Gibson Brands Forums

FREE

'Scales

One of the things I try and do in life is to go for a one hour walk every day. For many of these walks I have my mp3 player with me and listen to a variety of music - sometimes I will work my way through a band's catalogue at roughly an album or two a day through the course of a week. Its a great way to hear the development of bands and go on a bit of a trip of discovery or rediscovery...

Anyway, this week I am rediscovering FREE.

Wow! - what a truly wonderful group they were. A Zeppelinesque 'coming together of 4 elements to make a 5th' as Jimmy Page would put it. I love the bands where you can hear the looseness, the half made note, the drawing of breath etc.. and these guys were the epitome of it, with the early albums especially almost feeling like live recordings. Paul Rodgers must be one of the most 'always one the note' rock singers of all time, with that perfect rock voice backed by a band who understood the value of leaving space in the music for soul to thrive. Fraser and Kirke were masterful in that respect.

As for Paul Kossoff... I love that free form playing and have an urge to go out buy a Les Paul Standard and Plexi if for no more reason than to dream.

It's really great to combine exercise with something else. Accomplishes a lot.

Free-great stuff and you're right, makes one want to play a standard.😎

My once a year gig included all Right Now last 2 years and one might think well pick another song. It was s big hit and is a classic for a reason and at age 54 last year I think it was the first time I ever played it correctly.

I played one of the Paul Kossoff re-issue Les Pauls a few years ago, it was magical. I pondered about buying it for weeks, but at that point I couldn't justify paying £5500 for a guitar, then someone bought it, so the decision it for me.

Ian

Those Kossoff LPs sound awesome Ian. The price is a 'gulp' though! Anyone got one?

Highway yesterday - good album. Sounds like a bit of The Band influence in parts. :)

Free at Last today, weather permitting (not looking good).

A thread about Free and Kossoff? Where's Pippy?...

Listening to 'The Free Story'...

I played one of the Paul Kossoff re-issue Les Pauls a few years ago, it was magical...

Yes, we've discussed this en passant before.

My sentiments echoed yours with the exception that I couldn't accept the neck-splice aspect - accuracy notwithstanding.

But a Magical-sounding beast for sure.

P.

Listening to 'The Free Story'...

Yes, we've discussed this en passant before.

My sentiments echoed yours with the exception that I couldn't accept the neck-splice aspect - accuracy notwithstanding.

But a Magical-sounding beast for sure.

P.

Pippy, the one that I played was a VOS one and the neck was fine. It was the more expensive "damaged" one that had the dodgy neck, I don't think I'd have liked that, the neck was as rough as a bears bottom.

Ian

Archived