Gibson Brands Forums

DR-500MCE strap attachment

RRIDER

Just picked up a new DR-500MCE for one of my girls. The bottom strap pin / jack is hard to get a strap on securely. What do those of you with one of the Masterbilt AE guitars do? BTW, what a nice guitar, might end up with one for myself as well!

I usually take a sheet rock screw and screw it right thru the strap and into the body!

works great!

(just kidding)..

there's a few things available.

one is this: http://www.acousticstrapsecure.com/what-is-a-s-s/

(oh LPS beat me to it..)

that's another that;s just a nylon cord that attaches to the end jack and then you secure the strap to that.

Thanks for the replies. I like the part at stew mac, But it says for switchcraft and fishman get the standard, LR Baggs takes the metric. I don't have the guitar in my possession. Which is it for the Shadow electronics?

Hey Rrider the a$$ screw product should work fine lol to funny..... Ok so no taking advantage of my 16oz pop top Grolsch beer rubbers though I do have a ton of them lol

Anyway the output jack is standard in size and the product should work fine . 😃

I had the same problem with my Texan and it was driving me crazy cos try as i might i couldn't get it on and i was worried i'd end up damaging the guitar. I just ended up sticking a wide pen through the guitar strap hole and leaving it to stretch enough that i could get it on. Mine is still tight enough that it doesn't come off very easily but you can always get one of those washer thingymajigs if you are worried about it coming off when being played.

I think i misunderstood you so ignore my pen stretching advice. If it's just so loose that you are worried it will fall off try one of these thingymajigs, cheap as chips. http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_strap_blocks.htm

Apologies, I should try these things before I jump in.

Rubber washers are a tried and tested (and well documented) solution with normal strap pins, but I've just spent five minutes trying to get a strap on my dr500mce (I always play sitting down) and eventually gave up. And if I had of managed to get the strap on there I'm pretty sure there wouldn't have been any space left over to fit a rubber- not the greatest design feature on an otherwise fantastic guitar!

Hey Rrider the a$$ screw product should work fine lol to funny..... Ok so no taking advantage of my 16oz pop top Grolsch beer rubbers though I do have a ton of them lol

Anyway the output jack is standard in size and the product should work fine .

As said earlier I asked if the output jack has the standard SAE or metric threads. I'm getting conflicting answers. Agradeleous, you say it's the standard threads. I called Gibson/Epi customer service...they claim it's metric, but cannot confirm that the strap secure part will fit.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Endpins_and_Bridge_Pins/Acoustic_Strap_Secure.html

I got the thread sizes from Stew mac's site, figured for 50 cents I'd go to a hardware store and buy a bolt of each size to confirm for myself.

went to 3 major hardware stores today. not one had ever seen an M9x.75 bolt, or nut. Fine, I'll get the 3/8-32... Not to be found 3/8-24 was the closest thing available. I guess if I really want her to have this, I'm going to have to roll the dice and choose one or buy one of each (which I really don't want to do)

As said earlier I asked if the output jack has the standard SAE or metric threads. I'm getting conflicting answers. Agradeleous, you say it's the standard threads. I called Gibson/Epi customer service...they claim it's metric, but cannot confirm that the strap secure part will fit.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Endpins_and_Bridge_Pins/Acoustic_Strap_Secure.html

I got the thread sizes from Stew mac's site, figured for 50 cents I'd go to a hardware store and buy a bolt of each size to confirm for myself.

went to 3 major hardware stores today. not one had ever seen an M9x.75 bolt, or nut. Fine, I'll get the 3/8-32... Not to be found 3/8-24 was the closest thing available. I guess if I really want her to have this, I'm going to have to roll the dice and choose one or buy one of each (which I really don't want to do)

have you tried asking StewMac which one will fit?

have you tried asking StewMac which one will fit?

Sure did! They didn't know either.

I'm leaning toward it being metric. Shadow electronics that makes the E-sonic2 preamp is a German company.

Hey Rider, I feel your pain. I tried washers, gadgets, the pen in the hole for a week trick, all of those things.

Finally I hunted down a soft leather strap with a suede end. With time and diligence I coaxed that baby over the strap jack and have never taken it off. Using an Epiphone case, I find that there's ample room with a bit if creative folding to lay the soft strap on top of the guitar and latching the case up with no worries.

I've been doing that with mine at home and at gigs for over a year with no trouble.

Soft leather is your friend.

KiuBoaf.jpg

I'm sorry I'm off but it man the thing looks like lamp shape through bolt stock I bought a miniflex pick up I think it made here but not sure anyway nuts cross fit . The company says they fit other common brands so .......

Since most things like this are made over seas even fender stuff odds are .. .

Ok how about this .... It's double nutted so you take the finish strap nut off slide on the strap then put the finish nut on ..... Might work also if your daring enough you adjust the inside hack nut if there room to compensate if needed .

You have a lot good advice I'm sure you'll figure it out . 😃🎸

I'm sorry I'm off but it man the thing looks like lamp shape through bolt stock I bought a miniflex pick up I think it made here but not sure anyway nuts cross fit . The company says they fit other common brands so .......

Since most things like this are made over seas even fender stuff odds are .. .

Ok how about this .... It's double nutted so you take the finish strap nut off slide on the strap then put the finish nut on ..... Might work also if your daring enough you adjust the inside hack nut if there room to compensate if needed .

You have a lot good advice I'm sure you'll figure it out .

I really don't understand much of anything you just wrote! What does a miniflex pick up and fender stuff made overseas have anything to do with anything I asked here.

Hey Rider, I feel your pain. I tried washers, gadgets, the pen in the hole for a week trick, all of those things.

Finally I hunted down a soft leather strap with a suede end. With time and diligence I coaxed that baby over the strap jack and have never taken it off. Using an Epiphone case, I find that there's ample room with a bit if creative folding to lay the soft strap on top of the guitar and latching the case up with no worries.

I've been doing that with mine at home and at gigs for over a year with no trouble.

Soft leather is your friend.

KiuBoaf.jpg

Looks like a better strap might be in order....Thanks!

I got her a Gator case for it. I'm not sure about leaving a strap on all the time. I have mostly Gibson electrics and the leather can cause damage to the nitro finish. But like ag said..I'll figure something out.

A miniflex is a pick up system I installed it on one my guitars I also transferred it to my DR500

The threads and nuts are the same . If look at a lamp traditional ones they have a metal rod running through them the electrical cord goes through it is also threaded it's about the same size as the guitar jacks .thats here in the states not sure else where . Maybe I should have not mentioned my bad .

Your end pin jack has two nuts on it where the strap goes the one you see covers one underneath there's a third one on the backside inside the guitar it's used to set how far in or out the shaft needs to be to sit flush .

I'm used to not being understood lol and think everyone knows how to take things apart and put them back together another fault of mine . I've dismantled many a things

Anyway glad you found your way and sorry for the many scratches of your head reading my ramblings 😃

A miniflex is a pick up system I installed it on one my guitars I also transferred it to my DR500

The threads and nuts are the same . If look at a lamp traditional ones they have a metal rod running through them the electrical cord goes through it is also threaded it's about the same size as the guitar jacks .thats here in the states not sure else where . Maybe I should have not mentioned my bad .

Your end pin jack has two nuts on it where the strap goes the one you see covers one underneath there's a third one on the backside inside the guitar it's used to set how far in or out the shaft needs to be to sit flush .

I'm used to not being understood lol and think everyone knows how to take things apart and put them back together another fault of mine . I've dismantled many a things

The strap part thing that company makes says it fits fender my point is they use a lot of the same components

Anyway glad you found your way and sorry for the many scratches of your head reading my ramblings 😃

I understand how a lamp is made. I also know the output jack can be adjusted. I get that. Stewmac's site doesn't mention anything about the strap secure fitting Fender.

the question remains unanswered if the threads on the ouput jack are SAE, or Metric. Doesn't matter where it was made. According to Stewmac and the A.S.S. site L.R. Baggs are Metric. L.R. Baggs are found on some Gibson AE guitars and the Guitars are made in Bozeman Montana.

You said you take a lot of things apart. Me too. If you ever work on American made cars, you will find mostly metric nuts and bolts. It's not just the head of the bolt that is metric, it's the threads as well.

I have no beef with you. I'm just searching for an answer to my question, and you start talking about lamps and totally unrelated pick up system you installed.

I'll stop now.

Below I copied and pasted from stewmac:

Acoustic Strap Secure installs on your strap and threads onto the jack to replace the stock button. You can play plugged in or unplugged, knowing your strap can't slip off. Works for both straight and right-angle cables.

Crafted of 1"-diameter easy-grip knurled solid brass, to last a lifetime.

#0256 for standard jacks has 3/8-32 standard thread. A perfect fit for Switchcraft, Fishman output jacks and more.

#0256-M for metric jacks has M9 X .75 metric thread. Fits L.R. Baggs.

Yup your right I'm a complete dumb a$$ it was fishman they mentioned

And the vid was on YouTube sorry

At least they show standard and metric thread models . I be right back

Taking longer then expected it'll come wait for it lol

Was waiting for a reply from Shadow sometimes it takes a bit but it's most likely metric which means nothing at this point coming from me lol but since it's Mother's Day I might not here back today.

Happy Mother's Day to all our members moms here and to the ones that have left us .

Archived