Gibson Brands Forums

Greener Grass

Izzy

Is there a name for that thing that happens when you go to a shop and play a crap chinese guitar through a decent Peavy amp...and get all blown away though you know your own gear is WAY better?

I mean seriously, this chinese POS through a Classic 30 made me wanna JAM! And I DO jam every other day at least...I do like my gear, but I'm not usually that pumped...the heck is that called?! Besides GAS, or whatnot, lol.

Maybe it had to do with the fact that light weight no-name guitar had two p90s...which I don't own any p90 git-fids....and I feel left out.

Yo Izzy... Good to see you round these parts :)

Hows your music coming along? Got any new stuff for us?

Anyway.. yes well P90s do well and truly rock.. They are full of spank and growl... But they can take some time for folk to warm up to (and a lot of people hate the hum, which has never bothered me).

So maybe its inspiration? Or a momentary lapse of reason?

Mental instability?? :D

Or all of the above... lol.. Who knows.. But its fun finding out.

I've recently just bought a cheap HK Steinberger R-Trem copy. I started to have real doubts about it when I found it very difficult to both put it into tune and keep it in tune. I ended up locking the bridge and will keep it locked but it now stays in tune.

But you know what? I now love that cheap guitar and I've got plans for it!

because you stopped seeing the value of loud compared to the value of music.

Seriously, especially if we're doing rock, but even country - any "dance music," I think we first want loud; then we rethink and want "loud enough but playing better and sounding more balanced," then the third stage is "Hmmmm... now how can I get all those ideas working at the same time - more volume, but better sound."

m

Loud is the job of the PA system, not my amp...I learned that over time. I go to gigs and I think of back when I actually thought amps were cranked to reach the thousands on the stands of stadiums...seriously, how did I ever imagine that was even possible #-o

Now I just want it to break up a bit, or to be clean, or to roughen up DEPENDING on the song...and I let the ears judge, not the make or model.

I learned a lot on this forum....

Loud is the job of the PA system, not my amp...I learned that over time. I go to gigs and I think of back when I actually thought amps were cranked to reach the thousands on the stands of stadiums...seriously, how did I ever imagine that was even possible #-o

Now I just want it to break up a bit, or to be clean, or to roughen up DEPENDING on the song...and I let the ears judge, not the make or model.

I learned a lot on this forum....

That's it right there.

Archived