Gibson Brands Forums

Intonation on an acoustic

Cougar

My 12-fret AJ500RC has intonation problems. This is very noticeable on the low E string, which is sharp when fretted - the higher the fret, the sharper the frequency. Oddly, all the other strings are only very slightly sharp when fretted - so slight, I could probably live with it. But I can't live with how sharp the low E string is when fretted.

The bridge re-glue, as is required with many RCs and which was reported before I got this guitar, looks OK. It's solid. Looking at the bridge more closely, I guess it could be placed closer to the sound hole than originally. It's not obvious. I get 6 1/4" from the bottom of the bridge to the bottom of the lower bout. Is that about right?

I'm in need of some advice here, guys. I'd like to know a little about what's going on before taking it in to my tech....

It's possible the saddle slot is wrong ether way your Luther will get it met likely both my guitars the Dr and Blueridge needed the intimation set .

I am surprised at the low E being off but don't know how any other folks had the E issue but if not off much and the saddle is of the wider type you might be able to adjust it .

I can't remember sharp is saddle back or forward ? Lol anyway your gas a tool that drop right in and tell him .

My Dr500mce had to have the saddle slot recut for the wider saddle then he could shape it for each string .

Spending money bites but it won't be that bad 175.00 on my end .

Good luck

Spending money bites but it won't be that bad 175.00 on my end .

That's pretty bad, lol. I did just have a new bone saddle cut for my EF500RAVS - $65 included a new set of Martin strings. Man, that is a booming guitar.

Oh, I guess I'll run the RC down to Tom at 'Local Music'. He's only open Tue-Sat in the afternoons. He'll probably say the bridge job wasn't that great, and the top is starting to take on a gull-wing shape, though that's barely noticeable by eye. I am, for my part, trying to keep it around 45% humidity in its case.

The 175 was complete set up and fret dress plus recuttng the slot on the bridge and new nut and strings like you mentioned .

I just looked at the Dr and the low E saddle has a intonation adjustment so it needed it like yours . My original saddle was skinny no way you could compensate for intonation .

One thing that interests me is if the bridges reset ( is that what you said ? ) was off would you not see it its old position on the top ? I'm thinking the clear coat repair would be noticeable . Then again maybe they did really good work on that side of it lol

If the bridges placement center wise from side to side was off you be able to see how the strings parallel the fret board edge. I seen some and you can in some guitars that are for sale online if the picture is right as well but you'll see if it's even between low E or High E or does it favor one side over the other leaving more meat exposed .

I realize that could also be a neck or finger board issue as well tricky these things are

Alright let us know how it goes .

Disclaimer

I know nothing about anything I type about proclaiming that I know something about guitars which I constantly get wrong when referencing other guitar issues my guitar issues are clearly a result of my sexy fingers which will break or damage anything they come in contact with there for becoming an issue that I know something about .

😜

The 175 was complete set up and fret dress plus recuttng the slot on the bridge and new nut and strings like you mentioned .

Well, I took her down to Tom at "Local Music." His one-man shop is ridiculous. It's so chock full of old beat up instruments, with nice ones on the walls, there's only room for one or two people in the place. Fortunately, I was the only one there. He's a good tech/luthier, though, and will bend your ear about luthiership and guitar lore.

Turns out the bridge is OK. He sound-tested then measured for correct intonation; a couple strings were pretty far off, but he said he could compensate for it cutting a new bone saddle. Widening the saddle slot would have been another $50. The nut was a bit high, so he'll trim that down. Can't wait to get her back!

Tom said he's a sucker for a 12-fret slot head. He started playing to hear her tone and would not stop! This AJ (Alice Jane) does have a big, remarkable tone!

rc260.jpg

That is such a beautiful guitar. Moves way up on my wish list. Glad it was a relatively easy fix.

Thanks, Az. They're darn rare. Yeah, I was glad she didn't need a bridge reset or something.

Love to hear it. When she's done .

You always say that, lol. I've got a little setup to do before getting back into multitracking. I think I'll pick up a Shure PGA57 and see how that goes.

It'll be $75. I'm happy to help Tom's business, and he's happy to make my guitars sound great. [thumbup]

Well, I took her down to Tom at "Local Music." His one-man shop is ridiculous. It's so chock full of old beat up instruments, with nice ones on the walls, there's only room for one or two people in the place. Fortunately, I was the only one there. He's a good tech/luthier, though, and will bend your ear about luthiership and guitar lore.

Turns out the bridge is OK. He sound-tested then measured for correct intonation; a couple strings were pretty far off, but he said he could compensate for it cutting a new bone saddle. Widening the saddle slot would have been another $50. The nut was a bit high, so he'll trim that down. Can't wait to get her back!

Tom said he's a sucker for a 12-fret slot head. He started playing to hear her tone and would not stop! This AJ (Alice Jane) does have a big, remarkable tone!

rc260.jpg

That's one sweet looking epipi

Don't be afraid to try out some MXL Mics then again maybe you have lol . I have the v63m and a blue Spark have to say V63m is a killer mic for recording .

And I always have to hear what these guitars sound like . Think about all the great guitars that YouTube has never seen or has seen but the recording is so horrid that you never consider buying that guitar anymore

Heres your chance to show the world how great these hard to find Epiphone guitars truly are

That plus I'm board so ....... Lmao

...have to say V63m is a killer mic for recording .

I looked at that. Looks nice for a reasonable price, but it requires phantom power. I've got that through my Tascam usb interface to the computer, but you couldn't plug it into an amp (without more hardware). I'm thinking that Shure PGA57 "instrument" mic would do just fine for acoustic guitar....basement tapes. :rolleyes:

Archived