Gibson Brands Forums

Frets on an ES-339

Phelonious Ponk

I played a new ES-339 yesterday. Nice guitar, but moving up and down the board felt like doing 45 over speed bumps every 20 feet. It wasn't the size of the frets; I like medium jumbos, even jumbos. But on close inspection, these frets were squared off - no crown at all. Is this normal?

P

Hi,

as a former 339 owner and current 359 owner I can share my experience.

The frets of all the pre-2015 ES3XX including the 339( the 2015 production has lower frets, according to Gibson site)

are square and I would not call them "jumbo".

If you are used to play flat frets or small frets on acoustics or other brands it can be a surprise for you, but it

was the price to pay when you get a Gibson 3XX. But fortunatly we forget it easily while playing and it is still comfortable

BUT................can be an issue

If you already know the Gibson ESs , you must compare the playability side by side with another 339 or 335 ; they have the same

frets ( for example on the 359 there is a "lucille" neck so a Lucille fretboard). If there is a big difference it means that this

particular 339 has a big finish problem, you can bring it to a luthier but it will be expensive.

If you have not bought this guitar and if you plan buying a new 339, you must try the 2015 339, it seems tht many improvements have

been made , including the fretting.

I have a 2009 ES-339 with the 30/60 neck.

The frets are very nicely rounded & dressed.

Not a hint of catching fingers on the nubs.

Overall, one of most comfortable necks I've ever played.

Guess some days at the shop are better than others.

Just an observation, I had the same issue; but I crowned/polished my frets. I'm guessing that the Plek machine does fret leveling with minimal crowning. The frets edges felt and looked angular.

Edit...insert pic..

20150504_105755_zpssejndcel.jpg

I just ordered a new 2014 Es339 Satin which will be here in a few days. The last if the 2014s out there are priced some $500.00 Less than the 2015s and I figured I would jump while I still could.

As I was placing the order I specifically asked about these frets based on this forum post. The fellow went and checked them out for me and they sounded very much like typical ES style frets.

My ES175 for example has a wider fret wire than say my Les Pauls, and certainly wider than a Tele or a Strat. With the nibs on the end of each fret they also appear to be less rounded than a Lester as well.

I have no issue with the taller and less rounded frets on my ES175, so I figure the 339 will be just about the same.

The 339 does in fact have nib ends, right?

Okay, I've taken delivery of mine. I'll post some pics and a review when I get some more time.

The frets...

They're just fine. As I suspected they do in fact resemble the frets on my Memphis ES175. They could use a touch of polishing, but they're nicely crowned, nibbed and not too tall.

This 2014 ES 339 Satin is a great playing and sounding guitar.

Okay, I've taken delivery of mine. I'll post some pics and a review when I get some more time.

The frets...

They're just fine. As I suspected they do in fact resemble the frets on my Memphis ES175. They could use a touch of polishing, but they're nicely crowned, nibbed and not too tall.

This 2014 ES 339 Satin is a great playing and sounding guitar.

Congratulations, Enjoy!

these small size ES are really little jewels, amazingly sounding for their size, they vibrate !!

I have just seen on their site that Gibson has released a ES349 ( limited edition)

another reduction of a 33X model , another dream guitar ! May be we'll soon have a mini Lucille

( I have already a Lucille neck on My 359) , today is a sad day for us

• 3 weeks later...

My new 339 is similar. Imperfectly crowned and not polished. Intonation is fine. They are uniform and level. Sounds fine.

Maybe a Plek mk11 is needed.

Anyway, its only during the last 3 days that Ive started to enjoy it properly (had it 3 weeks). I stopped analysing and comparing it and just played for pleasure. The sound has charmed me now.

Archived