Gibson Brands Forums

Help with short headstock flying v in white

Pete M

Hi, I am looking for a white flying v with a short headstock. Does anyone have information on what years the shorter headstocks were used, so I know what to look for on the used market? Every white V that I've found at a reasonable price has the longer "arrowhead" style headstock.

For example, the 2015 History model would be perfect if I could get it in white (unfortunately it is only available in cherry). Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm trying to keep this below $2K.

Thanks!

Hi, I am looking for a white flying v with a short headstock. Does anyone have information on what years the shorter headstocks were used, so I know what to look for on the used market? Every white V that I've found at a reasonable price has the longer "arrowhead" style headstock.

For example, the 2015 History model would be perfect if I could get it in white (unfortunately it is only available in cherry). Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm trying to keep this below $2K.

Thanks!

Hi there. The shorter, more rounded, headstock first appeared on the 1971 Medalion LEM. After that it was on the standard production runs from 1975-1982 and on the various design variations around that time, such as the V2 (79-82), the Designer Series (84) and the "no pickguard," variations (81-89). The headstock you are looking for went away for good with the introduction of the 67' Reissue in 1989. From then until current, the body, neck, heel and headstock are based roughly (not exactly) on the 67 model and have the pointy headstock. This of course does not include custom shop stuff and other LEM's. So, short answer..., mid 70's - 89 is what you are looking for.

There are serval variations of the V design during that time period. Some are rare and very pricey, some are fairly common. The bottom line, you should be able to get into an 80's V in one of the more common variations (such as the Designer Series or no-pickguard) for your budget no problem. Once you get into the 70's or some of the more rare variations, you would have to bump up your budget.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded answer. I Hope that helps.

j.dub

Archived