Gibson Brands Forums: Internal Hardware Specs - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Internal Hardware Specs Does any developer/repair documentation exist for the internals?

#1 User is offline   AdrianTP 

• Group: Members

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:53 AM

After reading this forum post and this blog article the idea of hacking the console has begun to really appeal to me.

Does anyone happen to know the manufacturer or part number or any information about the DIMM-socketed processor board? I would like to try and find a pin-compatible replacement (if such a thing exists) so I can "upgrade" the system.

Failing that, I'd like to find some way of plugging this into a Raspberry Pi or some other compact single-board computer that can fit inside the case and getting HID-level control output from it (not MIDI via USB -- the lag from MIDI consoles is unacceptable and it would really kill the jog resolution). For example, I know the Raspberry Pi Compute Module has a 200-pin SO-DIMM layout (seems to be the same footprint as the ColdFire board in the SCS.4DJ), but I highly doubt it's pin-compatible with this (apparently custom, seeing as I can find no documentation of its existence or availability as a consumer- or developer-level product) Freescale ColdFire board. Getting the HID signals and writing some custom code into Mixxx or something that can make use of that data would be amazing.

I just think this unit could be so much more, and with active support and software updates apparently ending, I want to see what I can do to keep the unit relevant in the face of such competitors as the thoroughly impressive (and also physically large and quite expensive) Pioneer XDJ-RX. I also just like to customise things and make my own hardware and software. If I don't have to let this collect dust and build a new console from scratch, and can avoid shelling out $1500 for a Pioneer XDJ-RX, that would be pretty cool. A tiny, lightweight, portable console like the SCS.4DJ fits right into my ideals.

Update 1 (2015-04-28T1?:??:??Z): After some additional research, I am finding several other similar SO-DIMM single-board computers (They go by the acronym "SOMDIMM", a combination of SOM "System on Module" [another name for a single-board computer designed to plug into a larger board] and DIMM "Dual Inline Memory Module" [the type of port it's designed to plug into]). I will continue to update this post as I find more information and eventually creep closer to an understanding of the specific board used in the SCS.4DJ in the hopes that it will be useful to some other curious soul.

Update 2 (2015-04-29T04:47:00Z): I managed to find out that the SCS.4DJ seems to have been contracted out to and/or produced by IVL Audio, Inc.. Their maker's mark is stamped on every PCB inside the unit (I couldn't stand not knowing, so I just completely disassembled mine with loving care -- the centre selection jog was the hardest part to remove).

Update 3 (2015-04-29T05:53:00Z):

Major features on the front of the main processor board are limited to three unique chips. The largest is the Freescale processor core. The second-largest is a Hynix NAND chip. The third is a USB controller.

The CPU is labelled as:

[Freescale Logo]
MCIMX353DJQ5C
M99V
BTJN1123E
SNGPR

According to this document (PDF) that part number translates to the following:

MC: Full Spec Qualified Product (not an engineering sample)
IMX353: i.MX35 Processor
D: -20~70 Celsius (operating temperature)
JQ: (this code is not in the document, but it refers to the package type — it’s probably MAPBGA or similar)
5: 532 MHz (clock speed)
C: Revision C

In English that basically means this is an energy-efficient single-core 532 MHz processor.

The datasheet (PDF) says that this chip uses an ARM 11 (ARM1136JF-S) processor architecture (among other implications, this could probably run Android if you were so inclined). It has a multi-level cache and built-in support for controlling an LCD screen, ethernet, and graphics acceleration. It also supports OpenVG 1.1 graphics, USB 2.0, and enhanced serial audio. Surprisingly, it also includes support for Parallel ATA (also known as IDE for you old-school computer hardware buffs). Its built-in display controller supports up to 1024x1024 pixel resolution in 24-bit colour, and it also has built-in support for a camera sensor (which explains how it is able to process the data passed in by the CCDs used for determining jog wheel position, rotation direction, and rotation speed).

The NAND is labelled as:

Hynix KOR
HY27UF084G2B
TPCB 114A
M8XA6D39QD

HY: Hynix Memory
27: NAND Flash
U: 2.7V~3.6V
F: SLC + Single Die + L/B
08: x8 (bit organisation)
4G: 4Gb (density/capacity)
2: Sequential Row Read Disable (mode)
B: 3rd Generation

T: TSOP1 (package type)
P: Lead Free
C: 0~70 Celsius (operating temperature)
B: Included Bad Block

I’m not able to find out what the 114A or the last line mean, so I’ll assume they’re manufacturing batch identifiers.

In English, the “decoded” information means this chip is a 4 Gigabit (512 Megabyte) Flash memory chip. This chip is probably used to store the firmware / operating system for the SCS.4DJ. This thing runs Linux, and this chip is probably where that Linux installation is stored. This is also probably where your settings in the System menu are stored.

The USB controller is labelled as:

SMSC
USB3315
146242H
CMY

According to this page that chip is a Standard Microsystems Corporation USB 2.0 Transceiver with 1.8V-3.3V ULPI Interface 24MHz Reference Clock

In English, that mean this chip controls the USB ports.

-----

Major features on the back of the main processor board are limited to two identical chips, both labelled as:

Samsung 134
K4T51163QI-HCF7
YD6205F3C

K: Memory
4: DRAM
T: DDR2 SDRAM
51: 512Mb 8K/64ms
16: x16 (bit organisation)
3: 4 internal banks
Q: SSTL_18, 1.8V, 1.8V
I: I-die generation
H: FBGA (Lead-Free & Halogen-Free)
C: 0~85 Celsius (operating temperature)
F7: DDR2-800 (400MHz)

There appears to be no reference for the bottom line, so I assume it’s just a manufacturing batch identifier.

In English, the “decoded” information means this chip is a 512 Megabit (64 Megabyte) SDRAM (working memory) chip. There are two, so we’ll say there’s 128 MB of SDRAM. SDRAM is RAM, analogous to the RAM in your laptop. This is what the CPU uses to temporarily store the results of calculations while the machine is running.

-----

The motherboard into which the SOMDIMM (the daughterboard containing the processor, USB controller, and memory chips) is seated contains a few pieces of silicon, but only one is really worthy of note:

FE1.1
USB 2.0 HUB
L03N489A6151

That chip doesn’t really need decoding…it’s a USB 2.0 hub for multiplexing the single USB port supported by the Freescale CPU and the SMSC USB controller chip into the 4 USB ports available on the unit. The fifth USB port for using the unit in MIDI mode is probably handled by the Freescale CPU’s built-in USB support, while the other four are probably handled by the SMSC USB controller chip, if I had to guess.

So far none of this information has helped me find a compatible SOMDIMM; I still don't know the pinout of the (apparently custom-made by IVL) board. But! I had fun researching all this information, and at the very least it should help me manually trace the circuit paths on the board.

In addition, I stumbled upon an ELF decoder (ELF is the true file format of the firmware updates, as specified in this blog article). This means I should (hypothetically) be able to decompile the firmware and maybe make patches if I'm determined enough (keep in mind I am not making promises to provide updates or support -- I don't know C or ARM11 Assembly, so it will be months at the least before I'm even able to think about working on the code, if ever). Here's the document I found detailing how to use the decoder (PDF).

Update 4 (2015-04-29T07:05:00Z): I think I might have found something. It's a page which no longer exists, but it still present in Google's cache from when they first indexed the page. Cogent manufactured Freescale dev boards in SOMDIMM format, and I managed to find the datasheet for one in the same processor family. Hopefully IVL Audio didn't get too creative and just stuck with the dev design provided by Cogent when they (undoubtedly) used their dev boards during the R&D process for the SCS.4DJ. Here's the cached page.

Update 5 (2015-04-29T07:45:00Z): The CSB732 development board ("cached page" link above) by Cogent appears to be exactly what I am looking for. Unfortunately the detailed datasheet (they call it the “hardware reference”) seems not to exist anywhere on the internet. I managed to find the hardware reference documents for the CSB726 (PDF) and CSB735 (PDF), and my initial observations indicate that all CSB700-series SOMDIMMs are pin-compatible with each other, in order to fit into the standard 700-series development kit (which contains a screen and other standard peripherals). Hopefully the pinout in these documents will lead me either to another pin-compatible ARM11-based board (which can run the stock SCS.4DJ firmware), another pin-compatible board with a different processor architecture (which would require new/ported firmware but would still be a functional option), or at the very least give me the opportunity to find some other means of interfacing with the controls through the SO-DIMM slot (perhaps manufacturing my own adapter board to break the pins out into easily-accessible headers so I can rig it up to a Raspberry PI or something). The CSB735 is an ARM9 board (the code should port over without *too* much difficulty, but the processor is less powerful than the one already in the unit), and the CSB740 (PDF) is an ARM Cortex A8 board (again, the code should be portable with relative ease, and the Cortex A8 is marginally more powerful than the current CPU).

I have sent off an email to Cogent to ask for any documentation they might have on the CSB732, or failing that, any compatible ARM11-based board. I am too tired to stay awake and keep up this research right now (it's 2AM local time) but I'll keep going tomorrow and report my findings. I hope this means I'm making headway... :D

Update 6 (2015-05-02T04:21:00Z): I found the sparse datasheet for the Cogent CSB732 here (PDF). I might have a slight problem, though: after I reassembled the unit, it will power on and either freeze with the home screen shown and the LEDs all still doing their boot-up disco, or it will power on and freeze looking like it's normal and sitting at the Browse screen (but accepts no input via buttons or the jog, and will not read my USB drive). I have no idea how this happened; I was *really* careful not to drop anything or get all staticky up in its business. Hopefully it's something simple and I can fix it, because there's no way I can get a warranty-covered repair after documenting with such detail my quest to disassemble it and reverse-engineer it. For all intents and purposes, the warranty was voided the second I removed the first screw. [crying]

I tried the steps documented here to boot into service mode, but they had no effect other than the unit freezing with all lights off and the backlight on the screen on (but the screen was blank).

Update 7 (2015-05-02T04:50:00Z): It's alive again. I took the back cover off, unseated the SOM, plugged the power in, turned it on, watched it light up and complain about the SOM not being plugged in (by blinking just the Home and Browse lights), turned it off, unplugged the power, re-seated the SOM, plugged it in, turned it on, and it booted normally and responded to input. Shut it down, unplugged it, put the cover back on, plugged it in, and turned it on. I'm back in business! [cool]

#2 User is offline   eljeffe 

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

This is probably my favorite thread so far...excellent work and thank you.

I just recently went inside to do crossfader replacement and took some pictures. I will post those soon.

#3 User is offline   *E-ROW* 

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:01 AM

[thumbup]

#4 User is offline   Luc van Vliet 

• Group: All Access

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:04 PM

Great job so far..
Very interested in what comes out all of this!

Is the Raspberry Pi2, here in the link:[url=http://www.aliexpress.com/item/In-stock-2015-New-Original-Raspberry-Pi-2-Model-B-Broadcom-BCM2836-1G-RAM-6-times/32293104363.html?spm=2114.30010108.4.2.stMmcs

the Raspberry you mentioned?
Would it be possible tot swap it with SCS's 'heart'?

#5 User is offline   Schmidi 

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

Fascinating read here!

#6 User is offline   grim_style 

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:01 PM

This is an excellent thread.
Since you pulled your unit apart, I have some questions about the main board. (I received one that is DOA and I can't send it back) The power switch, is it passive or latching? The other question I have is about a surface mount part next to the power switch on the main board, it is labeled "V1". This part is either missing or destroyed so I cannot identify it. Anyone have any ideas on these parts or possibly the board diagram? I have been unsuccessful in finding any information.

#7 User is offline   jneilmbs 

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:44 AM

Great discoveries you've shared with us, thank you! I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know if you were able to go through with the Pi transplant?

#8 User is offline   CoveRider 

• Group: All Access
  • LocationWellington, NZ

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:51 PM

Kind of an old topic, wondering if you had any success with the RaspPi concepts.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users