Gibson Brands Forums

ES 345 59 VOS RI

GA Ampman

Gibson Memphis made a VOS ES345 R9 in 2014 I just saw one of these guitars at a local store and it is an amazing guitar it looks, feels and sounds like a vintage 59 345 at 1/4 of the price of a vintage one. The vintage sunburst VOS finish looks like someone looked under there grand dads bed and pulled out a 59 ES345 that was never played. The guitar is wired mono with a Varatone I remember Varatone switches as the tone suck switch but the Varatone on this guitar was very useable. The guitar is lite weight for a 345 has a big 59 neck, jumbo frets and set up with low action. I put a deposit on the guitar and will switch it to 11's. The pickups are Burstbuckers and are perfect in this guitar. I understand that they also made this guitar in blonde and it is one of Gibson's best-kept secrets. I looked on Gibson's webpage but it is not listed but some of the big online dealers have them listed. If you are looking for a 59 335 have a look at the 2014 VOS ES345 R9.

I own one! As does Rob McKillop (a 1964 reissue in his case)on here.

Many years ago I owned a 1964 (Trapeze tailpiece) ES345 but foolishly sold it and have always hankered after another one - especially the stop tailpiece earlier version. When I found out that Gibson Memphis were producing two Historic versions (1959 and 1964 - strangely the '64 reproduction was the stop tail albeit with the 60's style neck rather than the fat '59 neck) I knew that if I had the chance I would get one. An insurance payout gave me that chance and so I have got to own a 1959 ES345 Memphis reissue.

It is a superb guitar. Contrary to what you say, the pickups are not Burstbuckers but MHS - Memphis Historic Series pickups. They are the Memphis take on 1959 PAFS. I never have swallowed that nonsense on the Varitone being a "tonesucker" (just so much mythological claptrap to me) but the combination of Varitone and MHS humbuckers on my guitar provides the best sounds I have ever experienced from an electric guitar, anywhere, anytime. I just wish I were a better player!

EDIT: Here is a link to the ES345 1959 reissue guitar:

http://guitarvillage.uk.com/product/15250/Gibson-1959-ES345-TD-ES45H14HBGH1-New-Historic-Burst-Incl-Case.aspx

• 1 year later...

My "Historic Series" reissue 345 goes back about 16 years to the Nashville Custom Shop (stop-tail, mono-varitone). One of the finest guitars I've ever owned or played.

If Memphis has taken the lead from these Nashville reissues, they will be incredible guitars.

11369863976_408b914b58_o.jpg

I was just playing my 2009 ES-345 the other day. I plugged one cable into each out puts and each cable into one side of my 1964 Fender Tremolux for some good times. These are really under rated guitars, Mine is brown, stereo and varitone

which is three strikes against it in the market. This is why I got it new for the price of a used guitar. Long live the 345!

Thanks John

I guess all those 345s are a little bit different, in weight and especially in neck thickness and profile. The latest '59 RI in historic burst or limited blond seems to be exceptionally lightweight and good sounding. Yet there's not much love for this guitar here. Any comments from owners or those who have played one?

My "Historic Series" reissue 345 goes back about 16 years to the Nashville Custom Shop (stop-tail, mono-varitone). One of the finest guitars I've ever owned or played.

If Memphis has taken the lead from these Nashville reissues, they will be incredible guitars.

11369863976_408b914b58_o.jpg

My favorite color

4H

I've got a '67 ES-345 that I got new. The neck is slim '60 at the lower frets but gets rather 50ish on the higher end. The frets are lower and bends are a little harder to do. I don't know what a vintage guitar should sound like...maybe my hearing is now vintage. So I'm always amazed at people that can tell or think they hear a "vintage" sound. Anyway, I have enjoyed this 345 for many years and likely, more years to go.

DSC02155.jpg

Archived