Gibson Brands Forums

Any SG Future Tribute 2013 owners?

Andeus

Hello,

so I recently came upon a good deal between three 2013 guitars: a LP Future Tribute (Vintage Sunburst), a SG Future Tribute (Cherry) and a SGJ (Cherry).

Problem is I can't decide which one I like the most, so at this point it's all in the details: I love that color on the LP but it's the heaviest whereas the SGs are lighter with better access.

The SGJ is about 200$ cheaper than the Future Tribute, but both Tributes come with 57 Classics which along with other details might be worth the difference.

Both Future Tributes are with the Steinberger gearless tuners, which I don't mind.

Now comes the question: Anyone knows if the SG Future Tribute has any neckdive issues? How balanced is it while standing up?

Unfortunately they are all in the distributor's warehouse, and not in the shop, so I can't try them out myself.

Hello,

so I recently came upon a good deal between three 2013 guitars: a LP Future Tribute (Vintage Sunburst), a SG Future Tribute (Cherry) and a SGJ (Cherry).

Problem is I can't decide which one I like the most, so at this point it's all in the details: I love that color on the LP but it's the heaviest whereas the SGs are lighter with better access.

The SGJ is about 200$ cheaper than the Future Tribute, but both Tributes come with 57 Classics which along with other details might be worth the difference.

Both Future Tributes are with the Steinberger gearless tuners, which I don't mind.

Now comes the question: Anyone knows if the SG Future Tribute has any neckdive issues? How balanced is it while standing up?

Unfortunately they are all in the distributor's warehouse, and not in the shop, so I can't try them out myself.

I would go with the Les Paul over the SG . But then again I may be a little bias because I prefer the LP over SG's any day. I think les pauls have a much better tone and feel over SG's. But that's just me. At the end of the day nothing sounds better than a Gibson weather it's a LP or an SG!

I've heard alot of great things about the SG J's. As for the LP vs SG tonewise, it's all subjective. My SG with 57's sounds every bit as ballsy, punchy and crunchy as my LP and may even have a slightly better mid range push which cuts through the mix a little better. If you can play them all and see which is for you, thats best. If not, they are all cool guitars, so, you can't really go wrong.

I almost ordered an SG Future Tribute, for my luck I could control my gas and didn't.

I think it's an awesome guitar for a really good price, but I needed the money for something else.

But they almost made me forget that.

I would base my decision on this:

1. Wich one look's best to you. I personally dig the looks of the FT more, inlays, finish, zebra coil's etc.

2. Weight: The LP has modern weight relief but will still weight more than an SG.

3. Neck shape: That is far more important than the look's! The SGJ has a 50's rounded profile vs. the Future's asymmetrical profile.

You may try to find those necks on other guitars in a local store, this will make your decision much easier.

4. I love the satin finish on my LPJ 13, but it wears down really fast. Not much finish on them.

On the back where the strap is rubbing against the body I soon started to see wood. No problem for me, first it's on the back and second that gives her mojo.

I think the vintage gloss finish will protect a little more.

5. Tone: SGJ has 490's and the FT's have 57 and 57+.

I heard a lot of people that love the 490's I didn't, at least not in my LPJ.

Swapped them with 57 neck and Angus Young Sig. on the bridge, now I'm a happy camper.

Youtube videos can give you a vague idea of how those PU's can sound in comparison.

Or again, try to find those PU combos in guitars at a store where you can try them.

Oh, almost forgot, neck diving!!!

If you have a good leather strap, with untreated leather on the side that contact's your body it won't slip.

And because of that your guitar will not do neck dive.

Greetz and good luck on your hunt.

Marcos

I almost ordered an SG Future Tribute, for my luck I could control my gas and didn't.

I think it's an awesome guitar for a really good price, but I needed the money for something else.

But they almost made me forget that.

I would base my decision on this:

1. Wich one look's best to you. I personally dig the looks of the FT more, inlays, finish, zebra coil's etc.

2. Weight: The LP has modern weight relief but will still weight more than an SG.

3. Neck shape: That is far more important than the look's! The SGJ has a 50's rounded profile vs. the Future's asymmetrical profile.

You may try to find those necks on other guitars in a local store, this will make your decision much easier.

4. I love the satin finish on my LPJ 13, but it wears down really fast. Not much finish on them.

On the back where the strap is rubbing against the body I soon started to see wood. No problem for me, first it's on the back and second that gives her mojo.

I think the vintage gloss finish will protect a little more.

5. Tone: SGJ has 490's and the FT's have 57 and 57+.

I heard a lot of people that love the 490's I didn't, at least not in my LPJ.

Swapped them with 57 neck and Angus Young Sig. on the bridge, now I'm a happy camper.

Youtube videos can give you a vague idea of how those PU's can sound in comparison.

Or again, try to find those PU combos in guitars at a store where you can try them.

Oh, almost forgot, neck diving!!!

If you have a good leather strap, with untreated leather on the side that contact's your body it won't slip.

And because of that your guitar will not do neck dive.

Greetz and good luck on your hunt.

Marcos

I have a 2013 Les Paul Future Tribute, a 2013 SGJ and a 2013 Les Paul LPJ. The weight of the Future is less than the LPJ. The '57 and '57 plus pickups on the Future sound great. And the thinner asymmetrical neck on it is really nice. Compared to the baseball bat of a neck on my 08 SG Special and the SGJ. I also swapped out the 498T on the Les Paul LPJ and put it in the SGJ. That really made the SJG sound so much better than the 490T that was in it. I never really liked the LPJ to begin with. About to sell it anyway. Just bought an ebony SG 60's Tribute.

The Future didn't have the Steinberger tuners in it when I bought it. The guy replaced them with Gotoh locking tuners. They are great. The Steinberger's are great too. Just kind of strange not seeing the keys on the headstock.

Of the three of them I would have to say my SGJ is my favorite to play. It's a no frills guitar. But it just feels great.

I have a 2013 Les Paul Future Tribute, a 2013 SGJ and a 2013 Les Paul LPJ. The weight of the Future is less than the LPJ. The '57 and '57 plus pickups on the Future sound great. And the thinner asymmetrical neck on it is really nice. Compared to the baseball bat of a neck on my 08 SG Special and the SGJ. I also swapped out the 498T on the Les Paul LPJ and put it in the SGJ. That really made the SJG sound so much better than the 490T that was in it. I never really liked the LPJ to begin with. About to sell it anyway. Just bought an ebony SG 60's Tribute.

The Future didn't have the Steinberger tuners in it when I bought it. The guy replaced them with Gotoh locking tuners. They are great. The Steinberger's are great too. Just kind of strange not seeing the keys on the headstock.

Of the three of them I would have to say my SGJ is my favorite to play. It's a no frills guitar. But it just feels great.

Wow you have lot's of J's dude.

People often say that they like the 498T more than the 490T in their SG's!

Archived