Gibson Brands Forums

Thunderhorse fretboard info

mickbarb

Hi guys,

I've been trying to sell my thunderhorse explorer and have been asked a few questions regarding the fretboard material. the main question is wether it is Richlite or Ebony.. i don't know the difference and according to the gibson website, they should be richlite. the person asking me reckons the first 200 were an ebony fretboard. is this correct and how would i tell? never even heard of richlite till this week.. thanks for your help.

cheers - Mick

An ebony fretboard will have some very tight grain in the wood. Richlite is a dull-satin texture that is completely smooth with no grain at all.

If you still can't tell the difference, post some clear, close up pics of your fretboard and I can help.

An ebony fretboard will have some very tight grain in the wood. Richlite is a dull-satin texture that is completely smooth with no grain at all.

If you still can't tell the difference, post some clear, close up pics of your fretboard and I can help.

the fretboard has a wood grain, i received a reply from Gibson.com stating that all thunder horse explorers have a richlite fretboard but this one clearly has a wood grain... i don't know and i can't post pics on the site for some reason

Archived