Gibson Brands Forums

Thunderhorse Explorer

Thomse

Hey i just picked this guitar up and i am really liking the sound and the feel of it , I always like silver burst finishes and i could not beat the price i got it for new . I like the Phenolic fret board right down to the Gibson pickups . You know how it is when you keep looking at a guitar and after you keep looking you have to have . [crying]

Had almost bought one myself (having been GASing for an Explorer type guitar) but, wasn't too sure about that Phenolic fret board, for one. Will be curious to know how well the fret board material holds up over time.

By the way...

I ended up getting a Dean Z Chicago Flame (a limited run series for Dean's 35th anniversary). It's a very well made and incredible sounding guitar. It has an ebony fret board and comes with DiMarzio Super Distortions humbuckers. Mine has the Trans Cherry finish.

Had almost bought one myself (having been GASing for an Explorer type guitar) but, wasn't too sure about that Phenolic fret board, for one. Will be curious to know how well the fret board material holds up over time.

By the way...

I ended up getting a Dean Z Chicago Flame (a limited run series for Dean's 35th anniversary). It's a very well made and incredible sounding guitar. It has an ebony fret board and comes with DiMarzio Super Distortions humbuckers. Mine has the Trans Cherry finish.

That is some of the reason i bought it is for that fret board . I have played it for 2 days and the frets show no sign of ware . the fret board is as shinny as the guitar . So far so good . Dean builds a fine guitar .

That is some of the reason I bought it is for that fret board . I have played it for 2 days and the frets show no sign of ware . the fret board is as shinny as the guitar . So far so good . Dean builds a fine guitar .

Good to know. There are still a few new Thunderhorses available out there...some at reduced prices!

I have a 2014 Epiphone Explorer Pro. I really like it. But, I have never played the Epiphone Thunderhorse. I wonder if there is much of a difference between the 2 models . Anyone play both ? Impressions ?

GEDC0361_zpsca5ab782.jpg

I have a 2014 Epiphone Explorer Pro. I really like it. But, I have never played the Epiphone Thunderhorse. I wonder if there is much of a difference between the 2 models . Anyone play both ? Impressions ?

GEDC0361_zpsca5ab782.jpg

Hey Crust . i have both and there is a lot of differences in the sound and feel . I like them both, both are different. With the fret board it is man made and as smooth and shinny as the clear on the guitar and the Gibson pickups . I like them both I was not going to buy the Thunderhorse because i have the tv silver explorer . but the price was right and i ordered it and after i got it i am glad i did . You know how it is with the guitars .Some you buy right away and then where are some you can wait and when the price is that good you buy. Pick one up to ad to your many .

Archived