Gibson Brands Forums

What'da use on your git for a strap?

Aster1

Just checking on two things:

1) How do you work around the extra large strap button for the cord on your Gibson Acoustic? Cut the leather in the strap to fit, put something else on for a strap lock, what?

2) In your opinion, will placing a strap pin on the left side of the neck #5 location I believe, lower the value of the Guitar?

I don't use the electronics in my Dove, J-45 Custom, or Hummingbird at all so for me I didn't really need them. Not a bad thing for others, I just don't plug mine in. Also, I don't really trust the large strap plug/button when I cut a larger hole in strap but maybe I'm just too careful. What do you use to strap up? Also, I know the controversy on adding a strap button on the front side. Not wanting to beat that up or piss anyone off. [biggrin] I've tried the strap tied with string cord above the nut and it seems to pull on the necks some and sometimes pull them out of tune. Maybe I'm pushing down too much on the git, don't know. I want to keep the value of my guitar investments high and don't want to ruin them with a button if that's what happens.

Thanks for your comments & opinions!!!

Aster

Right now I only plug-in with the J45 TV, and I simply reamed out the strap hole a bit to make it fit. I don't often play standing up, even when plugged in, and I'm not a dancer, so my style limits the disconnect and fall risk.

I think a soft strap (one made specifically for that purpose wihout doing finish damage) around the nut is the only way that I would go. No way that I would drill on the neck or side. If it's pulling Your guitar out of tune You have to be playin too heavy-handed. Thousands of people strap up like that without going out of tune. Try a nice, wide, soft strap and don't do chin-up on the neck. You'll be fine and that beautiful Gibson will remain thenway that God intended. I would be a shame for You to be playing and look down only to see Your peghead laying on the floor.

I think I can handle that with the strap tied/fastened above the nut. But what does everyone do with that huge strap button that houses the 1/4" female phone plug? Do you just cut a strap to fit those guitars or is there some special "widget" like those nice strap leathers for the other end?

Aster

I think I can handle that with the strap tied/fastened above the nut. But what does everyone do with that huge strap button that houses the 1/4" female phone plug? Do you just cut a strap to fit those guitars or is there some special "widget" like those nice strap leathers for the other end?

Aster

Check out Tapastring's Strap-keeper. Soft leather attachment that locks to the big strap pin from electronics. I use it on my Baggs- and K&K-equipped guitars.

Thanks for the suggestions!! I saw that Stew-Mac deal and I like the Strap-keeper looking contraption a lot. Will try one of those. Also may try one of the replacement end buttons Buc that Colosi makes too.

Still don't know if I want to use the #5 position or a headstock strap. After reading what Dan E. from Stew-Mac said now I wonder more! Somehow I don't believe it's just to move $3.50/10 packs of felt washers and a couple buck strap button.

From Stew-Mac:

What about tying the strap to the peghead?

Don’t do it.

You don’t want that kind of strain pulling at the neck that you’ve so nicely adjusted the action on.

I know it isn't going to REALLY hurt the headstock/neck if you're careful but I will admit I really DO like the way my cheaper EPI's feel with them mounted in #5. Just didn't want to devalue an investment when I'm done or can't play my more expensive Gibson acoustics however.

Aster

snip:

Aster,

Hope you are well.

FMA

Thanks FMA,

I'm getting some caught up after our move with my businesses last Dec. I will admit, it drained me big time physically & mentally trying to get that all done even with all the help we had. No chance of it but I NEED SOME VACATION TIME!!! I guess 12 yrs ago (last move) I had much more P & Vinegar left in me. I'm runn'n 'bout a quart low on P&V now that I'm 60. Still better than most I know, but I can tell a big difference. [biggrin]

Aster

Aster,

The device Craig_no posted is the one I remember being shown here a while ago. Looks pretty good.

As to moving, I appreciate what you wrote very much. Just moved myself two months ago and I'm 57. Definitely not as easy as it used to be.

I hope you can find some time for a vacation.

FMA

Archived