Gibson Brands Forums

Pick-ups Output Suddenly Different

PelhamBlueFire

Hello everyone,

Last Thursday, I dropped off my EDS-1275 at our local guitar store. I asked the luthier to replace all - 18! - strings, which he did. After I returned home, I started playing on my favorite guitar. What I noticed right away, was how the bridge pick-up had a lower output than before. Seriously, the neck pick-up just blows it out of the water. This affects both necks, so it can't really be an issue of one faulty pick-up. I never had this problem before, because both pick-ups always had a level output.

So, what could cause this to happen? One way this can happen, that I know off, is if the guy at the store lowered those particular pick-ups. But why wouldn't he inform me? I have no other idea how this could happen so suddenly. Any thoughts, guys?

Yes, I did switch from .010 to .009 gauge strings. Could you explain why this has such a drastic effect on the output?

Changing gauge about one step only should not cause such a severe level drop in my opinion, and I also wonder why it would be that extremely different through different pickup positions. Was the change of gauges the only one?

Hello!

I have replaced the strings on my Les Paul Recording on the weekend. I have switched gauges from 10-46s to 10-49s with wound G string.

I was surprised, how loud and dynamic the guitar became...

Cheers... Bence

Changing gauge about one step only should not cause such a severe level drop in my opinion, and I also wonder why it would be that extremely different through different pickup positions. Was the change of gauges the only one?

Yes, I went from a set of .010 Ernie's to a set of .009 of said brand. I have never encountered this before. Could be something in the electronics, too, right? Because, I think nobody would deny that this particular guitar isn't your standard guitar.

My tech will sometimes take 'license' with some things if he thinks I'll benefit, and usually doesn't divulge unless I ask. First I'd check (factory) height, and if it's not stock, ask him/her if they altered it...and go from there.

My tech will sometimes take 'license' with some things if he thinks I'll benefit, and usually doesn't divulge unless I ask. First I'd check (factory) height, and if it's not stock, ask him/her if they altered it...and go from there.

That's a good point. Tomorrow, I will give him a call. Today, all stores are closed thanks to "King's day." I will get back to you guys.

I would hazard the guess that it's probably nothing major, but find out what stock pickup height is, check it against what you have, adjust it if needed, play it, if it's still the same, then move on to the next possibility. That's the trouble with anything electrical is that you have to 'chase' the problem, usually discovering it at the last thing you check, but first thing I'd look at is pickup height, or factory suggested height...

There is some correlation between the diameter of a string at a certain tension and its energy/output.

I'm not entirely clear on this but seem to remember fx guru Roger Mayer stating that a strings output is "proportional to the square of the its diameter".

If this is so, then 9X9=81 and 10X10=100 so an 0.10 string would be that much louder under the same tension.

Does anybody know whether there is any truth in this? Or am I talking nonsense (again)? [confused][biggrin]

And I bet he lowered the bridge pup a bit too!!!

There is some correlation between the diameter of a string at a certain tension and its energy/output.

I'm not entirely clear on this but seem to remember fx guru Roger Mayer stating that a strings output is "proportional to the square of the its diameter".

Correct. Mass and tension depend on square of diameter, and so will output voltage at same amplitude.

Exactly. Still, you'd think it would affect both pick-ups. Not just one.

I agree. Moreover, lighter strings should sound "thinner" due to a smaller share of lows. Given same brand and make, this should even affect the neck pickup's level more than the bridge pickup's. Seems a mystery to me.

normally you will always get the impression that the neck pickup has more output than the bridge.

There's more low end response, largely due to the bridge pickup being close to the strings termination or witness point, vibrates less.

It shouldn't be like a night or day difference.

The only way to check it is to measure the out put with a multi meter, and compare your results to the pickups specs.

Otherwise, you're really just playing a guessing game.

Archived