Gibson Brands Forums

Sad Day For A Bandmate Of Mine

capmaster

We did a music minus one rehearsal yesterday evening since the Grandmother on Father's side of a bandmate was dying. As he told me, she passed away just while we were making music without him. Lively and vivid until about three weeks ago, she had reached the blessed age of 101 years.

R.I.P.

101 years. That means born at the start of the First World War and went through the depression, Second World War, communism, the wall, 50 years of Cold War, the fall of communism, and transition from ideological nationalistic differences into religious warfare/differences.

Would have loved to talk to that guy.

May he rest in peace.

She was his Grandmother, a lady that is. She would have become 102 in July.

My bandmate spent more than half of his life at his Grandparents. In 1993 his Grandfather died aged 88. Both of his parents did a full-time job, so he lived there during weekends and holidays only. Until age 94 his Grandmother ran her own household, then moved into a retirement home.

His mother is a Serb, but since his Grandmother had always been his main contact person, you wouldn't hear out his mother from his speech. He also has the same ribald humour his Grandmother had. I was talking to her on the phone many hundred times when I wanted to talk to my bandmate from 1994, the year we founded our group, until she moved in 2007. We had lots of funny chats and laughed a lot, just as my other bandmates and me do with her Grandson.

We hope he will come to terms with the loss. I think he will have something to talk about Friday next week.

WOW! 101 years old! Imagine the wealth of experiences she has had!

Our Gram passed last year at 96. My favorite times were listening to her recount the "older times" as she used to say. Her mind was sharp right to the end- her body just plain wore out.

Death is an inevitable part of life- still, we mourn for the "holes" that are left in us when loved ones pass. Condolences to you and your bandmate! May she live forever on in your memories!

Brian

Archived