Gibson Brands Forums

new epi owner dr212

fishman115

Hello, I had an opportunity to get a deal on a dr212 because it had a tuning peg broke off. I don't know what to look for or where for a replacement. I do believe they are mini tuners of some kind. Any help on brand or part number would be great. Thanks

I would think twice about this - A 12 string is like a boat - there are two days when you really love it - the day you get it and day you sell it.

This baby is quite cheap at the full price and what you get knocked off the price (unless it's a really good deal, say 50%) will hardly cover the cost of replacing a tuner and maybe all the tuners.

Then of course you could take off five more tuners and have a decent six string

I would contact Epi for what tuners they are unless someone knows it is possible that replacing them with something like grovers might be a better way to go considering the price of the guitar the tuners might not be so good but I truly don't know .

It could make tuning easier and staying in tune better .

Etither way good luck and play well .

Ags

If they are simply generic tuners, meaning no brand name is printed/engraved on them, then I suggest just buying a whole set of generic tuners and replacing them all. if they have a brand name printed/engraved on the back, then it's a matter of finding the same brand name replacement. It's possible they might be generic tuners, though. If that's the case, you could replace them all with any brand or generics. If they are individual tuners (not connected) with one another on a row in back, you might be able to find a single tuner that matches. On one of vintage Kay guitars, a tuner once broke and I was able to find a matching one at a vintage guitar show at a booth of JK Lutherie, which I believe has a website (if they are still in business) You might try calling them, maybe sending a photo, to see if they have one similar in their loose parts archives. Though, it may be easier to just replace them all with a packaged set. Probably any music store with a repair facility could also do the replacement. Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Yes I assume standard minis. But any brand? Schaller, Gotoh? Are all minis the same?Obviously I don't have much experience in this area. I have exchanged a couple email with Gibson and no help so far. The one I took off is Korean made by Jin_Ho music. I sent them an email.

Color me stupid, but why not just take one of the other tuners into your luthier and say "I need one of these"? (Or as noted, contact Epi).

FWIW, I own a 212, and for the money, it's a great 12 string. It doesn't get the play time it needs, but it get's what it's worth LOL.

Archived