Gibson Brands Forums

amp just quit

feldkeen4

Didn't notice any problems leading up to the sudden silence. I took it apart to see if I could find a fuse, but didn't. I had a spare 12AX7 tube so I change it and it works. Is it unusual to lose sound between strums from a tube like that?

I'm a nube at amp repair, until now that is. It's a VHT special 6. One 6V6 and one 12AX7 tube.

I repair elevators all day without knowing what I'm doing. I could probably repair amps without a clue, as well.

Didn't notice any problems leading up to the sudden silence. I took it apart to see if I could find a fuse, but didn't. I had a spare 12AX7 tube so I change it and it works. Is it unusual to lose sound between strums from a tube like that?

I'm a nube at amp repair, until now that is. It's a VHT special 6. One 6V6 and one 12AX7 tube.

I repair elevators all day without knowing what I'm doing. I could probably repair amps without a clue, as well.

Any tube can go bad, but the failure you described could also have been caused by a contact problem you solved accidentally along with changing the 12AX7. Losing sound between strums is usually due to severe bias imbalance, not very likely in an amp with cathode-biased tubes only.

Repairing anything without knowing what doing is not funny, may it be amps, elevators or whatever. Just saying... [unsure]

Good repair job, feldkeen!! Lots of times when it just cuts out it can be a tube. It could also be that the contacts on the tube or the socket need to be cleaned a little. You can spray some contact cleaner on the tube pins and stick the tube in and out a few times to get some cleaner in there. You might even try sticking the old tube back in to check that it's dead for sure - then you'll know it's the tube.

This kind of stuff -

http://www.parts-express.com/caig-deoxit-d5s-6-spray-5-oz--341-200?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

I'm taking the stairs from now on. 😬

Good call on the stairs. It's hard to stay on top of every make and model ever made. Especially the proprietary models where they went out of there way to make it hard for anyone else work on. Lots of calls for tech support.

Archived