Gibson Brands Forums

Cost of a restoration.

Fatstrat

Unless the guitar is a basket case, you should only make necessary repairs. A neck re-set, re-fret, bridge (and bridgeplate) repair, crack repair, and brace re-glue fall into the category of "necessary repairs". Cosmetic wear is part of a guitar's history, and should be cherished, rather than "restored".

A 1952 J-50 in good structural condition (either repaired properly or original) is more valuable than the same guitar that has undergone a "restoration" that includes cosmetic repairs.

You want to find a good luthier with experience in vintage Gibsons to evaluate what the guitar needs to be structurally sound and playable. I'm sure Gibson could do it, but it might actually be better (and cheaper) to work with an independent luthier.

It would be useful if you told us what part of the country you are in.

Costs vary regionally, and by luthier. A neck re-set typically costs $300-$500. A re-fret around $300. Bridge repairs vary depending on the work, but I had a replacement bridge and bridgeplate done for about $400 on a vintage J-45 a couple of years ago.

It would be really helpful if you could post some photos of the front and back of the guitar, so we can get an idea of its general condition.

If it's a 1952, the FON stamped on the neck block will have a Z prefix.

Thanks everyone. I've decided against a restoration. The guitar is in decent condition, but IMO has some issues. Top behind the bridge appears bellied. And action is a bit high. Going to have my luither have a look-see.

Archived