Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Standard Tuning Issues

Dot68

Hi Guys,

New member here.

I've just bought an Epiphone LP Standard Metallic Gold.

I think this is a very well appointed guitar for the money,but I can't keep the bloody thing in tune.

Tried lubing the nut to no avail.Haven't tried new strings yet,just wondering is changing the nut on these things the only solution?

I'm used to rock solid Tele's but I like the shorter scale LP.

The pick ups aren't bad to be fair.Frustrated!

Cheers.

Factory strings can be hit and miss.

I'd start here. New strings. Lord only knows how long those factory things have been on there. It's the first thing I do with a new guitar.

Had terrible problems keeping my LP in tune when I bought it which was cured completely by replacing the badly cut oem nut with a correctly cut one. Cheap(ish) fix and well worth doing before anything else on the guitar.

Replaced the factory strings with GHS Boomers 10's. Seems to be a whole lot better.

Thanks Guys

😎

Sometimes it's the simplest of things. Glad it all worked out for your (so far).

Very important to wrap your strings properly. That way they will almost never go out of tune. I always do the wrap lock when re-stringing.

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?4838-quot-Locking-quot-guitar-strings-on-non-locking-tuners

I'd been doing it this way for years, and recently decided to try the Taylor Guitar method (precut the strings to length, don't "wrap" them, just start winding. Well, I have two words - Never again I'm back to wrapping them. Have never had any tuning issues this way either.

I'd been doing it this way for years, and recently decided to try the Taylor Guitar method (precut the strings to length, don't "wrap" them, just start winding. Well, I have two words - Never again I'm back to wrapping them. Have never had any tuning issues this way either.

Yeah, I've tried other methods as well. But I figure, if it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

One other thing to remember, Grovers (and others) have a screw that holds the "knob" onto the tuner.

That screw also controls the tension on the shaft. Make sure they aren't loose.

BUT DO NOT APPLY A LOT OF TORQUE TO THE SCREW!

IT WILL BREAK> Just snug it with a small screw driver.

One thing I have noticed on virtually all of my Epiphones (Dots, Sgs & Crestwood) is the nut slotting. The slots tend to be too tight, and they are not slotted deep enough, particularly on the B & G strings. Of course this tight slotting can result in the guitar being out of tune after bends, or using the vibrato. Open chords can sound disharmonic when playing open chords if the slotting is not deep enough. The result is notes within the chord having a sharper pitch because the string is being slightly stretched since it it actually too high. If you do not plan to replace the nut, at least have it re-slotted (ease the slots).

One thing I have noticed on virtually all of my Epiphones (Dots, Sgs & Crestwood) is the nut slotting. The slots tend to be too tight, and they are not slotted deep enough, particularly on the B & G strings. Of course this tight slotting can result in the guitar being out of tune after bends, or using the vibrato. Open chords can sound disharmonic when playing open chords if the slotting is not deep enough. The result is notes within the chord having a sharper pitch because the string is being slightly stretched since it it actually too high. If you do not plan to replace the nut, at least have it re-slotted (ease the slots).

This!^^^^^^^^^!

The importance of a properly cut nut can not be overstated! It is essential to precise intonation AND tuning stability. There are of course other factors eg; fret level, relief, saddles, decent tuners. However these will all fail their part when the nut is imprecise.

Archived