Gibson Brands Forums

Bird gathering

E-minor7

60's guitars?

Worth noticing that the sound heard is produced by an adjustable wooden saddle and a tuno-o-matic ditto. 2 of the genuine G-flavors.

I'd say the H-bird is from 5-6 or 1967 and the Dove perhaps even earlier. Surely a few layers older than the charming chicks. .

Worth noticing that the sound heard is produced by an adjustable wooden saddle and a tuno-o-matic ditto. 2 of the genuine G-flavors.

I'd say the H-bird is from 5-6 or 1967 and the Dove perhaps even earlier. Surely a few layers older than the charming chicks. .

But.... but... the Internet says Adj saddles are bad on Gibsons so it must be true, right ?

But.... but... the Internet says Adj saddles are bad on Gibsons so it must be true, right ?

We actually have a fair debate on this topic here around these pages.

No doubt it can be a very good idea to exchange an adjustable insert for an ordinary bone saddle, but one member fx noticed a loss of bass in the act and I personally wouldn't get rid my ceramic saddle in the '63 SJ. Neither would the ceramic saddle in the 1964 J-45 located in a backroom in the other part of town (for which I sub-gas) be removed.

It simply incarnates too much classic Gibson-flavour.

That said, I admit not to have rosewood in any of my adjustables, but it could happen in connection with certain recordings and the inserts lie ready.

The clip above is a fine illustration of how a recorded guitar can do extremely well with less sharp highs - and the really fill its role with the rounded mellow voice of wood.

Even though the same guit might be too quiet in an all acoustic gathering.

Besides the SJ, I also have a CW with an old-vase-ivory insert, which makes that 65'er the glazer of honey-glazers. At times too sticky - other times a dream. And yet another mid-60's CW with fixed bone saddle.

No, it's not that I wanna change that back to screws and porcelain, but I really respect and enjoy the nuances of that basically same square hog sound.

And btw feel pretty relieved the Board-members have been able to shine nuanced light on this ever intriguing theme.

I have a 57 J-50 with the ADJ option - sounds really really good with both the ceramic insert, and the bone. Over the years I have played a handful of muddy thuddy ADJ models, and so always tried to avoid them. Then I watched Gillian Welch play her 56, got my 57, and dashed the ADJ bias I had. There can be some really good ones out there in the mix.

Very nice indeed. The Hummingbirds are the right color and the ladies are amazing. It always amazes me when I hear siblings harmonize. There is nothing quite like it. The Everly brothers come to mind as well. Does anyone here remember the Lennon sisters or maybe the Andrew sisters?

This is the way to start a wonderful day. Monday morning and the sun is shining and it's going to be a great Spring day up here in Montana. I'm sitting in the back yard watching the birds, drinking my first cup of coffee and listening to the ladies for the 3rd time.

Just so you know this is the first Monday in over 20 years that Val Bolitho isn't at Gibson doing her wonderful work. Val has officially retired. Congratulations on a great career Val. You will be missed.

Aaaahhh. Retirement. When you're finally grown up enough to do what you want when you wake up every morning!

And, yes. I remember the Lennon Sisters. Andrews - a little before my time. But, who HASN'T heard "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B" ?

Archived