Gibson Brands Forums

ES 5 Switchmaster

Ian s

New addition to the family a couple of days ago - a blonde Switchmaster (photos soon!) Very nice guitar indeed :-)

Usually the first thing I do with a new guitar is change the stock fitted "rubber bands" for heavier strings - on my 175 it's SEG-900s, .11 to .52 (These seem to be discontinued however)

But, to my surprise, with the Switchmaster I actually really like the stock strings! They seem quite heavy compared to my 175, but that might just be a product of the longer scale?

So, can anyone tell me:

A. What the current stock strings fitted on a new Switchmaster are?

B. If they have any recommendations for a suitable replacement for the apparently now unavailable L5 SEG-900 11-52s for the 175. I'm down to my last few sets now....

I think they come with 12's like they string the L5's with. My 2010 Switchmaster had pretty heavy gauge strings from the factory when it arrived, much heavier than when I bought my ES 175.

I think they come with 12's like they string the L5's with. My 2010 Switchmaster had pretty heavy gauge strings from the factory when it arrived, much heavier than when I bought my ES 175.

Same for me - my 175 arrived with some pretty light ones on, which came off more or less straight away. But on the Switchmaster, I agree, they feel like 12s.

PS, blonde Switchmasters look beautiful - it's nice to see them making them again in that finish. Look forward to seeing your pics. Congrats on the new guitar, I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much, I love mine [thumbup]

Thats a great looking guitar...I had no idea they made those. It gushes class!!!

Yeah, and feels and sounds as good as it looks. This one is how all Gibsons should be :-)

• 3 months later...

Archived