Gibson Brands Forums

Experience with "guitar polish scratch remover"

Hello!

Some months ago I bought an old Gibson L-50, made in the year 1934. It already is in a quite good condition for its age with a nice finishing and only a few small scratches (as you see on the attached pictures). Days ago I watched a commercial on Youtube showing how to remove scratches with a product called "guitar polish scratch remover". (http://www.guitarscratchremover.com/) It seems that it works out fine and that's why I wanted to know if anyone here in this forum has any experience with this product. Does it make sense to use it also in my case/with my guitar or do I have to take the risks if it doesn't work or could it even destroy the finishing? Thanks for answers!

post-72009-090366600 1430830481_thumb.jpg

post-72009-087423300 1430830498_thumb.jpg

post-72009-086282500 1430830505_thumb.jpg

I haven't used the product, but I would be reluctant to use it on a vintage guitar. Your guitar looks clean and in very good condition, so you may only need an occasional polish with a conventional, non-abrasive polish containing no silicone or abrasives, like Gibson Pump Polish. A few scratches on a vintage guitar are no big deal, so I'd live with them.

For vintage guitars with dirty finishes, a lot of people here (including me)use Virtuoso Cleaner (for heavy-duty finish cleaning and restoration), followed by Virtuoso Polish (to bring up the gloss).

You usually have to order Virtuoso products online, as they aren't necessarily in the typical guitar store.

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

+1

However, if the guitar has already developped checking, You should consider not using any compound at all. It might fill up those hairline cracks of the lacquer and dry there, leaving a permanent mark on the surface.

Such guitars, are usually cleaned using a pure cotton rag lightly dampened with deionized water, or in case of stubborn junk: with naphta (lighter fluid).

The scratch remover, - I guess - is a more abrasive polisher, - probably - very similiar to automotive products, that might remove too much lacquer from the already thin, aged finish.

Cheers... Bence

I think Bence gives you good advice. (as he usually does)

think of them as age marks and lines on a persons face!

I'd let em be.. there's no way an 80 year old guitar "should" look new! :)

Hello guys!

To be honest, I already did some polishing with the "GIBSON Vintage Reissue Restoration Kit". (http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/guitar-cleaning-0104-2011.aspx) And to be true, I was really satisfied with the result. Maybe that's also why the guitar looks that good. ;-) But now - since j45nick told me about a Gibson "Pump polish" and also a polish called "Virtuoso Polish" I'm curious about whether one of them would optimize the result I already have?

And again, thanks for your time and answering!

Virtuoso products are top shelf. Far more involved than the pump polish and quite a bit more $$ too

as Bence has mentioned I wouldn't want to get any stuff in those little cracks where the finish has checked.

Archived