Gibson Brands Forums

New 2014 SG Standard Nut Issue? Is this normal?

wick001

It looks like the nut is not glued down. If that's the case i would just reglue the nut back down. I'm not sure what type of glue Gibson recommends but they should be able to tell you what type to use were you bought the guitar. Or to be on the safe side just call or e-mail Gibson.

It's fine. It's just an expansion/contraction paint crack between dissimilar materials. The plastic nut and the wood of the headstock expand and contract at different rates and eventually leave a hairline crack in the finish. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later, and always more noticeable on a painted finish versus a stained finish.

Nothing to worry about, nothing abnormal or faulty. Enjoy the guitar.

Is it the photo, or are there also chunks missing from the nut? On the low E side, the corner looks nicked, and on the high E side, it looks like there used to be material between the B and E strings that's missing.

Is it the photo, or are there also chunks missing from the nut? On the low E side, the corner looks nicked, and on the high E side, it looks like there used to be material between the B and E strings that's missing.

Now that I look closer at it, yes there is some material missing on the nut. Did they pull a fast one on me? What should I do?

Archived