Gibson Brands Forums

Tommy Thayer White Lightning/Tony Iommi SG

Campbell

Though not a fan of KISS, I am excited about the soon to be available Tommy Thayer White Lightning Les Paul. It seems to have the same build quality and specs as the Tribute Plus (deep set neck, special p/u's, case, etc.). I also like that it's a white guitar (metallic white) with silver/chrome rather than gold accents.

N_012215A3_R.jpg

As I mentally and financially prepare for the aforementioned guitar, Epiphone announces another signature model, the Tony Iommi SG. Now, I AM a big fan of Black Sabbath and have been wanting to add an SG to my collection, as well. This model will have Gibson USA's Tony Iommi Signature Humbuckers, but, alas, will not include a case (what's up with that, Epiphone!?!) I'm hoping the exclusion of a case will make it a bit more affordable.

N_041515B2.jpg

[thumbup] Both very nice and I especially like the white. I'd definately have to have a case to put it in though.

The Les Paul comes with a case, in matching white! [thumbup]

The SG will not include a case...at least not as of this writing. [thumbdn]

No word yet on a release date for the SG. I'll probably have the Les Paul before the SG is available. [love]

• 4 weeks later...

I just discovered that a few online music stores are already displaying the Tony Iommi SG.

The sales price I've seen is $799.00. I had a hunch it would be around that price (bout double the price of a G400 Pro.)

Aside from it being a signature model, it does have Tony's own design Gibson p/u's, as well as an ebony fret board. Still, I'm not sure that warrants the huge increase in price. At least they should have thrown in a nice case with it...or at least a gig bag. Heck, the Brendon Small Explorer (Thunderhorse) comes with a gig bag and it's based on cartoon guitarist!

Okay, my rant is threw. I'm just a little disappointed. Was planning on getting one, but now I'm thinking of going with the Tommy "Ace Jr." Thayer Les Paul. It looks like a great guitar, similar to my Tribute Plus Les Paul in build and quality. The Tommy Thayer has the Seymour Duncan p/u's, leather strap, COA (with a photo of Ace Jr.!)and a case!

Okay, NOW my rant's over! [cursing]

Still, but are very cool guitars, kids. :)

Archived