Gibson Brands Forums

Of your guitars, which is your favorite?

Tim Plains

Is it just me, or are Les Pauls truly the epitome of the electric guitar?

I have six Gibsons, one Fender Strat and one A&L accoustic. The Strat and A&L have become dust collectors. Every night, I play guitar anywhere from one to three hours - don't ask about weekends!

While playing a SG or ES, I feel like playing a LP; and often, I switch to a LP. Is this normal? Yet, when I'm playing a Lester - doesn't matter which one - I'm content. Clearly, I'm bias towards these beautiful chunks of wood, but there's something about them, I can't explain it.

Tim,

I have played guitar for 44 years and always wanted a great Les Paul guitar. Problem is that I grew up in a town where the great ones were not around. The LP's of the late 60's and 70's were not the great guitar of the 50's and fortunately for us of the 90's and 2000's. We are now living in the greatest guitar building time of all history! In my opinion a great Les Paul is among the top guitars you could ever own. And if you can only own one guitar...you could do a lot worse.

I think a well-armed guitarist should have most of the following...

A GREAT example of ...

A Les Paul, a Telecaster, a Stratocaster, a Jazz style archtop and maybe a thinline hollowbody of some sort. Also one or two great acoustics.

That being said your idea of a great example can vary quite differently than mine. Mine LP is a 2004 '58 Historic Figure Top Reissue. It can be purchased at least $1000 cheaper than the 59 reissue but has 100% of the tone and 95% of the vibe. I hope my opinion was received with the kindness and thoughtfulness that your comments were made. God Bless and have a blast with your LP and your music.

telecasters

Steve C

i own/have owned the following:

95 LP Studio

06 SG Std

06 LP Classic

07 LP Std Faded

07 HW1 Strat

96 MIM Std Strat

97 MIM Std Tele

98 SG Special

2000 Jackson RR V

my favorite is definitely my LP Std Faded. best guitar i have ever played. even better than the R8 and G0 i played today at GC. and it was a "blind purchase" from an internet dealer.=P~/

Of the electrics my Am Deluxe Strat definitely tops the list, followed closely by my SG. The telecaster and the LP are tied in 3rd, although the LP is a solid third if I can play it sitting down - it just isn't a good ergonomic fit standing up. Of all my guitars the acoustic 12 string Alvarez is definitely the favorite.

Of the electrics my Am Deluxe Strat definitely tops the list' date=' followed closely by my SG. The telecaster and the LP are tied in 3rd, although the LP is a solid third if I can play it sitting down - it just isn't a good ergonomic fit standing up. Of all my guitars the acoustic 12 string Alvarez is definitely the favorite.

[/quote']

That's interesting to me re your opinion of the LP being uncomfortable to play STANDING (I revised this part). I have found it to be just the opposite. If you can deal with the weight, which isn't a problem for me, I think the LP is much more comfortable to play standing. It's funny how everyones perception is different. When I play a LP sitting down, it cuts into my leg and tends to sit awkwardly to my right so that my right shoulder gets sore.

Having said that, my LP Studio Plus is without a doubt my favorite over my SG Classic and MIM Strat.

Yes... theres a lot of PRS loving folk around... i guess most of them just foloow what they are told by guitarOne or guitar world promo adds.

Nothing compares to a gibson... for me a guitar is either a gibson or a fender... or if you are on a low budget, an authorized version of either... the rest are just modded copies of the original electric guitar.

Tonight for example...

After my daughter went to bed I was in the mood for some good ol' blues.

I picked up my SRV. Guys, I know this is a Gibson forum, but man that guitar can weep

like no other I have ever owned.

Tomorrow...

I may be in a hard rockin Alice Cooper mode, or an Aerosmith frame of mind.

Then the Les Paul comes out. I know what you mean Tim...

Once you get the LP out you dont want to put it away.

Im fortunate to have them both...I feel very blessed.

Geetar,

Yeah great question....my opinion:

I think a great guitar will always hold it's value and increase in price over time. The high end guitars seem to fare the best over the years. Low end never seems to become really collectible.

Specifically high end custom shop Les Paul Reissues ...I think they will hold their value and increase modestly over time. The quality of their work is higher and they are not mass produced like oher guitars. To compare their value with 50's Les Pauls...it is hard for me to imagine that my 58R will be worth $100M plus in 50 years.

I think the reason that the early guitars are so valuable is that they are rare, tremendous playing guitars and were played by iconic rock and roll stars. When I was growing up in the '70's you could buy a 1959 Les Paul for $2500.00 and it was a darned expensive guitar at the time. A 70's LP could be had for $600.00...I wouldn't want one of those guitars as they weighed more than my car and did not have the tone and playability that a 1950's (or Historic Reissue) has. That said, not all 1950's guitars played as well or sounded as good as some of the current custom shop reissues.

As long as old farts like me want guitars, I think the price will stay strong. But right now the best guitars the world has ever seen are being produced. I consider myself blessed and fortunate that I am able to own a few.

God bless.

I posted a question in another guitar forum that I belong to...

Which would you rather have...

Gibson Les Paul...

Paul Reed Smith...

About 80% said PRS...for quality.

To me its a no brainer.

Thats why I have the LP.

never even played a PRS. and i have no desire to. I'm sure they are quality instruments, I just don't care.

I feel the same way as FennRx, Gibson is the only brand I have interest in. This is one thing that could be called the "Mercades Benz of Guitars" or the Ferari. (Sorry about that spelling) Now I probably never own one of those cars, but Im what, 6 or 7 months off a ****in GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD in Vintage Sunburst that will most likely be with me my whole life (I wont sell it if I dont have to)

At the moment Gibsons are falling in quality, and I read someone read that Gibson production might move overseas, if that happens Gibson is bound to be as bad as Epiphones which would make me sad. They need to pick there game up. If they keep at the standard they are at now (it may not be as good as 10 years ago) I will start a nice collection though.

When I played my 1st Les Paul, I knew I had found my guitar.

My black 87 LP Custom Lite is my favorite. I'm the second owner and it was more of a back up guitar so it saw a lot less playing time. The tone is also a little brighter, a little less muddy than my 88 cherryburst. It's my number #1 axe.

I sold my '02 LP Standard Raw Power before I bought the '87, so I can't compare the two for tone. I can tell you that the Standard Raw Power was one of, if not the best sounding guitar I had ever seen or heard. Pretty finishes are nice, but less or no finish = better tone.

I have long aspired to own a great Les Paul. I have had (over the last 30 years!!!) Strats, Teles, Gretsch, Gibson Firebird, Gibson L6-s and several Epiphone LPs. Finally, in the last 12 months I have moved on the Epiphones and bought two glorious LPs, a 1990 Standard with a gorgeous sunburst plain top and a 2001 Deluxe Goldtop, which sounds amazing!

I know this is a Gibson forum and I am completely in love with my two Les Pauls but I have to say, I have just bought an Edwards relic'd 59 RI Jimmy Page Les Paul with coil taps, super circuit and seymour duncans (59 neck and custom bridge). It's an amazing axe! All the reviews that I read sang it's praises and they were not lying. It sounds incredible (especially the Jimmy Page/Peter Green out-of-phase sound), the neck is really comfortable and the relicing is first rate.

Still love my gibbos though........

Actually I think Gibson quality is at an all time high.

When I think of my 91 Les Paul ( I dont have it anymore )...and I think of my

2007 LP...The look, the craftsmanship and the sound are much nicer.

I was never a fan of chrome hardware...now its nickel.

I didnt like the 3 piece top...Now its 2 piece and book matched.

Im totally satisfied with my LP.

Actually I think Gibson quality is at an all time high.

When I think of my 91 Les Paul ( I dont have it anymore )...and I think of my

2007 LP...The look' date=' the craftsmanship and the sound are much nicer.

I was never a fan of chrome hardware...now its nickel.

I didnt like the 3 piece top...Now its 2 piece and book matched.

Im totally satisfied with my LP.[/quote']

I completely agree. I don't agree with decisions on discontinuing models/colors and such but the quality on my Les Paul Supreme has been PHENOMINAL. I was about ready to give up when my guitar came in (after 7 months when they said it would take 30-45 days). Just pulling that white veil off the case, my heart skipped a beat and I questioned whether I was really looking at a guitar. It is a work of art....all Les Pauls for that matter....

I ran into a guitarist of 40+ years at Guitar Center with my Supreme. He said he's owned/played dozens of Les Pauls and told me, "It's the best Les Paul I've ever played in my life...". He told me when you play it, "..It's like you're fingers are dancing with it, very fluid".

It is not just my favorite guitar in my collection but my DREAM guitar. It was one hell of an upgrade coming from my 2002 Epiphone Les Paul. Perhaps the only other guitar I might covet a little more would be the 25th Anniversary Jackson Randy Rhoads (white with gold hardware and only 25 made ever)

IMG_1175.jpg

It is not just my favorite guitar in my collection but my DREAM guitar.

Dream guitar...don't get me started on dream guitars. #-o

Fellow Gibsonites, I just had an idea (maybe not a great idea...but an idea). DuaLeaD, first of all, you do have a sweet axe there...and I'm not trying to pick on you or take anything away from it; this idea occurred to me when I read your last post.

How about we host a few 'heads up' threads with voting buttons. Two members square off by taking a few beautiful pictures of their Paul, then create a poll on the forum and others votes for their favorite of the two. It doesn't have to be Supreme vs. Supreme either...maybe White Supreme vs. Silverburst Custom, for example O:)

Just a thought...might be fun for a while.

I'm serious, I think this could be a great idea!! #-o

If any body's interested, send me a few pics of your LPs and I'll start up the first poll: tim1978@sympatico.ca

Just put something like "LP vs" in the subject line and in the body of the email, put your log in name, year, model, colour, etc. Gibson Les Paul Model guitars only...USA and CS, of course.

I have a couple of different favourites for different reasons. My #1 is my custom made LP Elegant. I think my fave tone guitar right now is my Taylor T5, and my most comfortable to play guitar is my Brian Moore. I have a lot of excellent guitars but I do have a special spot for LPs.

Archived