Gibson Brands Forums

My city is burning

saturn

Well, I'm about 20 minutes outside the city but....what a mess! [cursing][crying]

The demonstrations had been fairly peaceful all week. Yesterday outside Camden Yards at the Orioles game there was some scuffle. But this mess today had nothing at all to do with protests for justice. It's all just a bunch of punks who took the opportunity to cause chaos and destruction.

Years ago, we used to say that California had four seasons...Earthquake, Fire, Flood and Riot. We had a fire today. Not sure what to expect next...earthquake or riot. We are due for both.

Keep hangin' in there...hopefully, it will get better soon.

There was a reporter giving an account of the events - both the initial arrest and the subsequent events - live from the scene on the news here in the UK last night.

Tragic events and terrible scenes. At least the authorities in Baltimore admitted they made some serious errors of judgement right at the start.

I hope the situation is resolved very, very soon for everyones' sakes.

You and yours stay safe, saturn!

pip.

Didn't see much media coverage of the week long peaceful protests. Burn a few cop cars and now everyone wants to know what's up. If we want to see less of this then it's time we start holding these murdering cops accountable. Freddie Gray is dead. I want to know why and how.

Didn't see much media coverage of the week long peaceful protests. Burn a few cop cars and now everyone wants to know what's up. If we want to see less of this then it's time we start holding these murdering cops accountable. Freddie Gray is dead. I want to know why and how.

Well those details will come out. Again, all this destruction had nothing to do with him.

Just like in a lot of cities in America, the police here can be very heavy-handed. I'm not defending that. I know people who have been on the receiving end of it. But then, when you see some of the people (I use that term loosely) in Baltimore that the police have to deal with on a daily basis you realize it's all some of them understand. It's a vicious circle. People act like animals, you treat them like animals. You treat people like animals, they act like animals. It's been this way for generations, but this Freddie incident, along with social media, provided an excuse and opportunity for packs of un-parented youth to really go over-the-top.

We have given cops the benefit of the doubt for so long that we now are skeptical of anyone who questions their actions. And in many cases their actions are out of control. Until something is done about that we can expect the riots to get worse. I don't believe the burning of a few buildings is an important story. To me the story is still "What happened to Fredie Gray?".

We have given cops the benefit of the doubt for so long that we now are skeptical of anyone who questions their actions.

I think this is changing. There are now lots of people skeptical of the stories given by the cops.

Until something is done about that we can expect the riots to get worse.

I'm happy to say that I'm doing my small part. I've been working as a paralegal at a 3-attorney law office. Along with other personal injury cases, we sue cops for excessive force, illegal searches, wrongful death. We also sue jails for mistreatment of inmates, usually ignoring serious medical problems, sometimes jail deaths. These are civil cases brought in federal court because they're constitutional violations. There are just some bad cops out there, or cops who think they can bend the rules.

I should add, we had one guy come in with a video of his arrest where he was tased repeatedly. Turns out he was a drunk idiot who kept resisting. The tasings were justified, given the guy's behavior, and the cop behaved professionally. No case there! I felt like contacting the cop and letting him know his actions in that situation were commendable. But I didn't.

We just spent 4 days in Charm City for the American Craft Council show, stayed at the HarborPlace where we always stay. The American Visionary Art Museum is across the harbor, we were just there for Thanksgiving and the BAZAART there. We've been going to the harbor for Thanksgiving for a long time now. Baltimore has some tough tough problems and we've seen the harbor suffer over the last decade, you guys sure don't need this. We hope it gets better soon, because I don't know how great things will get if people stop coming there altogether.

rct

They burned down a soon to be open low cost senior center.......so.......how again does that help the community....lets be honest here, in about a month after several have died and millions of dollars in damage and who knows how it will effect individuals ( job loss etc etc) it will all be back to status quo and no laws or attitudes will change and another person will loose thier life at the hands of the law and we will rinse and repeat... [thumbdn]

They burned down a soon to be open low cost senior center.......so.......how again does that help the community....lets be honest here, in about a month after several have died and millions of dollars in damage and who knows how it will effect individuals ( job loss etc etc) it will all be back to status quo and no laws or attitudes will change and another person will loose thier life at the hands of the law and we will rinse and repeat... [thumbdn]

It won't take a month. Cops murder the citizens that there sworn to protect on the streets of this country almost every single day. The only time anybody bothers to question any of it is when somebody set the building on fire.

No, you probably don't look at the media.

k, that doesn't make much sense unless we're in 6th grade, which I'm not.

You know how you've written in this forum a couple times saying that theres good stories about guns and stuff and people just don't look for them. It ever occur to you that that idea could possibly be true about you, too?

rct

If the cops would do things the way they are taught, and not go overboard when the testosterone starts getting good to 'em, things might be different... somewhat.

They were obviously at fault in Freddy's demise but, the reactions are straight out of "Papa Capp's Handbook of Absentee Parenting."

Usually when you take someone down that is resisting arrest their spine is fine. I'm guessing one in several thousand of people who are resisting arrest and get taken down land in such a way that their back gets broken.

The cops should have brought that guy to the hospital.

What kind of animal cuts a firehose trying to extinguish a fire...or sets fire to a community center....

Hello!

Protesting is one thing. You have the right to, if them up there piss You off.

Vandalism, sacking is another. Nothing to do with the former.

This is how we did, when the reds tried to come back in 2006:

Even though, the tank ran out of gas before the front-line of police squadron, You can imagine the fear they felt. They were shaking.

Bence.

k, that doesn't make much sense unless we're in 6th grade, which I'm not.

You know how you've written in this forum a couple times saying that theres good stories about guns and stuff and people just don't look for them. It ever occur to you that that idea could possibly be true about you, too?

rct

I spent as much time thinking about the responce as you did writing your post in the first place.

I've been following the Freedie story since day one. No one p[osted anythign about it here and most of the folks I know knew nothing about it. Then there were the peaceful protests. No one posted about that here and most of my friends knew nothing about it. But as soon as a building went up in flames and a cop got a bump on the head in runs the 24/7 network news crews people start going "What's up in Baltamore? A guy died? I never heard anything about it..." and then there's a post here on the forum. Burning buildings get attention. Cops murdering the public in the streets does not. I'm not saying a riot is a good iead but it's not hard for me to see how we keep arriving at this point.

I spent as much time thinking about the responce as you did writing your post in the first place.

I've been following the Freedie story since day one. No one p[osted anythign about it here and most of the folks I know knew nothing about it. Then there were the peaceful protests. No one posted about that here and most of my friends knew nothing about it. But as soon as a building went up in flames and a cop got a bump on the head in runs the 24/7 network news crews people start going "What's up in Baltamore? A guy died? I never heard anything about it..." and then there's a post here on the forum. Burning buildings get attention. Cops murdering the public in the streets does not. I'm not saying a riot is a good iead but it's not hard for me to see how we keep arriving at this point.

Well, the story of Freddie Gray was on the local news for almost 2 weeks before this. And I had seen multiple segments on National news and online also. Obviously it was reported somewhere for you to have been aware of the story.

Archived