another-tele shouldn't need it the day you get it, I completely agree. And from the very bad pictures sure, it looks like the heel of that neck blank isn't right or the pocket of that body blank is too big, one or the other.

It's a mess. It's also probably one of a thousand, two thousand that is that messy. The other 999, 1999 pictures would be boring.

rct

Surprised that '58 is from Guitar Guitar, they are normally very good dealers and I've bought a few things from them over the past few years. They reduced a Les Paul Special I bought from them a couple of years ago and gave me a free stand just because it had a tiny chip on the side of the body.

In reply to rtc.

Who are you calling a wimp, and a kid? No, we're not offended, why should we be? I was well and truly around when there was no internet, and I still knew what quality control was. It used to come right after common sense.

And even though I was no professional musician, I still count myself to be a real guitar player, and it doesn't matter whether your a 40 year veteran or a rank beginer, we're all one thing - a consumer, by virtue of merely buying the instrument in the first place. They're not given to us.

You reckon some of the best sounds come out of these instruments? Pigs arse! Walk into the recording studio when Joe Walsh or perhaps Pete Townshend were about to record some of their best works, and hand them that guitar, and they would have handed it right back to you. A real guitar player, as you keep refering back to, would not have bought that or loved it. Your peers here are real guitar players, and the general consensus here seems to be, 'POS' and 'send it back'. Why are you the only one happy with it?

It's a tool? No sport, it's not, it's a musical instrument. You're a tool.

Like I stated before, I'm from about the same time as you and no, it was not different back then. Bad is bad, then, and now. Back in this mythical pre-jurassic time you keep alluring to, I would've sent it back, same as I would send it back now. I've been a Fender owner since 1973, and I've never had anything like that happen. And had it, It would've been sent back straight away. Then, and now.

So, tell you what. Your so happy and alright with it, send this bloke the 1,400PS he paid for it and he can send it to you, and you can own it. That way this POS can have a new home with all the other POS you own.

(big tip. the reason you probably have so many POS is because you never sent any defective guitars back in the first place).

Archived