Gibson Brands Forums

Help with fixing: neck to body joint "give" plays out of tune

I got trouble with the 335 neck to body joint, although the finish is intact no cracks, its like a hinge down there, the guitar I fell in love with!!,

sadly the honeymoon ended at the first gig, as it went in and out of tune with very little hand pressure, its like a whammy bar is being used.. I've since tested five other 335 guitars and some are like a rock, while other give some at the joint, but all were very controllable as far as staying in tune during chord changes, sadly my own 335 is simply uncontrollable - theres no way to play chords soft enough to avoid the neck moving and causing the chords to sound out of tune,..

Id love to learn how to fix it, cause i do still LOVE IT.. [unsure]:rolleyes:

maybe drill holes put dowels etc.. I dont care because the guitar is useless in this condition, Im thinking maybe it should have never passed QC??

but now its here in my hands I'd like to try to save it, despite killing the value or looks.. mainly because I put allot of time in the set up and aging the looks, and it has a rare fat 60's neck shape.

thanks, I have reset a few acoustic necks, Im not all that good at it yet - still asking questions and getting tips etc n it all. , I have the right tools to do it. however,

I dont feel theres any hope of that cure-ing the loose wiggly wood, its got to be large grain patterns and flexing wood, so I'm thinking it needs strengthening despite the flexing woods,

I understand that this neck-give at the body - has been occurring with some Gibson's and other brands for many-many years - I once had a real 1961 SG/Les Paul it's neck flex was almost as bad as this 335,

...and Ive played many other guitars that had this loose give too, so its a common occurrence, and there must be solutions, I just cant see not taking the neck off and gluing it back on, ( the equivalent of UN-bolting a Fender and then screwing it back on - except maybe shaving the wood from pockets etc) thats mostly been done to reset out of spec action problems thats caused by body bowing and bridge pull.

I think I need to drill some holes and bang some solid steel rods in there to save this beautiful Vintage Sunburst Fat 60's neck baby girl.. or fiberglass it like a surf board.. lol [confused] [confused] [confused]

In case it's the entire neck, what could any change in neck set help? There have always been players bending guitar necks for up bendings like Neville "Noddy" Holder on his Fender Telecaster in Take Me Bak 'Ome. Especially very light string gauges support this method. I never liked it though, and down bendings through neck use might cause serious damage.

Did you consider selling the guitar despite of basically liking it? I think this would be better than making it a wreckage [crying]

Archived