Gibson Brands Forums

A new song poured out...

Lars68

I have been away from the guitar and my efforts to learn to sing for some weeks. Tonight I sat down, giving it a go again, and this song basically poured out of me. I did it in an hour and a half and the words must have been waiting to come out. It is no more than a sketch at this point and it is cluttered with mistakes and out of tune singing.

However, if you have seen up close what cancer can do, you might be able to relate, and look past the imperfections.

Any suggestion as to how I can improve the song when I work on it next time?

Lars

I have been away from the guitar and my efforts to learn to sing for some weeks. Tonight I sat down, giving it a go again, and this song basically poured out of me. I did it in an hour and a half and the words must have been waiting to come out. It is no more than a sketch at this point and it is cluttered with mistakes and out of tune singing.

However, if you have seen up close what cancer can do, you might be able to relate, and look past the imperfections.

Any suggestion as to how I can improve the song when I work on it next time?

Lars

Haunting dude. You have a haunting voice. I mean that in a postive way. Nice.

Haunting indeed. Really sad. You must have been closely touched. My sister is a survivor.

The guitar playing is great... meditative. I would change nothing. Wait. Maybe capo up one...

I feel I need to work this through again, and I will try the capo for sure.

The song is about my mother who died too early. Cancer is a horrible disease, and I wanted the song to convey that somehow...

It is not a light hearted tune, that is for sure.

Lars

I could only listen to half this song... took the dust right outta my saddle... sad dark song - I wouldn't monkey with it too much - capo up 1 or 2 frets as suggested see if that hits your vocal comfort. Mournful song there. Trust the muse. When it wants to strike, write it down. [thumbup]

I listened to the song again now this morning, and it put a lump in my throat. Bad memories came rushing back even more than it did when I wrote it last night. I will try to improve the singing and perhaps add a final verse I have in my head.

Thanks for the encouragements.

Lars

Archived