Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on "54 Golt Top P-90'S

rednefceleb

How do the Epi "54 Gold Tops play? Will neck-dressing and a right set-up put these into a smooth playable condition? Thank You.

I haven't got a 54 but rather a 56 and the answer to your question is "yes".

Personally, I didn't like the pickups and so changed them but many people find the Epi P90 pickups ok. The pole pieces will likely need adjusting.

Didn't need to do anything to mine as far a playability. I got it from Sweetwater and it came set up perfectly for me. I have to admit I'm not a P-90 guy. I have tried. I've bought a couple of guitars with P-90s, but I use too many pedals and that makes P-90s really noisy. I put a set of Gibson minis in it and I have loved it ever since.

GTwithGreenKeystones-fullfront.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your "56 G'Top experience has really guided me on this "Old Goldtop" project. What impresses me most is that '56 Goldie with the mini humbuckers installed! Just like an early Les Paul Deluxe. This has guided me to run a setup that I had on an old Melody Maker. I will run a top of the line P-90 in bridge position, and a quality humbucker @ rhythm pos. I have used a lot of Guitar Fetish pickups. If they don't give me the right sound; I will buy higher quality stuff. I want the Goldtop to sound as good or better than a Gibson. Quite a challenge, but I have worked so much on my Epi Genesis neck that it rings nicely on every note thru fret #22. Bye.

Archived