Gibson Brands Forums

New I B Texan and Used AJ 500m

Daveyl7

New to the forum, but been reading for a month from time to time. I wanted to get your thoughts. Is there much difference between these 2 guitars other than appearance and some laminate sides on the Texan. Is a used masterbilt in good condition worth $50 more than a new IB Texan? Thanks.

New to the forum, but been reading for a month from time to time. I wanted to get your thoughts. Is there much difference between these 2 guitars other than appearance and some laminate sides on the Texan. Is a used masterbilt in good condition worth $50 more than a new IB Texan? Thanks.

personally, I think they sound and play different. both are great guitars but having played both and pulling the trigger years ago on an AJ Masterbilt; I'd go with the Masterbilt again. if you can, play both and see which one speaks to you. seems to be a great deal on the Masterbilt if it's only 50 bucks more.

Welcome to the forum! If you are sure the Masterbilt AJ500M (Mahogany) is in good shape, that would be the best deal in my opinion. I own an AJ500M and also an AJ500R (rosewood) They are excellent guitars and can't be beat for an all 100% solid wood guitar. They come standard with bone nut and saddles. The Texan is also an excellent guitar. But the Masterbilts are the BMW's of Epiphone. And a good one will match any premium $2000 instrument in sound and tone and volume. But if you doubt or are not sure of its condition, a Texan might be better if it is new. I do prefer the beautiful gloss finish on the Texan, verses the matte finish on the Masterbilts which has a somewhat dull dry looking finish. Both perform excellently.

Welcome to the forum! If you are sure the Masterbilt AJ500M (Mahogany) is in good shape, that would be the best deal in my opinion. I own an AJ500M and also an AJ500R (rosewood) They are excellent guitars and can't be beat for an all 100% solid wood guitar. They come standard with bone nut and saddles. The Texan is also an excellent guitar. But the Masterbilts are the BMW's of Epiphone. And a good one will match any premium $2000 instrument in sound and tone and volume. But if you doubt or are not sure of its condition, a Texan might be better if it is new. I do prefer the beautiful gloss finish on the Texan, verses the matte finish on the Masterbilts which has a somewhat dull dry looking finish. Both perform excellently.

Thanks, for the friendly welcome. I think the AJ is in good/great condition and the guitar tech at Guitar Center inspected the instrument and he tells me it's good. From what I can see, it has no scratches or cracks, frets are good, no buzz, bridge is set well. I agree with your comment about the look of the Texan, at the risk of sounding superficial, I like the shinny orange/yellow top finish and fret inlays of the Texan. She is pretty. The AJ is a plain jane almost ugly duckling of a guitar. A classic look. That said I will decide based on the sound and playability and I expect the AJ will perform better in that regard. Thanks again.

Welcome to the madhouse. As for the question - no contest - I'd grab the Masterbilt (and get a Texan later)

I have both of these guitars right now and have 14 days to decide which one to keep. Seems to me that the AJ neck has a more comfortable reach and feel. What I'm curious about, if anybody can answer is how similar/ different is the build, like the neck profile, nut width and type of internal bracing? The specs on the website appear to say that the neck profile is the same, but they feel different. I think I will put new strings on the AJ and listen to how they sound side by side.

Besides looking absolutely spectacular, the IB64 Texan has really great electronics should you ever need to plug in. If you find a good one and get it set up well, you will be very, very, very pleased. When looking at the entire picture....sound, feel and looks, I would choose the Texan every day of the week. It's just a freaking awesome guitar. And at $399 including electronics it won't kill your wallet to invest in a proper set up and even fret dressing. Keep that puppy outfitted with D'Addario EJ16 phosphor bronze strings, too (Light 12-53 gauge). This guitar was made for those strings.

Don't wanna take my word for it? Here's a quote from Teja Gerken, Senior Editor at Acoustic Guitar Magazine:

The Epiphone Inspired by “1964” Texan is a cool guitar, and it’s hard to imagine getting more value for a street price of around $400. The instrument has vintage looks, classic Texan sound, great playability, and easy-to-use electronics. If you’re in the market for a full-sounding large-body guitar, give this Texan a try.

Besides looking absolutely spectacular, the IB64 Texan has really great electronics should you ever need to plug in. If you find a good one and get it set up well, you will be very, very, very pleased. When looking at the entire picture....sound, feel and looks, I would choose the Texan every day of the week. It's just a freaking awesome guitar. And at $399 including electronics it won't kill your wallet to invest in a proper set up and even fret dressing. Keep that puppy outfitted with D'Addario EJ16 phosphor bronze strings, too (Light 12-53 gauge). This guitar was made for those strings.

Don't wanna take my word for it? Here's a quote from Teja Gerken, Senior Editor at Acoustic Guitar Magazine:

The Epiphone Inspired by “1964” Texan is a cool guitar, and it’s hard to imagine getting more value for a street price of around $400. The instrument has vintage looks, classic Texan sound, great playability, and easy-to-use electronics. If you’re in the market for a full-sounding large-body guitar, give this Texan a try.

Yes, the electronics are cool and worthy of further consideration. First thing I did when I brought it home was put on new EJ16 strings. It was a 5 string at the shop.

I bought it new for $299, in store special, I'm guessing because of a missing string the missing Epsilon from the pick guard. I just don't understand why the shop let a guitar hang on the wall with a string missing.

I picked up the Masterbilt for the same price plus $27 shipping used.

I have both of these guitars right now and have 14 days to decide which one to keep. Seems to me that the AJ neck has a more comfortable reach and feel. What I'm curious about, if anybody can answer is how similar/ different is the build, like the neck profile, nut width and type of internal bracing? The specs on the website appear to say that the neck profile is the same, but they feel different. I think I will put new strings on the AJ and listen to how they sound side by side.

Davy...Concerning your questions.....the nut widths are the same at 1.68 but the difference you are feeling in neck profiles is because they are slightly different. The Masterbilt has what is called a "Slim Taper D" Profile. The Texan has what is called a " 1960 Slim Taper" Profile. although they sound similar and are close, I suspect the 1960 version is different than the modern day version on the Masterbilt, and may be why you feel a difference. I agree with you on the Masterbilt neck shape and feel. It is the best neck profile I have ever played, better to me than Gibson, Martin or Taylor...and I own or have owned all three. As far as the bracing I believe they are similar as in the Advanced Jumbo family. The differences in tone between the two would most likely be due to one is solid wood, and one is partial laminate.

The Epiphone AJ500M has 18:1 premium Grover tuners, verses the normal 14:1 which means the 18:1 are far more precise, tuning quickly and efficiently when tuning your guitar...(you don't need to turn 18:1 tuners as far to get in tune, a tiny tweak and bam they are in!)

Also concerning matte finishes...while I generally prefer gloss on the body...the neck I DEFINITELY LOVE in the slim taper D matte finish on the Masterbilts. I prefer that neck 1000 times more than my Gibson Hummingbird...because its shape..and the the non stick matte on the neck to me anyway...make it one of the best feeling necks in the world. Every bit as good as Taylor..and I've owned three of those...the Masterbilt neck is every bit as desirable to play and feel in my humble opinion.

The AJ500M cost $499 when it was new and in production. It is not uncommon to see them sell for $350 to $450 ..even years later..they hold their value.

none the less...go by the way the guitar sounds and feels to YOU, and no one else. Then choose the one that is just right for you. and you will make the right decision!

Here are 18 random reviews from the MF site, when the AJ500 was for sale during its production which has now ended. Just scroll down in that site to find them, the guitar is not for sale but the reviews are still in there from when it was.. They are just opinions, but in the end..it is YOUR opinion that counts!

Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M

http://www.musicians...acoustic-guitar

And here are MF Texan reviews 26 of them.

http://www.musicians...c-guitar/581880

Yes, the electronics are cool and worthy of further consideration. First thing I did when I brought it home was put on new EJ16 strings. It was a 5 string at the shop.

I bought it new for $299, in store special, I'm guessing because of a missing string the missing Epsilon from the pick guard. I just don't understand why the shop let a guitar hang on the wall with a string missing.

I picked up the Masterbilt for the same price plus $27 shipping used.

$299????? Have you got a fairy godmother hanging on your shoulder? $100 discount for a missing string and that silly E!!

Can you find me a J45 or a D45 (don't matter if they have no strings)?[rolleyes]

Between the 2 I would keep the Masterbilt. When played either soft or loud I very clear and defined tones from my AJ. Much better intonation than my Texan had. You can feel the sound move through the hole body in the AJ. I set mine up with pretty low action, and I use a capo a lot and don't loose the note clarity. I am not a fan of the matte finish either, but it does have a certain retro quality look to it. The color of mine as the top ages is really spot on to me, I am planning on getting some buffing compound and working the sides and back to bring out some of thee beautiful grain. Plus at 299.00 that is a steal.

Between the 2 I would keep the Masterbilt. When played either soft or loud I very clear and defined tones from my AJ. Much better intonation than my Texan had. You can feel the sound move through the hole body in the AJ. I set mine up with pretty low action, and I use a capo a lot and don't loose the note clarity. I am not a fan of the matte finish either, but it does have a certain retro quality look to it. The color of mine as the top ages is really spot on to me, I am planning on getting some buffing compound and working the sides and back to bring out some of thee beautiful grain. Plus at 299.00 that is a steal.

A good set up done by a qualified professional will leave you with a guitar with no buzz and spot on intonation. That goes for any Epiphone, Gibson, Martin, Taylor, etc.

I lose no clarity whatsoever when using a capo on my Texan.

As for feeling the sound through the body...that also applies to the Texan...in spades.

Laminate sides does not bring down the Texan. No way, no how. It serves to strengthen the guitar and keep it from cracking over time.

The Texan looks AND sounds like an old time guitar in every good way possible.

I played a new Masterbilt cutaway. It offered no sonic or playability improvement over my IB64.

I do love that Masterbilt headstock though!

I bought it new for $299, in store special, I'm guessing because of a missing string the missing Epsilon from the pick guard. I just don't understand why the shop let a guitar hang on the wall with a string missing.... I picked up the Masterbilt for the same price plus $27 shipping used.

Man, those are both really good deals. At prices like that, you should keep them both! [thumbup] As is evident from the replies in this thread, there's little question that these are both really good guitars.

Man, those are both really good deals. At prices like that, you should keep them both! [thumbup] As is evident from the replies in this thread, there's little question that these are both really good guitars.

Yeah, It's a shame I can't keep both guitars, but my old lady ain't havin that. I already own an Alvarez AP70. Of course my wife can see no reason for a second guitar, why would anybody need 3.

As for feeling the body of the AJ ring out sound, it is beautiful. The Texan does it somewhat, but not as noticeable. I can't believe the weight difference, the Texan seems to weigh double what the AJ weighs, I know the Texan is filled with wires and a pickup, battery. As for the laminate sides, does that add weight? I agreed the sides must add some strength and durability, hopefully the AJ is not too delicate. I don't abuse my stuff, but stuff can happen unexpectedly. When I was shopping for a Masterbilt many shops I talked with by phone, told me that the guitar had cracked tops, probably due to humidity changes. I only heard that same comment about the Texan once.

Double?

EPIPHONE:

IB64-Texan: 4.7 lbs (Epiphone.com)

AJ-220S: 4.6 lbs (Epiphone.com)

AJ-500M: 4 lbs (Amazon.com)

GIBSON:

J-15. 4.6 lbs (Sweetwater.com)

J-29. 4.8 lbs (Sweetwater.com)

J-35: 4 lbs (Sweetwater.com)

J-45 Standard: 4.5 lbs (AmericanMusical.com)

J-45 Custom: 5 lbs (Sweetwater.com)

Advanced Jumbo: 4.5 lbs (Sweetwater.com)

A good set up done by a qualified professional will leave you with a guitar with no buzz and spot on intonation. That goes for any Epiphone, Gibson, Martin, Taylor, etc.

I lose no clarity whatsoever when using a capo on my Texan.

As for feeling the sound through the body...that also applies to the Texan...in spades.

Laminate sides does not bring down the Texan. No way, no how. It serves to strengthen the guitar and keep it from cracking over time.

The Texan looks AND sounds like an old time guitar in every good way possible.

I played a new Masterbilt cutaway. It offered no sonic or playability improvement over my IB64.

I do love that Masterbilt headstock though!

The Texan is a good guitar. But the Masterbilt AJ's are overall better. They are not like the DR's that they have now, which are a lot like the Texan in tone and feel. The AJ's are made of a higher grade wood in my opinion. It also already has a bone nut and saddle on it which saves the cost of having them done. As long as you use a humidifier with either guitar you should be able to avoid any cracking or warping problems. But as was stated in an earlier post, it comes down to what guitar speaks to you. Cliffs Texan speaks to him and he is very passionate about it. To me my Texan didn't move me the way my AJ does. You really can't go wrong either way with the kind of deal you are getting.

Double?

EPIPHONE:

IB64-Texan: 4.7 lbs (Epiphone.com)

AJ-220S: 4.6 lbs (Epiphone.com)

AJ-500M: 4 lbs (Amazon.com)

GIBSON:

J-15. 4.6 lbs (Sweetwater.com)

J-29. 4.8 lbs (Sweetwater.com)

J-35: 4 lbs (Sweetwater.com)

J-45 Standard: 4.5 lbs (AmericanMusical.com)

J-45 Custom: 5 lbs (Sweetwater.com)

Advanced Jumbo: 4.5 lbs (Sweetwater.com)

Uh oh, my bad. It feels very heavy in my hands. Glad to know the facts.

Uh oh, my bad. It feels very heavy in my hands. Glad to know the facts.

It's all good, and you are certainly correct about the Masterbilt AJ-500M being very light. It's only equalled by Gibson's J-35. Still...the regular Epi slope shoulders are not heavy instruments by any means. The Texan's electronics weight add-on is exceedingly minor. There's only a .1 difference in the weight between it and the AJ-220S.

By comparison, the Epiphone Dove Pro weighs 5.5 lbs, which still comes in lighter than Martin's full size dreads.

For me it's hands down on the aj 500m. I had the opportunity on different occasions and different stores to try at least 4 i b texan's and for me I was totally disappointed but if it sings to you go for it.

For me it's hands down on the aj 500m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is Martin/Taylor quality at a fraction of the price. I love my AJ500M.

Never played a Texan, but can't imagine it being any better than this:

001_zps02ea3abf.jpg

I do not think The Texan is better than a Masterbilt. I do believe, however, that a good Texan that is set up properly rivals a Masterbilt.

Both guitars have their strong points. For me it's a preference for the feel of the neck and the tone is smoother in the AJ, my opinion. If it were my preference to play plugged in and have a cool lookin glossy guitar. Then the Texan would be my choice. It has more of a growling quality sound. Still a tough choice.

Anybody use Martin SP strings on their Masterbilt?

Anybody use Martin SP strings on their Masterbilt?

As you know, i don't own a Masterbilt, but I currently have Martin SP strings on my Texan and I hate them. I will be switching back to my trusty D'Addario EJ16 PB strings when I get back home (I'm out of town at the moment).

Archived