Gibson Brands Forums

How deep is your AJ, Texan

Mickthemiller

I was playing my new AJ-45ME today and whilst thinking "this thing is really opening up" I realised it felt small at the side of the Texan, which I was also playing to try and focus on the differences in tone. I had put both guitars back to back days ago and both are much the same in size.

Anyway, I needed a break so I decided to measure the AJ220, the Texan and the AJ-45.

I was surprised to find that the J45 is not as deep as the AJs or the Texan - Depth measurements below:

Texan - 4" at neck 5" at heel

AJ Ind - 4 1/8" at neck 4 3/4" at heel

AJ Chi - 4" at neck 4 7/8" at heel

AJ45ME - 3 3/4" at neck 4 5/8" at heel

I suppose the finish thickness would make up for some of the difference and the Texan having a solid back may make that slightly deeper.

Interesting what you find out when you have a moment to spare[confused]

I initially posted this on the Gibson Lounge by mistake

I was playing my new AJ-45ME today and whilst thinking "this thing is really opening up" I realised it felt small at the side of the Texan, which I was also playing to try and focus on the differences in tone. I had put both guitars back to back days ago and both are much the same in size.

Anyway, I needed a break so I decided to measure the AJ220, the Texan and the AJ-45.

I was surprised to find that the J45 is not as deep as the AJs or the Texan - Depth measurements below:

Texan - 4" at neck 5" at heel

AJ Ind - 4 1/8" at neck 4 3/4" at heel

AJ Chi - 4" at neck 4 7/8" at heel

AJ45ME - 3 3/4" at neck 4 5/8" at heel

I suppose the finish thickness would make up for some of the difference and the Texan having a solid back may make that slightly deeper.

Interesting what you find out when you have a moment to spare[confused]

I initially posted this on the Gibson Lounge by mistake

It would be very interesting if you could compare this MB J-45 back to back with a Gibson J-45...I know I would be headed for the first GC to do so. The base tone of a good Gibson J-45 is said not to be loud...but "throaty" with a more quickly decaying sustain...a desired thing in a J-45. If you ever get to do this. please let us know what you find! Thanks for the measurements...I would expect the MB J-45 to be slightly smaller in some of the dimensions, as to support the J-45 tone, so that is a good thing. Now if only this guitar displays the genuine base "throatiness" of the original...it would make this guitar sell big.

It would be very interesting if you could compare this MB J-45 back to back with a Gibson J-45...I know I would be headed for the first GC to do so. The base tone of a good Gibson J-45 is said not to be loud...but "throaty" with a more quickly decaying sustain...a desired thing in a J-45. If you ever get to do this. please let us know what you find! Thanks for the measurements...I would expect the MB J-45 to be slightly smaller in some of the dimensions, as to support the J-45 tone, so that is a good thing. Now if only this guitar displays the genuine base "throatiness" of the original...it would make this guitar sell big.

I have nothing to compare this AJ45ME with (unless I tote it round to my local guitar emporium) but I am starting to hear a very pronounced bass on the A and the E string which surprised me. I expected to maybe hear it on the bottom E but the first few times I hit the A I initially thought I had hit the wrong string (as you would when getting used to spacing of strings on a new guitar). As I say that bass is something that is coming through and against the Texan it has a more mellow feel to it (I don't really know what throaty sounds like - although I have listened to a great many J45 vids on Youtube in the past few days). I felt when I first got the Texan that it was a guitar made for strumming and that has become more my opinion since playing the AJ45. The AJ45 shines when finger picked.

I'm editing this and slightly going back on the last sentence. I have just spent half an hour giving the AJ45 a good thrashing and she is opening up to strumming - I knew it would take few days to settle down but this is gonna be a great guitar[thumbup]

I can't wait for someone else to try one

Gibson J-45s (or J-50's, Advanced Jumbos, J-35's--anything with the Gibson round-shouldered dreadnought body) have varied slightly in dimensions over the eight decades they've been made. Even instruments made the same day will vary, often due to the amount of hand sanding, lacquer application, and the buffing thereof. A rule of thumb is that the body tapers from about just under 5" to just under 4". That "just under" can be up to 3/16" on either end.

Red 333

....As I say that bass is something that is coming through and against the Texan it has a more mellow feel to it (I don't really know what throaty sounds like -

Mick....Your remark above makes me think your J-45 is sounding correct. In general I would expect its base to be full, but slightly more mellow than the Texan...almost softer, but still deep and present...throaty...instead of loud and blasting...deep, thick, dark, balanced, not over done or blaring,...just right....."throaty"

....As I say that bass is something that is coming through and against the Texan it has a more mellow feel to it (I don't really know what throaty sounds like -

Mick....Your remark above makes me think your J-45 is sounding correct. In general I would expect its base to be full, but slightly more mellow than the Texan...almost softer, but still deep and present...throaty...instead of loud and blasting...deep, thick, dark, balanced, not over done or blaring,...just right....."throaty"

Yes that's it - and -Chocolatey!!

Archived