Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Gibson Stage Deluxe... Smeck LTD?

Jjunk

Anyone seen the new 2015 "Stage Deluxe" models? A quick search shows them showing up at a few of the larger online retailers. They look beautiful!!! Seems to me they're identical to the Jackson Browne signatures, except with Indian Rosewood back and sides. Drool...

Anyone seen the new 2015 "Stage Deluxe" models? A quick search shows them showing up at a few of the larger online retailers. They look beautiful!!! Seems to me they're identical to the Jackson Browne signatures, except with Indian Rosewood back and sides. Drool...

Neck profile is different

Tuners are different

Pickup is different

Logo inlay is slightly different

Price is lower

It feels real comfortable and sounds great

All the descriptions I see say hog back/sides...

The Stage Deluxe LTD is a Hog, The RW model is called Stage Deluxe Rosewood.

Both have a soft or modified vee neck shape that IMHO is more comfortable than the JB

The Rosewood is real close looking to the JB as far as fret markers and logo inlay

The LTD is plain looking with silkscreen logo and dot inlays closer looking to the originals

Electronics -

JB Trance Audio Amulet Stereo

Stage Deluxe LTD Trance Audio Amulet Mono

Stage Deluxe Rosewood L.R. Baggs Lyric

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Just played the same one last week--still at the store. Whole lotta guitar. Great feel. Plenty of punch and ring, but cant tell if the high is muted or its just the dominant bass coming through (thoughts?).

Unusual for Mr. Rambler to rekindle a sleeper thread- must be something there of unrequited interest (?). Your observations match mine- it is a guitar with deep lungs. . . just need to find one that really projects. Perhaps some of E-minor 7's little tricks to balance a guitar out; using a combination of string and bridge pin choice, individualized saddle pieces, etc, not to mention the always-controversial mods for max string break (!). *Also- the player might be inadvertently changing the tone when on a 12-fret, as that bridge is down deeper, and the picking hand is still striking the strings in the same place, relative to the body of the guitar, further away from the bridge, leading to an even deeper sound.

Very little body taper, compared with standard issue J-45 Rosewood (note bridge placement deeper into lower bout, "Stage_ ", left) :

photo-36_zpsycp6fg1m.jpg

Here's my rosewood Smeck..will have to look for these new ones..

DSC01334.jpg

Getting ready to put this one on the market. Old age is pushing me toward 000 size guitars. Every time I play this one the tone blows me away but the shoulder and wrist discomfort makes me realize it's time to move it along.

Thanks, guys. 62, don't know about unrequited, but that 12-fret is very intuitive to play. Plus that tone--Ive been branching out into folk more, so that extra presence ala JB is attractive. The inlays are pretty but say Martin, not Gibosn (why, Bozeman, why?). Problem as usual--Im not in a position to buy outright.

You've spectacular taste in guitars jannus.

What happens to your shoulder and wrist ?

Does it hurt while playing or afterwards ?

Just age related stuff. I find it easier to play shallower guitars these days as I think I'm developing arthritis in my shoulders.. And the nut width on the Smeck is not a comfortable as it used to be. Mind you this doesn't bother me unless I've been at it for a couple of hours but I do seem to gravitate to the smaller bodies more and more.

Archived