Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio 2015 experience

Shamballa

About 2 weeks ago I bought a 2015 LP Studio. There was also 2 2010 LP studios in the store which I turned down because they were scratched and I didn't like the colours as much as the 2015 one. After playing all 3 of them, the 2015 sounded brighter and louder too, probably because of the 57+ pickup and 500k volume pot (2010s have 498T and 300k vol pot). The tobacco burst looked beautiful. The wider neck didn't bother me at that moment.

I was still hesitant about my purchase, because I 've been reading about how poor the brass nut is. I ignored the robotuner because I thought the hate was just coming from purists. I also figured that if it's bad I 'll just tune manually. But it later turned out it's not that easy.

So here was my experience the next 3 days before I returned the guitar:

G-Force

• The robotuners do NOT work as intended. They will sometimes bug out or something and tune the string way to high and then settle it at the correct pitch. This caused string breakage at the 2nd day of owning the guitar. Other times they might tune a string one octave lower than normal and the system will think that it hit the correct pitch and will leave it at that.
  • The robotuners do not work if you haven't already tuned the strings close to their normal pitch manually. That alone defeats the whole purpose of having automatic tuners.
  • Restringing the guitar takes more time than it takes to restring and setup a floyd rose guitar.

>So what, you can still tune manually

Not as easy as you think:

• The lower 3 strings are wound in reverse because that's how the robotuner wounds them. It's very confusing to turn/tune them manually unless you plan to play exclusively with robotuner guitars and you don't mind getting used to tuning the strings the opposite way that you've been doing for so many years.
  • The resistance of these fragile plastic tuners is too high because of the mechanism. They also make that mechanical noise when you turn them which is kind of annoying after a while.

In conclusion, they are very unreliable and when they do work, you 'll tune as fast as you would manually

>But you can just replace them

If I have to pay extra money to fix a new guitar that costs 1250eu then it's not a good guitar

Brass nut:

As you may have already read, the zero fret will have significant wear after only a single day of playing. And when you bend a string at the first 5 frets it will "ping", slide out of its grove and get stuck on another grove, which makes the string go slightly out of tune. You know you haven't made a good purchase when guitars that cost a quarter of what you payed for yours have better tuning stability

Wider neck:

They made the neck wider but didn't increase the string spacing. So now imagine that you have a strat with narrower string spacing and wider neck. At the beginning it didn't bother me, but after playing for a while my thumb started to hurt because of the awkward grip I had to develop to play on it. If you like fingering the low string with your thumb, Jimi Hendrix style, forget about it with this neck. Gibson claims that this neck allows for lower action without buzz, but I didn't notice a difference in buzz from my other guitars which have the same action + frets that needed changing. The only real reason they made the neck like this is to complement the horrible brass nut, and the only real reason the brass nut is there is to complement the G-Force. The robotuners had a butterfly effect that ruined the whole guitar.

Headstock sig and leo paul photo:

Tackiest, cheapest looking **** ever. I thought I wouldn't care but even looking at the guitar became a pain in the ***. It just made me think "I wish I got a normal LP"

At the start I wanted my money back but they wouldn't give it to me, as I expected. So I returned it and got the black 2010 one. Some scratches on the back of the body but it's better than having robotuners and brass nut. It plays and sounds great, it's a little bit dark and it doesn't clean up very well when I roll down the volume, but that's just a matter of changing the bridge pickup and volume pots. Which is not going to be very easy because it has a PCB

As much as I love LPs, I'd never buy a new Gibson again

Let's see some pictures of that 2015 Studio. Sounds like a nice guitar.

The only photo that was taken was by a friend on a live gig one day after I got the guitar. He posted it on facebook but didn't tag me so now I am trying to fetch it. Give me a sec

edit: I can't find the photo but the serial number was 150028991‏

I 've sent emails to gibson warranty 2 weeks ago and they replied to me later. Do you want me to post that as proof?

No I wanted to see the awsome burst you fell in love with at the store that made you not notice the Les Paul 100 logo. :rolleyes:

Oh, for a moment I thought you were a shill there.

It's actually the first time that I noticed that the burst changes variation if I see it from another angle. Like it was multi-layered or something. I would stare at the finish and move back and forth to see how it changes for minutes, kind of trippy. But tbh when you look at it from far away or from a thumbnail, the colour looks like yellow dog ****. I originally wanted the wine red but they didn't have that. I overlooked the G-Force, brass nut, wider neck, leo paul photo and wobbly signature because I was so excited to buy a Les Paul with a burst. Plus, as I said the other 2 2010 LPs that were there were scratched.

I really tried to like the guitar but the specs just don't work. The last straw was when I was trying to tune live and it detuned random strings one octave lower. That moment I knew I didn't want to see robotuners in front of me ever again

• 3 weeks later...

About 2 weeks ago I bought a 2015 LP Studio. There was also 2 2010 LP studios in the store which I turned down because they were scratched and I didn't like the colours as much as the 2015 one. After playing all 3 of them, the 2015 sounded brighter and louder too, probably because of the 57+ pickup and 500k volume pot (2010s have 498T and 300k vol pot). The tobacco burst looked beautiful. The wider neck didn't bother me at that moment.

I was still hesitant about my purchase, because I 've been reading about how poor the brass nut is. I ignored the robotuner because I thought the hate was just coming from purists. I also figured that if it's bad I 'll just tune manually. But it later turned out it's not that easy.

So here was my experience the next 3 days before I returned the guitar:

G-Force

• The robotuners do NOT work as intended. They will sometimes bug out or something and tune the string way to high and then settle it at the correct pitch. This caused string breakage at the 2nd day of owning the guitar. Other times they might tune a string one octave lower than normal and the system will think that it hit the correct pitch and will leave it at that.
  • The robotuners do not work if you haven't already tuned the strings close to their normal pitch manually. That alone defeats the whole purpose of having automatic tuners.
  • Restringing the guitar takes more time than it takes to restring and setup a floyd rose guitar.

>So what, you can still tune manually

Not as easy as you think:

• The lower 3 strings are wound in reverse because that's how the robotuner wounds them. It's very confusing to turn/tune them manually unless you plan to play exclusively with robotuner guitars and you don't mind getting used to tuning the strings the opposite way that you've been doing for so many years.
  • The resistance of these fragile plastic tuners is too high because of the mechanism. They also make that mechanical noise when you turn them which is kind of annoying after a while.

In conclusion, they are very unreliable and when they do work, you 'll tune as fast as you would manually

>But you can just replace them

If I have to pay extra money to fix a new guitar that costs 1250eu then it's not a good guitar

Brass nut:

As you may have already read, the zero fret will have significant wear after only a single day of playing. And when you bend a string at the first 5 frets it will "ping", slide out of its grove and get stuck on another grove, which makes the string go slightly out of tune. You know you haven't made a good purchase when guitars that cost a quarter of what you payed for yours have better tuning stability

Wider neck:

They made the neck wider but didn't increase the string spacing. So now imagine that you have a strat with narrower string spacing and wider neck. At the beginning it didn't bother me, but after playing for a while my thumb started to hurt because of the awkward grip I had to develop to play on it. If you like fingering the low string with your thumb, Jimi Hendrix style, forget about it with this neck. Gibson claims that this neck allows for lower action without buzz, but I didn't notice a difference in buzz from my other guitars which have the same action + frets that needed changing. The only real reason they made the neck like this is to complement the horrible brass nut, and the only real reason the brass nut is there is to complement the G-Force. The robotuners had a butterfly effect that ruined the whole guitar.

Headstock sig and leo paul photo:

Tackiest, cheapest looking **** ever. I thought I wouldn't care but even looking at the guitar became a pain in the ***. It just made me think "I wish I got a normal LP"

At the start I wanted my money back but they wouldn't give it to me, as I expected. So I returned it and got the black 2010 one. Some scratches on the back of the body but it's better than having robotuners and brass nut. It plays and sounds great, it's a little bit dark and it doesn't clean up very well when I roll down the volume, but that's just a matter of changing the bridge pickup and volume pots. Which is not going to be very easy because it has a PCB

As much as I love LPs, I'd never buy a new Gibson again

If you haven't, remove g-force battery and re-charge fully. Use G force to tune as well as it can, then apply a

Snark, or other headstock tuner, and fine tune. The G force on my 2015 Studio has a real tough time with the g and b strings, but this seems to work well.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2015 Studio, it sounds good when it stays in tune. It needed a set-up badly. The only way I can make it work is to keep a Snark on the head and check after every song, tuning manually. The G farce is a great idea, yet it works very poorly. Even w/ the battery fully charged, it doesn't tune the guitar properly, and doesn't like guitarist's who bend strings.

Hmm.. More of the same complaints... its a sad shame...

And yes, when I first read what the tuner ratio was for G-Force I thought it was a typing error...

They use a 40:1 ratio (40 turns of the key turns the peg around once) where as the normal sort of ratio is 14:1.. Not really good for manual tuning me thinks....

Unfortunately, the G Force on my 2015 SG Special is very inconsistent - mostly pulling everything very sharp. I can not get it to preform a Master Re-Set the correct way; it will not complete step 3 in that set of instructions, so step 4 never happens... I am going to have my dealer try to get the entire unit replaced and see if it can work - if the new G Force unit comes with the same old bugs or new ones, then it's a set of manual tuning pegs and into a zip-lock bag goes the G Force. The tuning is so inconsistent I can not even use the guitar at rehearsal, much less a gig. Very disappointed. I love everything about the SG Special, I'd just like to have it in tune so I can play it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a new 2015 Les Paul Studio for a few weeks now, and am loving it, G-Force too. After recharging the battery, the auto-tuner works for me! It's great to just push a button and your tuned up. Once in a blue moon, I may touch it up manually, but it's easy.

I'm also appreciative of the extra width on the neck - nice! The setup on mine was good, right out of the box....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Wine Red) setup.

I've had the tuners changed to Gibson Vintage (Kluson) & Bone nut fitted.

It's totally stunning. I love the fact the neck is wider, it makes room for my sausage hands. This truly is an amazing playing and sounding instrument now.

I have owned 4 USA Gibsons in my time as a guitarist. I have owned USA Deluxe Fenders, PRS Custom 24, USA Parkers etc. I'm no stranger to nice guitars and I have to say, This is the best sounding and playing guitar I have ever owned.

I love the tone, the setup, the pickups, the wood, I could go on.

I realise that this has cost me more money to get my guitar the way I want it, but damn, I'm happy!

Gibson Vintage Kluson tuners - £50

Bone nut & setup - £30

STUNNING tone & sustain - Priceless!!

[biggrin]

Archived