Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-200 on a Motorcycle - Hoffee Case content!

joepopp

I am getting ready to shoot a pilot episode of a TV series where I tour the contiguous 48 states as a singer-songwriter on a motorcycle.

I have a mount designed for adapting a case to my 2002 Honda VFR800 but I think I will be needing a fiberglass case like a Calton.

I'm on a tight budget and don't think I can afford the Calton. I wrote them for possible sponsorship of the show with no response.

Is there another fiberglass case option for the mighty J-200?

I love the guitar so much I don't think I would tour with anything else.

Thanks a lot in advance folks!

Joe Popp

***UPDATE - Hoffee has sponsored Popp Over America! Here is the case mounted. Awesome American Company!

hoffeecase.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would contact Hoffee. If hey wouldn't sponsor, I would still use Hoffee and nothing else. Tell them You want their logo iin huge letters on the case.

Thanks Ajay. I came across them in research and those cases look incredible. Email Sent. Heck I'll get a Hoffee tattoo!

Thank you for the response.

Just another suggestion. Contact Harley-Davidson and see if they'll loan out a Road King or the like to tote you and the Guitar. That would be a big draw for viewer as Harley hold most of the Motorcycle market and they are looking for the young'n's to join up too. [biggrin] Gotta have a HOG not a sport bike!!! :rolleyes:

Aster

Good luck with the tour idea. Any chance of seeing a picture of your cycle mount?

dan,

It's really just a combination of stuff that is available. I am using a GIVI adapter plate:

Caribou Adapter Plate

and affixing it to an aluminum plate the will join a standard GIVI mono rack mount. Still experimenting with guitar positioning but probably going to be similar to the Zmotorcases design:

Z motorcases

I will post pictures when I get it hooked up!

Just another suggestion. Contact Harley-Davidson and see if they'll loan out a Road King or the like to tote you and the Guitar. That would be a big draw for viewer as Harley hold most of the Motorcycle market and they are looking for the young'n's to join up too. [biggrin] Gotta have a HOG not a sport bike!!! :rolleyes:

Aster

Ha Ha! Yes that's what everybody says but I'm doing it my way, not pandering to the Harley crowd. I must hate money.

I'm doing it my way, not pandering to the Harley crowd.

Bingo.

I'd much rather see it being done on a 13 year old Honda. If you had a loaner Harley they'd make you wear all the doo-rags, T-shirts, and other pirate crap.

In fact, I'd rather see you play a few gigs to make enough to BUY the case and not be beholden to ANYONE.....

Just sayin'......

Here's wishing you the very best of luck.

[thumbup]

Eastman makes some fiberglass cases. I don't know much about them or if they make a jumbo size that'll fit. Here's a link but it's not very useful. I think the fiberglass cases are in the $600.00 range but I'm not sure.

http://www.eastmanmusiccompany.com/products/cases/

Here's something for like $320.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Eastman-Fibreglass-Acoustic-Guitar-Silver/dp/B00F2K6J6C

I can't help you with a case but I'm looking forward to the series!

Can't take a Harley or it'll take a year to get anywhere with all the petrol stops! :)

Hey, I get 45-55 mpg depending on which one of my 3 I ride! [biggrin]

Ya know, the only 3-some that tops Guitar, Harleys, & Hotrods as a mix it the big one:

Father Son & Holy Ghost!!! :rolleyes:

Aster

I would contact Hoffee.

My L-5 lives in a custom made Hoffee carbon fiber case, but...... the buy-in is not for the faint at heart. My problem was that nobody I could find made a stock off-the-shelf 17" case to fit an L-5 size guitar. However..... many mfg's do make 16" "jumbo" cases, at very reasonable prices.

My L-5 lives in a custom made Hoffee carbon fiber case, but...... the buy-in is not for the faint at heart. My problem was that nobody I could find made a stock off-the-shelf 17" case to fit an L-5 size guitar. However..... many mfg's do make 16" "jumbo" cases, at very reasonable prices.

Isn't the J-200 based on the same 17" body plan as the L-5/L-7?

Bingo.

I'd much rather see it being done on a 13 year old Honda. If you had a loaner Harley they'd make you wear all the doo-rags, T-shirts, and other pirate crap.

In fact, I'd rather see you play a few gigs to make enough to BUY the case and not be beholden to ANYONE.....

Just sayin'......

Here's wishing you the very best of luck.

[thumbup]

Agreed Murph! I probably will end up bying the case as a lot of the companies are smaller. I won't use stuff I don't believe in!

Eastman makes some fiberglass cases. I don't know much about them or if they make a jumbo size that'll fit. Here's a link but it's not very useful. I think the fiberglass cases are in the $600.00 range but I'm not sure.

http://www.eastmanmusiccompany.com/products/cases/

Here's something for like $320.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Eastman-Fibreglass-Acoustic-Guitar-Silver/dp/B00F2K6J6C

I found that case too on Amazon! I wrote the company but no response yet to see if it fits a J-200.

I don't mind spending the money for the J-200. This is the axe I've wanted my entire life! Just broke from production expenses!

I have a Hiscox Liteflight Pro II dreadnaught case that I really like. Did a good job of protecting my J-50 in the checked baggage on a trip to Europe last year. No idea if it would be appropriate for your use though. I got mine at Elderly instruments using one of the 10% discount coupons that often pop up when you go to their site. Cost was about $250.

I have a Hiscox Liteflight Pro II dreadnaught case that I really like. Did a good job of protecting my J-50 in the checked baggage on a trip to Europe last year. No idea if it would be appropriate for your use though. I got mine at Elderly instruments using one of the 10% discount coupons that often pop up when you go to their site. Cost was about $250.

It appears they carry the Artist series too which is pricier but even tougher than the Pro II. Thank for the info Boyd! Might go this way after all.

I spent awhile agonizing over the Pro II vs Artist. For your use, it makes sense to get the absolute best protection. It seemed like more than I needed for air travel though, and the Pro II is lighter, which is a plus. I was surprised that the Hiscox case is noticeably lighter than my original Gibson 2008 case in fact.

I assume that you need something waterproof though. I would be comfortable carrying my Hiscox around on a rainy day, but just don't know how well it would do in rainstorm on a motorcycle at high speeds for hours at a time. Seems like you would want something that seals with rubber gaskets for that.

I spent awhile agonizing over the Pro II vs Artist. For your use, it makes sense to get the absolute best protection. It seemed like more than I needed for air travel though, and the Pro II is lighter, which is a plus. I was surprised that the Hiscox case is noticeably lighter than my original Gibson 2008 case in fact.

I assume that you need something waterproof though. I would be comfortable carrying my Hiscox around on a rainy day, but just don't know how well it would do in rainstorm on a motorcycle at high speeds for hours at a time. Seems like you would want something that seals with rubber gaskets for that.

Good point Boyd. I still might try to wrestle the SKB Jumbo Waterproof onto the bike but it is a beast!

SKB Jumbo Waterproof

Just a word of caution. Whatever you decide on paint it silver. People will see you a lot better and it will reflect the sun's heat a bit. Your J-200 will be out in the elements and the sun and heat can be a guitar killer for sure. I ride a 84 Honda. It's a bit long in the tooth but will still go 150 mph. 1100 V-4 with 126 horses.

I live in Bozeman and would suggest you ride up to Montana for an episode of your T.V. series. We have amazing roads to travel and I will take you over the "Beartooth Highway". There is nothing like it. Maybe even the "Going To The Sun" as well. Let me know and maybe I can help you get a tour of the Gibson factory. It's a great place to visit. Lots of good folks here. I would suggest a night on the town with me and Jason Jones. Jason has been at Gibson from before they laid the first bricks. Me? Hell I came in with John Bozeman and Big Jim Bridger.

I would suggest everyone here take a minute and Google "Going to the Sun Highway". It won't be open for a while but it is truly and amazing experience. It would make for good T.V. Google the "Beartooth Highway" as well. Riding the pass and playing a J-200 at Old Faithful in Yellowstone would be a wonderful episode. I have done it many times.

For all the Harley pilots; Bozeman is on the way to Sturgis for most of the Northwest. You can stand outside of the Gibson plant and listen to the Harleys rumble past day and night for a couple of weeks when Sturgis is going.

Hope you come out this way and whatever you decide I am looking forward to your series. Ride safe and play well.

Archived